Working Bull Terrier overview - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » General Working Dog Discussion » Working Bull Terrier overview

General Working Dog Discussion If it's about working dogs and doesn't fit in another forum, it goes in here. General questions, general discussion, etc.

tcat left
Working Bull Terrier overview
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 01-30-2017, 05:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Personal Protection

Working Bull Terrier Kennel - Ph.Papadopoulos / M.Sila - http://www.workingdogforum.com/vBull...bullterrier.gr

It is true what they say, Bull terriers are not like other dogs. Among other traits they have a mind of their own, form strong bonds with humans , are very energetic and require training and an experienced handler - not the best choice for a first dog. They are the only dogs with triangular eyes and a propensity to "trance" on hanging objects. In general, they are either loved or loathed.
Since the onset of the breed Bull Terriers gained popularity amongst dog enthusiasts and have recently reemerged as a trend - which is not necessarily a good thing.
Bull Terriers make good family members and contrary to what most people think they excel in many terrains. Some are trained for Schutzhund but they are mostly trained for agility and weight pulling. These are sporting activities that Bull Terriers enjoy and are very good at.
As far as their working abilities are concerned Bull Terriers are a highly underestimated breed. They can be therapy , hunting or guard/protection dogs. As hunting dogs they are used for vermin control and on larger game to bite and hold down until the hunter can come. They are successfully used as guard/watch dog due to their natural instincts. Not to be confused with the attack dog which is a totally different case, a guard dog is used to guard against, and watch for unwanted or unexpected people or animals. The dog is discriminating so that it does not annoy or attack familiar people. They can also get attack dog training which means they are trained by a professional to defend or attack when is needed. Well-trained attack dogs are socialized, loyal, and unerringly obedient. They will not attack unless their owners are facing a threat or have commanded an attack. When it comes to this type of training, strength, calmness, loyalty, a love of humans, and a highly developed intelligence are required.
Whatever the training purpose , Sporting or Working there is one main prerequisite for us humans to keep in mind if we want our Bully to become anything but a couch potato : Keep their interest alive. Before you wake the Body force in a Bull Terrier you need to wake his Mind force.
Working English Bull Terriers are actually very hard to come by. They have been long established as show dogs and pets and are only recently making a comeback as working dogs. They have a different , lighter body type than show dogs, higher drives and are game dogs meaning they have the willingness to go on regardless of what state or condition the mind or body is in.
In comparison to other members of the bully family , they are less easy to train because of their tendency to try and be the trainers rather than the trainees and therefore require a patient and experienced trainer. It is very easy to give up on training an EBT so you need to be more "stubborn" than your dog and really fond of it to succeed.
I am very glad to see the veil of misconception around the working lines of Bull Terriers slowly rising and people starting to see them for what they really are. They are family members with working abilities and an active life. They have it in them to be this way and are trained to do so properly.
Personally I would like to see the gap between show and working bull terriers diminish and I am working towards this direction. In essence there is no reason why a working dog cannot be a show dog and no reason why a show dog should live an idle life.
phaidon papadopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Please visit our Sponsor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2017, 10:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Re: Working Bull Terrier overview

My brother had a White Bull Terrier back right before the whole Spuds Meckenzie fiasco started back in the 80s.

Norman was a show line dog but also did excellent in OB competition.

I agree with much of your description but I doubt very seriously if the gap between show and working will ever close much less get closer.

I could talk all day on that gap about MANY breeds and I just think it will never happen.

Breeding for working lines means breeding for a functional dog and not just a cookie cutter look as exists in the show word.

That "egg head" on the show line was bred for nothing more then the show ring.

Breeding for a working dog from that would make the show folks have kittens so you'll not get any help from them.

Same thing with the blocky, over wide front and body in general.

I do applaud your efforts if that's your goal.

Please Register!
Old 01-31-2017, 01:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

I'm listening or rather, you have my attention. Let's see what you have and what you are doing with them. I'm looking to expand my horizons a bit. So feel free to carry on with the discussion you started. Although, I am not interested in seeing the gap of any show/working breed lessen. It's there for a reason.

Please Register!

Old 01-31-2017, 01:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other

i've heard canine temperament described a 100 ways ... this one was a new approach : "Keep their interest alive. Before you wake the Body force in a Bull Terrier you need to wake his Mind force. "
....WTF is THAT supposed to ACTUALLY mean and does that specifically apply to bull terriers ????

the quote referenced a link. when i clicked on it i got a whole lot of nothing...

- overall, to me it read a lot like a VERY typical breed description that pops up whenever you google any dog breed

there will never be working breeds that only work. NEVER. so please stop dreaming
.....too many other people breed the same breed for all sorts of other reasons besides 'working' and often other 'breeds' get mixed in during the process

by the way, are you a breeder ? if you are, please contribute something concrete about how and what you are breeding and show us some video of your breedings

i prefer the K.I.S.S. definition :
- the only 'purely bred' working dog is a wild dog
- every other dog on the planet is a mixed breed
rick smith is online now   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 01-31-2017, 11:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

I will also add my thoughts on the "WHITE" EBT.

It is not uncommon for all white EBTs to have deaf puppies or partially deaf puppies in the litter.

The dog can be mostly white but ant spot of color and the dog doesn't seen to carry this gene.

Tail chasing is also a not to uncommon OCD in the EBTs.

The deafness is common in most any breeds that are born all white. boxers, Dalmations, even all white cats.

Blue merle Austrailian Shepherds bred to another Blue merle Austrailian Shepherd will also create a % of deaf puppies because the color becomes a dilute.

I know! To much info beyond just the white EBT but just something to put in your "Things to be aware of" file.

Please Register!
Old 01-31-2017, 11:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other

i've only trained with two EBT's. both white. one was completely deaf.

the other one gave me one of the most painful bites i've ever gotten (which includes a few mwd's, a pit, rots and other assorted 'jaws' including my house mutt) and it only weighed about 20kg soaking wet
rick smith is online now   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 01-31-2017, 11:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

I friend of mine raised Akitas and the first time he met my brother's WBT he commented that it was easier to push around his 115 lb Akitas then bros 65 lb WBT.

When you opened the dog's mouth seems like you could just reach in and grab him by the tail it was so large and open.

Please Register!
Old 01-31-2017, 11:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

You know, like this one time at band camp, I saw a cat. That cat had a name that sounded like Bull Terrier. Maybe it was "the more, the merrier". I really don't know. But everyone should stay away from band camp, just in case cats show up. It's a good idea to think about this.

Ahem… this thread is going in a bit of a stupid direction. Just sayin'

Please Register!
Old 01-31-2017, 11:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

LOL! Point taken!

Please Register!
Old 01-31-2017, 11:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Glad you saw the humor in that Bob.

I wasn't quite sure where all this was going. I wanted to hear what he had to say, now I doubt I will. We've run off more than a few people with different views that might contribute something interesting just because the group gets on hung up on details and relative impertinence from the onset and it never gets back on track.

It reminds me of the kind of welcome some of the Alaskan bush folk give to people. It can be ****ing chaos and madness and I see why people steer clear of people or situations like that.

Please Register!