Gotta question - Page 3 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » General Working Dog Discussion » Gotta question

General Working Dog Discussion If it's about working dogs and doesn't fit in another forum, it goes in here. General questions, general discussion, etc.

tcat left
Gotta question
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 03-12-2017, 01:52 PM   #21 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other
Re: Gotta question

was hoping it was not me who you were referring to as being macho

u could call me an asshole that might be more appropriate; but there are times when i feel the need to demo a point to someone who is clearly ignorant about dogs. maybe they learn, maybe they don't...i really don't care either way

yes, i've absolutely shown that vid a few times....all i need to do is hand em my Iphone, OR i tell em to take a load off ... my dog is under MY control and well trained. he TOTALLY ignores them

and like i said, most people get it right away. it's my dog and my privilege to be an asshole when i feel it's needed. i train dogs for a living and i'd rather be in teacher mode and i've had LOTS of people meet me when i'm out with a dog and walk away thanking me, so 'most' of the time i'm social

different strokes ... those are mine but don't consider myself the macho type at all ....maybe 20 years ago when i was still on active duty it was a different story
rick smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2017, 02:10 PM   #22 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

just so you know what an asshole i can be...

when i see little kids running amuck from their parents chasing pigeons or feral cats while their parents are siitting on their butts laffing, i'll sometimes walk over and let my dog charge at em a bit...i make sure the parents see what's going on and then go over and talk to the parents

macho or just assholish ???
don't care the kids get my point VERY clearly and realize they need to respect animals, so i'm a happy camper

Please Register!
Old 03-12-2017, 04:09 PM   #23 (permalink)
Landshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick smith View Post
just so you know what an asshole i can be...

when i see little kids running amuck from their parents chasing pigeons or feral cats while their parents are siitting on their butts laffing, i'll sometimes walk over and let my dog charge at em a bit...i make sure the parents see what's going on and then go over and talk to the parents

macho or just assholish ???
don't care the kids get my point VERY clearly and realize they need to respect animals, so i'm a happy camper
lots of other descriptive words i can think of including those two.
Tim Martens is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!

Old 03-13-2017, 03:18 AM   #24 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

re : "lots of other descriptive words i can think of including those two."
...feel free so please do

kids being kids never get my attention.
out of control kids with lazy parents causing problems DO. just like dogs behaving in a similar manner. how much attention depends on how much of a problem they are causing

hope you're also not the type who calls the cops when a parent disciplines their kid in public //LOL//

Please Register!
Old 03-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #25 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: Search & Rescue
Back on topic ...

Anybody have any response to my clarification of the situation (see a couple posts above)? Just curious if I should be more ttentive to the issue, or she will outgrow it, or to just leave it be nd maintain...
Misty Wegner is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 03-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #26 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

well, if you didn't think it was a problem you probably would not have asked for suggestions of how to work on it
- absolutely no one can tell you if YOUR DOG will outgrow it....they can only tell you what THEIR DOG outgrew
......in my experience i would say no, especially if it is self-satisfying and will condition itself to repeat the behavior.
- and of course it's your call if you wish to work on it.
- ignoring it is not what you have chosen so far

- based on so many things you said that reminded me of my dog, i gave you one specific method. try it if you want but if you choose to do so, please provide progress on whether it helps or not. i think you did mention that tying a dog out occasionally is a good thing to have in your toolbox

- sorry others felt more inclined to attack me and ignore your thread, but that is common here as you already know
- i would have hoped you would have gotten some more specifics but so goes the WDF //LOL//
- bottom line....your call...go with your gut ... we haven't seen the dog

Please Register!
Old 03-13-2017, 11:06 AM   #27 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

i'm curious about this :

disregarding for a moment WHY it barks, at what point would you consider the barking a problem that needed correction ? what would be an example of your dog exceeding your limits ?
- we all have our own levels of what we would tolerate. i think that is relevant here

Please Register!
Old 03-13-2017, 11:48 PM   #28 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Wegner View Post
Back on topic ...

Anybody have any response to my clarification of the situation (see a couple posts above)? Just curious if I should be more ttentive to the issue, or she will outgrow it, or to just leave it be nd maintain...

Without actually seeing the behavior my first thoughts are she is a bit sharp and maybe insecurity goes along with that.

As Rich said you can hear what other people do but that's a different dog with different expectations and temperaments.

I for one wouldn't allow it.

Please Register!
Old 03-14-2017, 12:17 AM   #29 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Wegner View Post
So, question... What can I do to help her get more comfortable with introductions.. Or should I?
What's your gut reaction tell you? I'm not being facetious about your question, I genuinely want to know.

Please Register!
Old 03-14-2017, 05:16 PM   #30 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: Search & Rescue
To answer Ricks question..I find it a problem if it becomes more then a bark (i.e. lunging or further then the singular bark) AND if it ends up causing the (moron) who tried to pet her while she is working and ignored my yelling "please don't pet she is working" and the bark causes said (moron) to jump into the street and get hit by a car...

If it is an insecurity, how do I help her overcome it? If she is 'properly' introduced a bark never occurs... As stated before she can navigate through a crowd without a bark or hackles or anythiing.. So it is a specific occurrence of people 'infringing' on her 'rights' as she perceives them...
Misty Wegner is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!