K-9 killed - Page 2 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » General Working Dog Discussion » K-9 killed

General Working Dog Discussion If it's about working dogs and doesn't fit in another forum, it goes in here. General questions, general discussion, etc.

tcat left
K-9 killed
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 03-28-2017, 01:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog
Re: K-9 killed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick smith View Post
all i can say for the poor K9 is R.I.P.
we promise your death and service will not be in vain
Amen Rick.

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Police K9

K9 ballistic vests are not practical in the South primarily due to the heat reducing the dogs' working time. There are more cons than pros to the vest. We have them but I've never used it. If a firearm is involved in an incident we do not use the dog. Losing two dogs in such a short time is very much NOT the norm.

Please Register!
Old 03-28-2017, 02:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Personal Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Knauf View Post
K9 ballistic vests are not practical in the South primarily due to the heat reducing the dogs' working time. There are more cons than pros to the vest. We have them but I've never used it. If a firearm is involved in an incident we do not use the dog. Losing two dogs in such a short time is very much NOT the norm.

Yep in Louisiana ballistic vests are actually dangerous during the hotter months... we learned that the hard way a few years back. Losing two dogs back to back like that is not even regular in the MWD end. Dang I hate it too.
Brian Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!

Old 04-23-2017, 03:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

This was so ridiculous that I couldn't help but post it as this event relates to the crime I spoke of when I expanded upon this thread.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/crim...ge-police-say/

Course, on a more serious note, yesterday this occurred.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/crim...rocery-worker/

Alaska is pretty insulated from the rest of the US so I haven't any real notion about how our quickly escalating crime compares to anywhere else in the US. The general feeling here is it's a little like the Wild West, particularly in Anchorage and the Matsu areas.

A few days ago while walking my mastiff I crossed paths with this unbelievably disheveled man dragging a snow sled behind him (by now the snow has melted from the streets and side walks). A bit of a strange reckoning for both of us, I think. First, that I wasn't afraid of him and second, he nodded back at me as I greeted him. As I passed him I thought, I guess he isn't totally gone, maybe there's hope yet.

Please Register!
Old 04-23-2017, 10:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Trying to rob a store with a cardboard box on your head and a knife in your hand will almost guarantee getting shot here.

Same with the antics of the idiots in the store hanging around long enough to cause all that trouble.

It just seems very curious/strange to me with all the firearms in Alaska.

Please Register!
Old 04-25-2017, 12:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
Landshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Knauf View Post
i would venture to guess it's that way in most of the US. out west, i would say there are probably 4 months out of the year where it's feasible to use a vest from a heat perspective. that's a lot of training/de-sensitivation for a tool that would only get used a handful of times and even when used, severely limits the capabilities of the dog.

for the most part, ballistic vests are just a feel good, PR tool for people looking to latch onto a perceived good cause. i don't have a problem that, i think community involvement is great, especially when dealing with our K9 units. they're just not the panacea for all high risk deployments. as howard said, if it's known that firearms are involved, the K9's use is extremely minimal if at all.
Tim Martens is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-25-2017, 01:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Martens View Post
i would venture to guess it's that way in most of the US. out west, i would say there are probably 4 months out of the year where it's feasible to use a vest from a heat perspective. that's a lot of training/de-sensitivation for a tool that would only get used a handful of times and even when used, severely limits the capabilities of the dog.

for the most part, ballistic vests are just a feel good, PR tool for people looking to latch onto a perceived good cause. i don't have a problem that, i think community involvement is great, especially when dealing with our K9 units. they're just not the panacea for all high risk deployments. as howard said, if it's known that firearms are involved, the K9's use is extremely minimal if at all.
Ever since the young girl who started "Pennies for police dogs" to buy ballistic vests got started, people think we really need them. Yes it is a feel good move. Yes it is good PR. The last set of vests offered to our unit were politely declined but instead we accepted other things needed for our dogs. The folks offering were confused so the most tactful person in the unit carefully explained why we don't use them. I also have a K9 cool vest that I've never used. Mainly for the same reasons I don't use a ballistic vest. Too much of a PITA. A good handler will recognize the dogs' condition when working in the heat and stop when it's time. Fortunately we have enough K9 units in my area to have another on standby to resume a deployment once the first dogged is done. IMO it's better to condition the dog to working in the heat than relying on equipment. A previous ex handler worked a MWD in the Air Force. He was a big proponent of all the K9 goodies so he found ways to get them even though we didn't need them.

Please Register!
Old 04-25-2017, 03:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Howard/Tim, is there a take away here for what is beneficial and welcomed from the public? If anything?

Please Register!
Old 04-25-2017, 07:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole Stark View Post
Howard/Tim, is there a take away here for what is beneficial and welcomed from the public? If anything?
Any piece of training equipment that we'll actually use. In the case above, we opted to get new e-collars and at home kennels for our dogs. Regular equipment is purchased every year so when the money is offered we default to the wish list. Something in the way of night vision, go pros, or dog mounted cameras. Something we'll actually deploy with/use and not just dust collectors.

Please Register!
Old 04-26-2017, 01:39 AM   #20 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other

for starters, how about supporting PD's with quality dog food and vet care ?

let the depts buy the tools they need and the public can support the K9"s

that would seem like a simple solution to me
ever been done ??

in my more gullible days i sent a K9 cop a grand to get an operation for his dog....unfortunately he never used the money for that purpose
- live and learn
rick smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!