KNPV Lines - Page 2 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » General Working Dog Discussion » KNPV Lines

General Working Dog Discussion If it's about working dogs and doesn't fit in another forum, it goes in here. General questions, general discussion, etc.

tcat left
KNPV Lines
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 09-17-2016, 01:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Re: KNPV Lines

Ditto with the Logan Haus dogs.

The problem I see here though is wanting certain size, color and looks in general combined with the attitude and drives the op is looking for. That can really narrow down the options.

Nothing nicer to watch is an "ugly" dog that is a working fool compared to a beautiful dog that isn't worth feeding.

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2016, 02:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Scott View Post
The problem I see here though is wanting certain size, color and looks in general combined with the attitude and drives the op is looking for. That can really narrow down the options.

Nothing nicer to watch is an "ugly" dog that is a working fool compared to a beautiful dog that isn't worth feeding.
I'm not sure that's a problem. It's a matter of priorities, they're his. I figure that's cool, I can't see through his eyes so let him behold what he wants. That said there IS something nicer to watch and that is a beautiful specimen that is a working machine.

Talk about looking back and turning into a pillar of salt. How about one look at something you never forget? If it ever happens, and it's a rare privilege, but its something that stays with you forever.

Please Register!
Old 09-18-2016, 12:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

My priority was a sable GSD.

This littler I tested had two dogs that tested out perfect (for me).

One was a sable male and the other was a bi-color female.

I chose the bi female because I told myself I wasn't going to choose based on color.

I got home, didn't have the pup yet and the wife said "WHY did you NOT take the sable like you always wanted if they tested out the same?"

I told her my reason and she said "Get back on the phone and see if he'll still let you take the sable instead".

I did, he did and I wound up with the best dog I ever owned.

Please Register!
Old 09-29-2016, 07:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: PSA

I agree and i would much rather have a dog that works and is stable but ugly than a beautiful dog that doesnt work. I figure if I'm going to be waiting at least 5 to 10 years anyway why not wait until everything comes together. A beautiful dog that works well is worth waiting for to me.
Domenik Girardi is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 09-29-2016, 10:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ate the Tug

Training: Schutzhund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenik Girardi View Post
I agree and i would much rather have a dog that works and is stable but ugly than a beautiful dog that doesnt work. I figure if I'm going to be waiting at least 5 to 10 years anyway why not wait until everything comes together. A beautiful dog that works well is worth waiting for to me.
I wouldn't wait too long because it will be more difficult in 5-10 years time. The KNPV is almost a thing of the past, fewer and fewer young people are willing to take up the sport, the changing society is catching up quickly to rural Holland and KNPV is considered "low class" and training methods of old are looked upon with disdain. Sad but inevitable and true.
Robin Van Hecke is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 09-29-2016, 11:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

I didn't realize that Robin. Presumably KNPV will always have a place in the working dog world but it sounds as if that's not likely?

Please Register!
Old 09-29-2016, 11:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ate the Tug

Training: Schutzhund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole Stark View Post
I didn't realize that Robin. Presumably KNPV will always have a place in the working dog world but it sounds as if that's not likely?
Not really, it's slowing down big time in Holland. In the nineties, when I spent a lot of time in Holland and had friends in the KNPV, the main complaint was that there were barely any young people entering the sport. Haven't been there for a few years but I don't imagine it's any different. If anything, I suspect it's there's an even greater rate of attrition. A lot of the helpers even back then were old guys like me, looked kinda funny.
Robin Van Hecke is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 09-30-2016, 12:02 AM   #18 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

That's unfortunate to hear on all accounts. Curious comment about the helpers I noticed that as well but never formed much of a thought about it except feeling mad respect for those guys.

Please Register!
Old 09-30-2016, 02:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Other

Are you up for importing?
If so how about a dog from Perle de tourbiere?

http://www.working-dog.eu/dogs-detai...merend-Thistle
Matt Vandart is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 10-05-2016, 10:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: PSA

I am really surprised and saddened to hear that... I thought of knpv as the main working k9 supplier to the rest of the world.

Yes i am totally fine with importing a dog! I am just not quite sure how i would be able to tell if the dog will be right for me with out having met him.
Domenik Girardi is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!