Do You Lift a Leg When Your Dog is Stung by Jellyfish? - Page 2 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » Media » Dog News » Do You Lift a Leg When Your Dog is Stung by Jellyfish?

Dog News Dogs in the news, Trial results and other general news items go here. When posting news articles, please always link back to the original source of the article!

tcat left
Do You Lift a Leg When Your Dog is Stung by Jellyfish?
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 08-05-2016, 11:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog
Re: Do You Lift a Leg When Your Dog is Stung by Jellyfish?

I could see that being a real pain in the ass Bob.

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2016, 12:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole Stark View Post
I could see that being a real pain in the ass Bob.

You bet!

The group I hunted with wasn't into having a "badass" dog in the ground like some do.

Even if it wasn't for ethical reasons, which it was for us, a dog that gets busted up is going to be laid up for possibly a couple of weeks. No hunting!

A good baying dog in the ground wont close on the critter.

Wild critters will avoid getting hurt simply because being wounded will hamper it's ability to hunt.

Consequently no bite from the dog no fight from the critter

I've dug to boar coons that were curled up in a ball with their back turned to the dog.

The good baying dog puts just enough pressure on the quarry to keep it from escaping or moving around in the den.

No contact needed.

Also, aside from ethical reasons, we never hunt when fox, coon, ground hog cubs, kits, etc are in the ground.

Mommys of any sort ain't nothing to mess with.

In your instance if either your Dutch or your bully breed was crazy enough to make a serious effort to engage a bear or moose it wouldn't work out well at all.

That situation goes up in quantum leaps when a calf or cub is present.

Please Register!
Old 08-06-2016, 12:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Scott View Post
In your instance if either your Dutch or your bully breed was crazy enough to make a serious effort to engage a bear or moose it wouldn't work out well at all.
This I know.

The mastiff occasionally has seizures from getting kicked in the head and trampled by moose. The fact that she's managed to survive as long as she has is surprising. For years I just thought the dog was just roaming about and checking shit out. I now see how oblivious I was to what exactly was going on.

It wasn't until things started happening to her that I realized she was running game. It really hit home when she brought a massive slab of brown bear fat back from about a mile and a half away. I thought she was usually relatively close by. Nope. Apparently, she routinely traveled miles on her own. ****ing negligence…

Now I question if maybe I have a new problem. I've heard of Coyotes and their interactions with dogs. A young male came through the property last weekend while the mastiff was on the porch. It startled me and I wondered why neither seemed to notice the other. I'm not so sure they didn't. I was on the opposite side of the building when he stopped. He looked at me for a while and then walked off. I was surprised by how close to me he seemed comfortable with.

It's been a weird summer for me and the wild young. It'd make a great children's book and that's no joke. Anyway, who knows. Maybe it's nothing to concern myself with.

Please Register!

Old 08-06-2016, 10:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

IMO your Mastiff would be more apt to try and engage the quarry then the Dutch.

Coyotes have been know to bait a dog away from it's territory/yard and then double up on it.

I think I told the story about a friends Dalmation that was always chasing coyote from their property.

The Dalmation came back tore up pretty bad and missing it's nuts.

Now when it hears the coyotes howling it just shivers on the deck.

Coyotes here are only 35-40lb on average but two of them can really double team a big dog with little to no damage to them selves.

It's hit and duck with most of the damage to the dog from behind.

Please Register!
Old 08-07-2016, 12:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

She is. Hence that beaver story I told not too long ago. Left up to her, she would have kept with it until contact was made and probably ended up disemboweled.

I wasn't so sure the Coyote wasn't a displaced dog from 7-10 miles away. It was easily the size of the Dutch (65 lbs), in fact taller and bulkier. Perhaps what I was seeing was a very young wolf? I've seen one though, and that doesn't quite fit. I imagine I'm gonna find out what comes next, whether I want to or not.

Please Register!
Old 08-07-2016, 11:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

The Mastiffs were the original war dogs/catch dogs so it's in there genes to close in and get the jobv done.

Your Pit, English Bulldog, even the Boxer all the "bully" type breeds came down from the mastiff lines developed for different jobs.

I would think the coyotes there are that big based on the size of wolves in the lower 48 vs the Alaskan wolves.

If we see anything to much larger here chances are it a coydog.

Not to unusual.

In the North East US there is another "mix" usually called an Eastern Coyote but it's been found to be a coywolf and they are spreading.

Nat Geo had an hour show on them and I believe I've seen that program on youtube also.

Please Register!
Old 08-08-2016, 01:36 AM   #17 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

For sure the history of molossers dates back to at least the time of the Romans.

The Dutch is a bit of an enigma. There's pitty tendencies in this dog. But then there's also that drive stupid aspect of her that I don't always know what to do with except amuse children, of from time to time myself by bringing a little fight out of her.

There's definitely major differences in breeds that have a few of the prey sequences intact vs one with a nearly complete spectrum. Since I like to observe and study the differences between the two have been interesting to learn from.

As for this wolfen thing I saw, I'll keep my camera ready. And we'll see where that goes. Truthfully, while young, it was quite thin. I think I saw him out of sheer desperation and little more.

Please Register!
Old 08-08-2016, 11:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

How long has the Dutch been around as a separate "breed"?

I always looked at them as being a brindle Mal yet in the very early history of the GSD there were also brindle dogs.

Originally the Belgian Shepherd was divided by coat and color so I was curious how the Dutch came in there as a separate breed.

In the AKC there is the Mal, the Turv, the Gren and the Lackinwa.

Don't judge me on my spelling.

The UKC in the States list all of them as varieties of the Belgian Shepherd.

I believe that to be more correct.

No doubt the AKC didn't think the folks in Euro knew how to classify their dogs.

Please Register!