HGH Herding - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » Work Specific Discussion » Herding » HGH Herding

Herding Herding dog training, trials and other information.

tcat left
HGH Herding
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 12-09-2016, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Undecided
HGH Herding

Anyone here have experience with HGH herding and/or working with a trainer by the name of Ulf Kintzel?

I have an interest in starting my dog along that route but wanted to get some feedback before I decided anything.

As I understand it, HGH is more of a tending or boundary style of herding (versus the gathering style as used by Border Collie clubs and the AKC). I definitely have an interest in learning more about herding, and I think my dog has at least some basic drives there to do that kind of work.

Has anyone here trained their dog in that style of herding?
Has anyone worked with Ulf? He seems to be the big, and only, name in HGH for America.
Also, I have started, and continue to train my dog in game tracking (mostly for tracking wounded game on a leash). Does anyone see this activity as incompatible with herding?
Fred Patronus is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Please visit our Sponsor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2016, 11:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Re: HGH Herding

Ellen Nickelsberg, I believe in New Jersey is well know for the HGH herding.

I recall she has a very nice web page so I suspect if you look it up by typing in her name you'll come up with it.

Yes, it's completely different from the Border Collie typical style.

I believe the GSDCA has a form of it but using only a few sheep totally defeats the purpose of it IMHO.

Ideally you need 150 -200 sheep and space often limits that.

I've done the collie type herding in AKC with my now passed SCH III GSD.

He did a very nice job particularly in the gather but the GSD is a dog that will control often by gripping the wool on the withers to control the stock and AKC frowns on to much mouth work.

It's almost a necessity in HGH

The Traditional HGH work also required a protection phase where the dog had to protect the shepherd by attacking an intruder.

That's been watered down to where the dog only has to bark and the intruder.

If a dog has been trained in finding lost game it could possible create an issue if it somehow ran across scent when herding.

A Border terrier I taught sport tracking to could never pass up the scent of game when man tracking but I had hunted with him for a couple of yrs before I started man tracking with him.

Ignoring man tracks while herding never seem to be any issue with my SCH III dog.

Please Register!
Old 12-10-2016, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Scott View Post
Ellen Nickelsberg, I believe in New Jersey is well know for the HGH herding.

I recall she has a very nice web page so I suspect if you look it up by typing in her name you'll come up with it.

Yes, it's completely different from the Border Collie typical style.

I believe the GSDCA has a form of it but using only a few sheep totally defeats the purpose of it IMHO.

Ideally you need 150 -200 sheep and space often limits that.

I've done the collie type herding in AKC with my now passed SCH III GSD.

He did a very nice job particularly in the gather but the GSD is a dog that will control often by gripping the wool on the withers to control the stock and AKC frowns on to much mouth work.

It's almost a necessity in HGH

The Traditional HGH work also required a protection phase where the dog had to protect the shepherd by attacking an intruder.

That's been watered down to where the dog only has to bark and the intruder.

If a dog has been trained in finding lost game it could possible create an issue if it somehow ran across scent when herding.

A Border terrier I taught sport tracking to could never pass up the scent of game when man tracking but I had hunted with him for a couple of yrs before I started man tracking with him.

Ignoring man tracks while herding never seem to be any issue with my SCH III dog.
Have you trained in HGH?

Please Register!

Old 12-10-2016, 04:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

And yes, I did come across Ellen Nickelsberg as well. Her website does seem to have a lot of interesting articles on the topic of HGH and herding in general. However, I haven't been able to find any information about where she trains and what, if any, lessons/services she offers.

To my understanding, Ulf is the only one in the US who actually has a HGH club and kennel that trains dogs and conducts trials. He also is somewhat close by to me. If there is someone else who offers the same type of training, I'd like to hear about it, but so far I haven't come across anyone else.

Please Register!
Old 12-10-2016, 11:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

I have not trained in HGH.

What I know about it is from lots reading and seeing a lot of video on the subject.

Obviously that has nothing to do with actually doing it but I was once interested in it myself.

I did a bit of web surfing on it today and found these two e-mail addresses to both Ellen Nickelsberg and Ulf Kintzel.

I have no idea how up to date either one is but it's worth a shot.

Both seem to be in the NY area but if you contact them I would think they could give info on anywhere in the States yo could find other trainers for HGH.

Ellenn Nickelsberg - nicky@nyair.net

Ulf Kintzel - ULF@whitecloversheepherding.com

Please Register!