what is a "K9 handler" - Page 3 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » General Working Dog Discussion » what is a "K9 handler"

General Working Dog Discussion If it's about working dogs and doesn't fit in another forum, it goes in here. General questions, general discussion, etc.

tcat left
what is a "K9 handler"
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 02-13-2017, 11:11 PM   #21 (permalink)
Landshark

Re: what is a "K9 handler"

sorry Bob et al. can't believe i got trolled and sucked in on day 1 back. sigh...
Tim Martens is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2017, 11:17 PM   #22 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Welcome back?

Please Register!
Old 02-13-2017, 11:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
Landshark

we'll see how long it lasts...

it's so welcoming here!
Tim Martens is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!

Old 02-13-2017, 11:26 PM   #24 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Actually everyone on her now is pretty good people.

It's just a matter of figuring out different personalities.

That shouldn't be to hard because the forum doesn't have to many regulars now.

Not like the old days where the mods had to hold a fire extinguisher when reading some folks post.

Do stick around!

Please Register!
Old 02-13-2017, 11:30 PM   #25 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

Tim, that's not what happened. I really am not sure what on earth took you to the place you went with your thoughts. I don't have a cell phone, a FaceBook account and live way the **** up in Alaska where most of us don't have the time nor inclination to do whatever you were implying I did to you.

I don't even know what the word troll means. I speak honestly, keep my word and certainly have no hidden agenda with you or anyone else. I was was legitimately making an honest attempt at humor. A swing and a miss. Live and learn. Am I sorry that you misunderstood me or my intentions? Yes, of course I am.

That said, don't buy Bob's vouch for me. You either believe what I said or you don't. I have your answer and that suits me well enough. So settle on in and enjoy whatever time you end up spending on the forum. As I said, I keep my word and I won't be troubling you further.

Please Register!
Old 02-14-2017, 08:37 AM   #26 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Undecided

I see handler as a pretty generic term for anyone working with their dog. Throwing K9 in there takes it up a notch, but I don't know what qualifies a person as one. Rather like Master Trainer - you can call yourself whatever you want.

Seeing K9 HANDLER emblazoned across someone's clothing would probably make me giggle and like Sarah, think, overcompensating much? I don't think it's something I would wear, unless I was at an event and they were handing out tshirts specifically for participants to wear. Back when I actually did something with my dogs and trained in public spaces, I did consider slapping a large K9 patch on my coat just so people would leave me alone, not think I was crazy and/or not walk all over the track I was laying to ask what I was doing.
leslie cassian is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 02-14-2017, 01:41 PM   #27 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Police K9

My friend from England tells me that it is normal to see Walter Mitty types wearing shirts with huge letters stating K9 Handler, or Security etc etc. Seems the bigger the letters, the bigger the wannabe.

Please Register!
Old 02-14-2017, 03:02 PM   #28 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Search & Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Knauf View Post
My friend from England tells me that it is normal to see Walter Mitty types wearing shirts with huge letters stating K9 Handler, or Security etc etc. Seems the bigger the letters, the bigger the wannabe.
Ha, had to look up and see who was Walter Mitty. New term for me. Can't wait to tell someone to stop being such a Walter Mitty....

I've see a lot of t-shirts. Got a lot of Iron Dog ones and I trot them out at VPWDA events. Most are what I call tastefully lettered. Yes, they say K9 Handler but I'm starting to see some compensation going on. The lettering is getting bigger and taller. The individual wearing the shirt I saw was probably an XXXL and it literally filled up the ENTIRE shirt. The letters must be 5-6 inches tall and ran from shoulder to shoulder plus with the "search team" in 4-5 in tall lettering ran from neck to waist.

That person, who I have interacted with some, is a newbie. Yep has had a dog for a while but that brings up the old story of having 10 years of experience. Do you really have 10 years of experience? Or do you have 1 year of experience times 10?

Anyway, once I get to plucking at something I just have to get some answers. I think of dog handling in the 3 phases of Apprentice, Journeyman, Master. Some never get past apprentice. I don't know if its a coordination thing or what. Most people end up in the Journeyman section. Nothing wrong with that as they do good solid work at that level. Competent. Knowledgeable. There are some who seem to be part dog and those reach the Master level.

I guess for me, if you are a trailing dog student and can't master the basics of letting line out and getting it back in...... then you aren't a dog handler. If you have a detection dog but can't tell the dog is in odor..... then you aren't a dog handler. If you can't get rewards and corrections straight..... then you aren't a dog handler. If someone has to keep reminding you to reward your dog...... then you aren't a dog handler.
Sarah Platts is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 02-14-2017, 04:12 PM   #29 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: Search & Rescue
I wish it were that easy, but ready made shirts can be handed out, bought and made easily enough. As much as it may be over compensation; which it probably is, the real respect comes from those who are good handlers, and when they approve of your skill. When your dogs keep making the finds, and you have passed the part where you feel like you know it all.. Usually by this time, the shirts, jackets, stickers and the like serve a function higher then ego - they are practical, and usually unassuming.

I remember reading on this board, where some guy kept showing up to searches with his vehicle all decked out with stickers and images of his dog(s) working, but he was full of hot air and unfortunately, his dogs knew nothing. These are the things that give SAR handler's a bad rap, and a pet peeve of mine..
Misty Wegner is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 02-15-2017, 03:02 PM   #30 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Police K9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Wegner View Post

I remember reading on this board, where some guy kept showing up to searches with his vehicle all decked out with stickers and images of his dog(s) working, but he was full of hot air and unfortunately, his dogs knew nothing. These are the things that give SAR handler's a bad rap, and a pet peeve of mine..
Yep, that was my story. True story BTW

Please Register!