PSD "Imprint Odor" - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » General Working Dog Discussion » PSD "Imprint Odor"

General Working Dog Discussion If it's about working dogs and doesn't fit in another forum, it goes in here. General questions, general discussion, etc.

tcat left
PSD "Imprint Odor"
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 08-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Undecided
PSD "Imprint Odor"

When imprinting odor for PSD (NARC/EXP) what is your preffered method of imprintation and why? How long does it take you to consider the dog finished prior to going to work? I understand the dog is continues to learn/grow on the street, but when is he out of training and working the street?

Do you imprint one odor or mulitiple odors? Why? Why not?
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Please visit our Sponsor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Re: PSD "Imprint Odor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody Butler View Post
When imprinting odor for PSD (NARC/EXP) what is your preffered method of imprintation and why? How long does it take you to consider the dog finished prior to going to work? I understand the dog is continues to learn/grow on the street, but when is he out of training and working the street?

Do you imprint one odor or mulitiple odors? Why? Why not?
We've done both . Not much of a difference either way . We still like seeing the dog work on the individual odors to see that there are no problems . Because of that we mainly go the individual odor route .

If we are working a dual purpose class it's a 4 week class about 5 months after the 12 week patrol class they went through . If it's a single purpose class it's 8 weeks .
Jim Nash is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 08-03-2011, 01:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: Police K9

Boxes (4-hole variable). Atleast 5 odors combined to start. After initial imprinting, I will seperate the odors to ensure the initial imprinting was succesful with each odor during actual plants/hides.

For most dogs, I work in plenty of "wall time" between initial imprinting and plants/hides. As I have found that it is easier to bring in a clear and consistent final response with the wall. Which "transfers" well into the more realistic hides.

Depending on the type of dog, odor, and function, I work pattern with the wall, and then the hides. I have different "tricks" for different patterns.

Towards the end of the "final response teaching phase" I make sure I throw in plenty of odors that the dog needs to be "proofed off" of. Such as, the narc bags, containers, tape, and any other contaminents that the odor may have, and could have been introduced to the dog. Although, obviously we try to keep these to a minimum.

The initial imprinting on the boxes takes me a few sessions over the course of a few days, and a couple of more days on the wall. I like to "play it by ear" with each dog. I don't like them giving them time to get bored or complacent, I like keeping this as fun and exciting to the dog as possible.

Once I feel the dog is ready to move on we go ahead and start placing plants, nothing blind yet. If the dog shows weakness with any of the odors or just odor in general, we go back to the basics, and start him over.

Eventually I like working A LOT of blind hides. Like boxes, I have found that there is nothing like blind hides for learning THAT dogs behavior, and making me better at training detection.

Sorry if this seems rushed. I'm at the MWR and running out of time. lol.

Disclaimer: This is the way I like to do things and have found succesful. It is not the only way. I am not closed off to learning different ways. I love cupcakes.

Last edited by Michael Santana; 08-03-2011 at 01:41 AM..
Michael Santana is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 08-03-2011, 04:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

I start by doing throws with those "odor balls" on a string. When I see strong odor recognition I then goto the BSD with distractions and will start shaping the trained response.

Please Register!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other

Start with balls for narc and towels for Exp with black powder in it just throwing both and have fun, extending the throws out of site to see hunt drive. Then move to boxes with a bsd, then moving on to garages, lockers, cars, outside areas, adding loud sounds and distractions and proofing the dog that the dog is defently on odor, etc...... I like doing one odor at a time to see if there is any issue with a specific, although either the dog wants it all or nothing as I find.

Please Register!
Old 08-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

I've heard recently that the ball/rag with the odor when imprinting is starting to go away. It's worked great for years but I guess someone came up with something new.
Howard Knauf is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 08-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Undecided

metal pipes work well and you can boil them in distilled water to use again.
will fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Knauf View Post
I've heard recently that the ball/rag with the odor when imprinting is starting to go away. It's worked great for years but I guess someone came up with something new.

What are they using now?

I like what works. I like making the dog hunt for odor paired with his toy, prior to teaching his alert. Towel, ball, PVC, etc.. What are people going to? What is new to dog training??

Please Register!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

There's been a move to put out odor, have the dog on lead with no direction to search, and when the dog finally sniffs the odor to investigate a sit command is given, then a toy reward either ball or tug. Seems kinda low energy to me but that's what's going on in a nutshell.

Please Register!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

The ol toy with the odor is a goner then?

Will, you deleted your post. Now my reply looks just stupid. lol

Please Register!