what's a social butterfly ? - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » General Working Dog Discussion » what's a social butterfly ?

General Working Dog Discussion If it's about working dogs and doesn't fit in another forum, it goes in here. General questions, general discussion, etc.

tcat left
what's a social butterfly ?
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 03-08-2017, 03:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other
what's a social butterfly ?

this term gets used a lot on here and usually it's considered something negative and NOT wanted.....for a 'working dog'

starters :
1. what is your definition ?
2. how is it bad or good ?
3. is it (mostly) a trained behavior or genetic ? (i know it's usually a combo of both)

got my own defs and opinions of course, but would rather hear from others first to see if it's worth discussing and not start debates

everyone should have an opinion here, so maybe some lurkers will join in
rick smith is online now   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Please visit our Sponsor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2017, 08:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Undecided
Re: what's a social butterfly ?

A Golden Retreiver.

If I compare my dogs, a Malinois and a Dutch Shepherd to my friend's Golden, I see a scale of sociability. The Golden loves everyone, is instantly your best friend and will actively solicit (annoyingly to me, but others are charmed by his friendliness) pets and attention. My Mal seems to enjoy some attention from strangers, and will move towards kids and people to be petted, but is mostly interested in me. The Dutch is only interested in people to see if they have something for her - a toy, cookie or bite sleeve. She instantly loses interest if they don't.

My preference is for a more social than not dog because that makes my life easier and requires less management on my part. Both are retired from bite sports and in the other activities we were doing, there were far more opportunities for interaction with strangers, who are not always respectful of a dog's personal space.

I haven't done anything special to either promote or discourage any of my dogs social tendencies, and suspect that it is mostly genetic.
leslie cassian is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 03-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: Search & Rescue
I would agree with Leslie's post and idea... I had a female GSD who loved everyone... usually because they got suckered into playing with her (she would bring trash, a cigarette butt (not mine) anything, for them to throw..eww..but that was how she was... Born that way... My other GSD's were of various levels.. most would give a 'hi' when told to and suffer the pets, most did not seek out attention except from those deemed in the 'pack.' Our team has many goldens and they love everyone.. Seek out attention from anyone, just for love and pets - nothing else (unless you want to give it to them).. 'social butterfly'

My current girl is on the opposite spectrum.. She does not seek attention out from anyone except me and her 'loved ones' and she is picky about who they are. She is neutral around people unless they get too forward and desire to pet her before she says it is ok... Once it is 'ok' she is totally cool with it, but does not usually seek it out unless they got moved into the 'loved ones' category... So definitely not a 'scoial butterfly'

Being in SAR, I think I prefer the middle category dog.. Aloof, but willing to say "hi" and suffer the minstrations of those needy individuals who have to pet every dog around... Truly makes my dog easier, because my girls bark is so deep and menacing sounding (even when she is not) people automatically assume she is evil and out to kill them... Probably why she gave the (singular) bark anyways, but then I have to explain etc... I, am not, a social butterfly
Misty Wegner is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!

Old 03-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Police K9

My current partner is a hand slut. He loves everyone to a point that it's annoying. I'm not a big fan of this. I like my dogs to be indifferent to other people but he is what he is. My co workers can't believe he would bite someone, yet he just got another one the other night. Now, in training he is hard on decoys but his real street contacts leave a little to be desired as compared to my previous partners who quite enjoyed making bad guys pay dearly for their crimes. I am chalking it up to my failure in the training. Tonight I'm going to start training him to push into the bite instead of his pulling. The guy the other night had baggy clothes on so I'm gonna make an excuse here but I think training the push will fix that problem.

Last edited by Howard Knauf; 03-10-2017 at 01:16 PM..
Howard Knauf is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 03-08-2017, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

A hand slut, love it!
Misty Wegner is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 03-08-2017, 10:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

I joke about my GSD Trooper as having a "Golden Retriever" slip in the pedigree somehow because he is quite friendly with most anyone. He'll be ten in May and still acts like a six month old Golden pup. PIA in my book!

My now passed GSD Thunder was "my" ideal dog.

Will put up with people's attention IF I'm present but never solicits or tolerates it on his own unless he really know you.

Please Register!
Old 03-09-2017, 01:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Wegner View Post
A hand slut, love it!
BWHAHAHAHWAHA!! and he said it on national woman's day or whatever the hell today was supposed to be about or for. LOL Howard, I think your hand slut reference qualifies as my favorite comment ever on the WDF!!

Ah, what can I say I am easily amused.

Back on topic, my input = basically what everyone else said.

Please Register!
Old 03-09-2017, 02:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other

Tx for the opinions and examples.....i'll send mine but still hoping some new members or lurkers will join in too

i knew i shouldn't have bothered keeping my Q's short and numbering them //rotflmao//
rick smith is online now   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 03-09-2017, 12:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Police K9

Well, the push training went pretty good. More to do though. He's still a whore. It's not gonna change. He's so easy that any other handler can do perfect OB with him right in front of me. Total cuckhold.

Please Register!
Old 03-09-2017, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Landshark

My youngest is a pure body contact queen. He wants and craves close attention. Even if he had the ability to crawl inside your skin that would not be close enough.
Sarah Platts is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!