what is a "K9 handler" - Page 5 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » General Working Dog Discussion » what is a "K9 handler"

General Working Dog Discussion If it's about working dogs and doesn't fit in another forum, it goes in here. General questions, general discussion, etc.

tcat left
what is a "K9 handler"
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 02-20-2017, 11:21 PM   #41 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Re: what is a "K9 handler"

Dry air on a dry nose can be tough scenting so it's not uncommon to wet a dogs muzzle during scent work.

"That's the right answer" sucks! How are you going to learn?

The comment about "I did it because that's the way I was taught" is one of the most common things you'll hear in dog training. I'd find a trainer that can answer your questions.

One of my pet peeves with some dog "trainers".

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2017, 10:00 PM   #42 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: Search & Rescue
Well, and I guess, these last two answers gives a better answer 'to what is a K9 handler'... Just because someone emulates what is done, but doesn't give logical thought to the' why' it is done or 'why' it works should probably demote them to K9 habdler in training.. Not a k9 handler.. To have those teaching not able to answer is scary, imho

I love evaluating how and why scent does what it does.. I was discussing this recently with a team mate (actually, this scenario has happened several times with different members) as to why the dog did what they did and how I wished I had something that closely resembled odor (smoke bombs just don't do it) and had it colored for the tracklayer to 'drop' while laying a track.. Then I could 'see' the little areas that I saw my dog dive into and out of, or why they took a different route (but parallel) to find the subject, or when they are dead on the tracks the whole way... Anyhow, the bored glazed look from this person told me what their response would be before they opened their mouth.. It amounted to a 'who cares' and 'why would you do that'? Because if it wasn't specifically on the track, then the dog was' wrong '... That mentality unfortunately, makes my tongue loose and I find myself venturing into the rude category.. I have to be careful....

I want to know the why's and how's and be the best partner for my dog and my dog(s) to be the best they can be.. And definitely for whomever is missing.. OK, off my soapbox, lol.. A nerve got rubbed
Misty Wegner is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 02-21-2017, 10:16 PM   #43 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

Quadcopter film the track layer? Then same with the dog working? You could do a side-by-side or overlay analysis if you were inclined to. After years of watching my dog work, it's like seeing the remnants of action when I watch her. It's very surreal because it feels like a different form of consciousness overcomes me.

I won't get into that other shit you mentioned, it's a stupid and lazy mentality that usually comes from people who spend a lifetime settling or just getting by. Can you tell that it pisses me off too ?

Please Register!

Old 02-22-2017, 12:01 AM   #44 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Yep!

Please Register!