Becoming a Trainer in Canada? - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » Training Discussion » Becoming a Trainer in Canada?

Training Discussion General training questions, that don't fit into another category go here.

tcat left
Becoming a Trainer in Canada?
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 04-06-2017, 11:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: IPO
Smile Becoming a Trainer in Canada?

Are there any Canadian-Trainers here that can give me some advice about becoming a trainer? There does not seem to be any specific designation for dog trainers, but a lot of different schools offering courses.

Technically speaking can't anyone can "claim" to be a dog trainer, or dog behaviouralist? -I guess it is an honesty thing? I do feel having some type of certification does give one more merit and trust. - and the learning definitely won't hurt you either :P.

Certification Council for Personal Dog Trainers (CCPDT) is what I found so far. It seems to be more of a test, like you go for your drivers licence. Knowledge (written test), followed by a skills test, both with requirements of knowledge and hands-on training. So, do you just read as many books as you can (Which I am currently doing. And they have a list of recommended material on the site), and then take the test? Pass, and you are a certified Dog Trainer?

Is it worth enrolling in classes through a 'Dog Training School', considering it can cost a few thousand dollars? Has anyone gone this route, and how did you enjoy it? Were you happy with your decision?

I guess the way people used to do it was by having a mentor, which seems increasingly difficult these days. (I am currently trying this method also. And no, I don't just say "hey you, will your mentor me." haha)

Would love to hear from some of you who have gone through, or are currently completing the process towards being a Trainer.
Dan Thi is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Please visit our Sponsor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2017, 07:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Personal Protection
Re: Becoming a Trainer in Canada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Thi View Post
Are there any Canadian-Trainers here that can give me some advice about becoming a trainer? There does not seem to be any specific designation for dog trainers, but a lot of different schools offering courses.

Technically speaking can't anyone can "claim" to be a dog trainer, or dog behaviouralist? -I guess it is an honesty thing? I do feel having some type of certification does give one more merit and trust. - and the learning definitely won't hurt you either :P.

Certification Council for Personal Dog Trainers (CCPDT) is what I found so far. It seems to be more of a test, like you go for your drivers licence. Knowledge (written test), followed by a skills test, both with requirements of knowledge and hands-on training. So, do you just read as many books as you can (Which I am currently doing. And they have a list of recommended material on the site), and then take the test? Pass, and you are a certified Dog Trainer?

Is it worth enrolling in classes through a 'Dog Training School', considering it can cost a few thousand dollars? Has anyone gone this route, and how did you enjoy it? Were you happy with your decision?

I guess the way people used to do it was by having a mentor, which seems increasingly difficult these days. (I am currently trying this method also. And no, I don't just say "hey you, will your mentor me." haha)

Would love to hear from some of you who have gone through, or are currently completing the process towards being a Trainer.
What gives you credibility is to show up with a dog that can do what you train and do it very well and then go get out another one you trained and demo it too not a piece of paper that cost you 5 grand.... Thats not what gets people attention. A piece of paper on the wall in a dollar store frame means squat IMO...I have seen way to many people who went and paid for the certificate and couldnt train a dog and still cant train a dog. Word of mouth is the most powerful tool you have in dog training. . You want to train dogs? train up a couple of dogs .... bring them up to the pet store on a nice day ... set up in the parking lot and do a little routine with your dogs and if you are getting her done. Before days end you will have dogs to train. I wish you the best of luck in your new venture
Brian Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-07-2017, 08:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Undecided

What Brian said.

Read books, attend seminars, take classes. Is there a specific field you want to train in? Pets? Problem dogs? Scent work? Protection Work? Sport training - agility, flyball? Competition obedience? Selling trained dogs?

Work on your people skills. If you don't have the owners on side, all the dog training ability you have goes nowhere.

I bet Rick will have some good advice.
leslie cassian is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!

Old 04-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Landshark

I highly recommend offering your services free to the pounds in the area. Go pick dogs that have behavioral problems and fix them ... go back and get another ..... dont get the easy ones get the ones that have some issues going on. I learned way more doing that than just working with shepherds ... I also suggest varying the types of training you do. I myself tend to get stuck in doing the same thing with the same kinds of dogs. Its great but not as much variance as you see with different breeds and styles of dogs. Train dogs at first that have no food drive and no motivation to do anything. Most people can take a crack head dog and get him to do some behaviours with some tidbits of food. Get the slug door stop mixed breed or whatever that eats the neighbors cats to do that LOL ...when you can get them to do things NOW you are training!

Please Register!
Old 04-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

Training: PSA

I have met many good trainers coming out of Tarheel K9 and Tom Rose school, if you don't want to go to school, I would go to a seminar from Bart Belon, Ivan Balabanov, Michael Ellis. FWIW, to get a certification from Tom Rose school, Shutzhund/IPO is a requirement to pass some courses, so it is not just a piece of paper, you have to title your dog, and yes some might say that IPO is not a good test for dogs, but to me it is a good test for handlers and if you can title a dog in IPO, you are at least a decent trainer.

Please Register!
Old 04-07-2017, 11:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Landshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
and yes some might say that IPO is not a good test for dogs, but to me it is a good test for handlers and if you can title a dog in IPO, you are at least a decent trainer.
You bet!

Please Register!
Old 04-07-2017, 04:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Police K9

Pretty much everything a trainer learned is from someone else. Like mentioned above...go to seminars, read as much as you can and, watch every dog team work. You can't become a decent trainer without putting your time in. Even then, it takes a certain person to be good at it. I've been doing it for 20 years professionally and even today I wouldn't call myself a "Master Trainer" like a few 20 somethings I've met who went to a trainer school.

Please Register!
Old 04-07-2017, 04:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Landshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Knauf View Post
Pretty much everything a trainer learned is from someone else. Like mentioned above...go to seminars, read as much as you can and, watch every dog team work. You can't become a decent trainer without putting your time in. Even then, it takes a certain person to be good at it. I've been doing it for 20 years professionally and even today I wouldn't call myself a "Master Trainer" like a few 20 somethings I've met who went to a trainer school.

I have in that neighborhood or more and Im far from what I consider a master trainer. Not even close. But I do aspire to that someday. Its easy to say that after that long we should know everything but its just to dynamic of a process I think to ever make that claim. Then add in working with highly volatile dogs (in some cases) and the water gets murkier and murkier as you get in deeper. I have been around a few I consider that good. I watched everything they did and do too.

Please Register!
Old 04-08-2017, 12:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Good advice, I appreciate it.

@Leslie; Right now I would really like to help new dog owners get their puppies settled into their homes. I know it can be quite the challenge for those who have never owned a pet before, and I know I have the skills to teach that basic groundwork, obedience and puppy house training to the dog, but more important to the handler/client. (I have seen puppy training programs at some of the major retail pet stores, and I feel they far over price the classes, and do not teach/relay enough information to the new pet owners.)

Longterm, Probably IPO/Schutzhund training, and maybe even rehabbing troubled dogs, so like an animal behaviourist, would be interesting. Although, I am new to the world of IPO, and I would first like to learn the sport as a student, and see how far I can take my dog in it. Before even considering anyone else's dog in this area, I have got a lot to learn in this department.

What I was considering was offering New Pet Owners free training sessions in exchange for a written, or video review, or something along that line.

Or would I be better off taking that time to do a course at an online dog training school, then attempting CCPDT Certification? In this case, I feel it is more of a $2-5000 piece of paper - as most degrees from schools generally are.... (Not to be confused with a paper that is titling your dog.) It is not really until you apply that knowledge in the real world, that you start to go somewhere. Then it is not much different from being partially self-taught through books and partially through hands-on-work, than it is to take a class for similar information. I feel the latter would come out behind, since they would lack that hands on experience people who take the first route would already have.

The other thing I was thinking was simply, offering trainers a hand for free, to get hands on training, and a good source of information, while also being helpful to the trainer. I did talk to some people who said they could use a hand (also they are fairly new to the business themselves.)

In the mean time, I continue to read books, and not just watch- but study videos. Also, the way I see it is, I don't think very many people who are truly "Masters" at what they do, are so humble as to calling themselves masters. I feel that comes from others insight of an individual based on that individual's success.
Dan Thi is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-08-2017, 12:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Thi View Post
Good advice, I appreciate it.

@Leslie; Right now I would really like to help new dog owners get their puppies settled into their homes. I know it can be quite the challenge for those who have never owned a pet before, and I know I have the skills to teach that basic groundwork, obedience and puppy house training to the dog, but more important to the handler/client. (I have seen puppy training programs at some of the major retail pet stores, and I feel they far over price the classes, and do not teach/relay enough information to the new pet owners.)

Longterm, Probably IPO/Schutzhund training, and maybe even rehabbing troubled dogs, so like an animal behaviourist, would be interesting. Although, I am new to the world of IPO, and I would first like to learn the sport as a student, and see how far I can take my dog in it. Before even considering anyone else's dog in this area, I have got a lot to learn in this department.

What I was considering was offering New Pet Owners free training sessions in exchange for a written, or video review, or something along that line.

Or would I be better off taking that time to do a course at an online dog training school, then attempting CCPDT Certification? In this case, I feel it is more of a $2-5000 piece of paper - as most degrees from schools generally are.... (Not to be confused with a paper that is titling your dog.) It is not really until you apply that knowledge in the real world, that you start to go somewhere. Then it is not much different from being partially self-taught through books and partially through hands-on-work, than it is to take a class for similar information. I feel the latter would come out behind, since they would lack that hands on experience people who take the first route would already have.

The other thing I was thinking was simply, offering trainers a hand for free, to get hands on training, and a good source of information, while also being helpful to the trainer. I did talk to some people who said they could use a hand (also they are fairly new to the business themselves.)

In the mean time, I continue to read books, and not just watch- but study videos. Also, the way I see it is, I don't think very many people who are truly "Masters" at what they do, are so humble as to calling themselves masters. I feel that comes from others insight of an individual based on that individual's success.
I'm in a similar boat. I'm working my first dog and adding a second very soon. I go to a trainer that is extremely accomplished in IPO. Online training like any schooling is limited. You can read all day, but what experience do you gain? I'm not sure what's offered in Canada, but there are schools in the US. However, they aren't cheap. Best idea for me is to immerse myself. Im looking into getting into a boarding kennel to gain experience.
Jeremy White is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!