Mal is afraid to heel - Page 3 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » General Working Dog Discussion » Mal is afraid to heel

General Working Dog Discussion If it's about working dogs and doesn't fit in another forum, it goes in here. General questions, general discussion, etc.

tcat left
Mal is afraid to heel
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 02-09-2017, 11:38 PM   #21 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other
Re: Mal is afraid to heel

green dogs (not pups) can and should be screened and evalauted properly before being sold to either LE or DOD/FED buyers and i don't think it's rocket science since in these cases the specific end product should be CRYSTAL CLEAR to both parties

buyers need to know what they are getting and "buyers should be aware" is germane.

with that said, not all purchases will go as planned. i still say the vendor has the primary responsibility and they won't stay in business long if they sell very many dogs who wash out ... no matter what the reasons are or who is responsible

further off topic and has nothing to do with a dog afraid to heel //LOL//

hope the OP gets us back on topic and clears things up when he gets a chance
.....i'm 'forecasting' he doesn't think the dog has nerve issues and is just too amped to pay attention and stay at his hip....sure hope it's nothing more serious than that
rick smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2017, 06:48 AM   #22 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Search & Rescue

Good post, Howard. The other issue is matching a dog to a handler. An overbearing handler can create as many problems with a good dog as a weak handler can if matched with the wrong personality of dog. There's the thought of "Oh, you are a dog handler...... here's your dog" and expecting the relationship to work is overly ambitious. Yes, in a perfect world that's how folks think it should work but rarely does. Just like there are good trainers, there are bad ones. The same thing for dog handlers.

So going back to the VLK dog, one thing I was wondering is who matched this dog to this guy? Who made the selection? Because if the first was to much, did they select one that was much less in hopes it would work out?
Sarah Platts is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 02-10-2017, 02:15 PM   #23 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Police K9

When I had my K9 import business I spent a week with my main source from Romania. I made sure that he knew exactly what I wanted. Before each dog was shipped over here I had my guy send lots and lots of video of the subject dog being put through the paces. This guy was the 2013 Mondio Ring champion decoy. Now, being a high ranking decoy he knew how to turn a dog on but that's not what I wanted from him.I asked him to do certain things to ensure I was getting what I wanted. It was a great relationship and out of about 3 dozen dogs he sent over I only downgraded one from a PSD candidate to a PPD candidate. The difference in cost is substantial so it was good business to get it right the first time. Plus, I didn't sell a dog I wouldn't work myself! This was the reputation I wanted. Not all vendors are so anal when it comes to this business. I'm still LEO so I didn't risk missing a meal but this was supposed to be a retirement gig.

And yes, matching dog to handler is a recipe for success.

Please Register!

Old 02-13-2017, 07:53 PM   #24 (permalink)
Landshark

what is the handler's experience with dogs? is this your first dog (other than the dutchie)?

reason for asking: this may just not be the right fit (handler/dog). if this is your second or third dog (not including the dutchie) and you're a heavy handed handler, this clearly isn't the dog for you. if this is your first dog, you can adapt and use way more motivational methods than compulsive as it obviously isn't good for this dog. keep in mind, there are very few "always" and "nevers" in dog training. every dog is unique and has different needs. a lot of times a dog that is overly handler sensitive, will also be weak on a street bite when the suspect takes the fight to the dog. again, not always. some handler sensitivity is usually ok, but not to the extent that you're describing.

getting back on track...for reference, i'm currently looking for my 4th K9. my first dog was on the softer end of the spectrum. my second dog a bit harder. my last dog required a heavy hand (especially when he was younger) and pretty much couldn't be shut down. i worked with him for 10 years. as such, my preference in my next dog is very little to no handler sensitivity. not that i couldn't learn to ease up, it would just be easier for me as i'm used to working a certain type of dog. for you, you need to decide if you are capable of being the handler this dog needs (and if it's worth it).
Tim Martens is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 02-13-2017, 07:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

What is it you do that you are looking for a dog? I thought from the stick in your hand that you must be with British police or something. Color guard perhaps?

Please Register!
Old 02-13-2017, 08:13 PM   #26 (permalink)
Landshark

that would be a decoy from KNPV. i'm sure you've heard of it? well, perhaps not...
Tim Martens is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 02-13-2017, 08:38 PM   #27 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

Perhaps being facetious suits me

Please Register!
Old 02-13-2017, 11:01 PM   #28 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Please Register!
Old 02-13-2017, 11:40 PM   #29 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other

Bob
what does that emoji mean ?
seen it before
but this WDF list doesn't show me the defs....sometimes my typing gets morphed into an emoji even if i choose not to pick one (((

i only use a few 'cause i have no clue what some are supposed to express
- can you sum it up in a word ? i might add it to my list

for what it's worth, i don't think all emojis convey a clear message either so i'd rather stick to long winded sarcastic sentences if i am trying to get an emotion across, but stuff like WTF? work just as well for me
rick smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 02-13-2017, 11:48 PM   #30 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Rick, emojis are my term for the smilies next to box you type in to make a post.

Also in that box is a [More].

click on that and it will bring up more smilies and a description of each.

Sarcasm does have it's place but with the few active members we have now I'd hope we'd let things go a bit and just enjoy the posts.

Please Register!