Malinois Lines? - Page 2 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » General Working Dog Discussion » Malinois Lines?

General Working Dog Discussion If it's about working dogs and doesn't fit in another forum, it goes in here. General questions, general discussion, etc.

tcat left
Malinois Lines?
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 05-11-2016, 07:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: French Ring
Re: Malinois Lines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McQuain View Post
Maybe Im wrong in thinking like this, but imo, working breeds should be able to work. Which includes all the qualities needed to work.
You are not wrong. I agree whole heartedly with your statement. It's a slippery slippery slope, breeding for conformation is "Darwin's worse nightmare" to paraphrase 'The Terrierman'.

I could never ethically support a conformation only Malinois breeder in any way or form.

Look at the state of the German Shepherd in the states now. (A)merican (S)how Line (S)hepherds other wise known as 'ASSlines' are a total joke. Breeding for airheads that are genetically cripple yeah that's the ticket! That's where these conformation Malinois breeders will take the breed.

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2016, 08:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Undecided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Scott View Post
I showed terriers in the breed ring for probably 15 yr. I saw a number of Tervs but rarely a Mal.

There are probably good and bad on both show and working but your odds are a quantum leap better going with working lines in most any breed.
A working line Malinois is not for the faint of heart, and probably way too much dog for clueless first time dog owner shopping for a cool looking dog.

Which leaves the issue of no good/reputable breeder is going to sell a good quality Malinois pup to a guy who wants a Mal because he likes the look of them, but has never had a dog before. Even the breeder I got my pup from declined me at first (I wanted an active pet), but then changed his mind and offered one specific pup he thought might be a good pet. Still turned out to be a lot of dog. So that leaves the less reputable, back yard, quick buck, puppy mill breeders as a potential source and then you end up taking your chances on temperament and health.

Rescue is an option, there are lower drive Mals out there needing homes.
leslie cassian is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 05-11-2016, 11:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Agility

Well, I actually knew of a few young Mals in rescues (around 6 months to 2 years) and I mentioned it to them, and their reply was:
"A rescue isn't really what we're looking for at the moment as I want an obedience dog I can start from a puppy"
So yeah, I have asked them about it, and its a no.
Chloe Bibby is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!

Old 05-11-2016, 11:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Search & Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe Bibby View Post
I'm guessing they don't want the type of Mal you see in videos, such as:
"So you think you want a high drive puppy" or
"Why NOT to get a pet Malinois" or
"Do you want a Malinois?"

I don't know, I believe they mentioned it was for their boyfriend, who likes the look of them, (he was also interested in a husky and a wolfdog), and he has never owned a dog before either, but has been around police dogs.
She herself was saying the biting would be fine as she owns a scottie, and "they are like piranhas."
I don't know, do show lines bite as much as working lines?
The boyfriend appears to also be interested in bitework from what she has said, though from what I have read, show lines generally aren't useful in bitework.
There are variations among the lines and even among individuals in the same litter. One thought is that if they are looking for a specific behavior type, they should contract some of the Mal rescue groups. They get the full range from nice house companion to high drive dogs gotten by clueless folks. I see the BF wanting a look but not realizing the independent nature of his choices.

For folks that are dipping their toes into the sport dog world and not really sure if they will stay with it or not, then they need to get a dog that fits their current situation because they probably won't stick with the bite stuff unless it's a now-and-again thing. Better to get a dog they can live with after the bitework idea has faded away then to get one they can't handle.
Sarah Platts is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 05-11-2016, 11:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
Landshark

Quote:
"A rescue isn't really what we're looking for at the moment as I want an obedience dog I can start from a puppy"
Just saw this. What OB level of competition are they trying for that you can't start with a 6mos old dog. It would sure help them get to their goal faster as they won't be dealing with a lot of 'puppy issues'.

Please Register!
Old 05-11-2016, 11:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

They mentioned competing, they didn't really say much about that. I don't know what they are aiming for really

Please Register!
Old 05-11-2016, 12:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Undecided

Quote:
Well, I actually knew of a few young Mals in rescues (around 6 months to 2 years) and I mentioned it to them, and their reply was:

Ah yes, because unless you start with a puppy, it won't be trained right. And a used dog can't bond to a new owner.
leslie cassian is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 05-11-2016, 12:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
Landshark

Quote:
They mentioned competing, they didn't really say much about that. I don't know what they are aiming for really
If they have a scottie that is a piranha then I see the Malinois Train Wreck coming down the rails in slo-mo.

These are the folks we all line up to watch, nudging each other and pointing, at the stuff that happens while asking them "what did you think was going to happen?"

Please Register!
Old 05-11-2016, 01:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Platts View Post
If they have a scottie that is a piranha then I see the Malinois Train Wreck coming down the rails in slo-mo.

These are the folks we all line up to watch, nudging each other and pointing, at the stuff that happens while asking them "what did you think was going to happen?"
Well, if you're up for a good joke, their exact words were
"The biting shouldn't be much different than the Scotties - it's like having a dinosaur when they're puppies and they can carry on to be a liability as adults (they may have smaller bodies but those jaws can still do some damage) so we're used to being very careful."

And as a response to those saying that mals and scotties are very, very different, their response was:
"Scotties are still bred to kill, they're like piranhas as puppies and are still capable of doing some serious damage as adults"

Please Register!
Old 05-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
Landshark

Well, Golly Gee, it sounds like they are set to go...

I wish I lived next door just to kick back in the lawn chair with a Pepsi in-hand to watch the show.

Please Register!