Easily identifiable temperament in pups? - Page 3 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » General Working Dog Discussion » Easily identifiable temperament in pups?

General Working Dog Discussion If it's about working dogs and doesn't fit in another forum, it goes in here. General questions, general discussion, etc.

tcat left
Easily identifiable temperament in pups?
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 04-04-2016, 12:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Don't Own a Dog
Re: Easily identifiable temperament in pups?

I think the most important thing is that you really like the puppy you get. If the breeder matches puppies with new owners, she should give a choice of at least 2 puppies and explain the differences between the two.

One test is very important to me, pick the puppy that does not hesitate to follow you in an area it has never seen before. If the pup likes you right away and trusts you enough, it will be easier for you to train.

It is not a bad thing if a breeder suggests a puppy for inexperienced working home. My husband does that for inexperienced home but for experienced home, he will let the buyer pick their puppy.
Angie Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2016, 01:07 PM   #22 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: Undecided
Location: A desert in California not too far from the mountains.

Gillian, thanks again. You bring balance to every discussion. As you know, I have little real, working type training experience, but have studied my own dogs and other peoples' with great interest for years. It is possible I have been too hard handed, like you, and am open to change, but I went with my gut and my dogs overall have been resilient. My first strange post about "ruining a working pup" was all about me seeking information about whether melding positive training with other methods might bring "balance", (oh no, not a Cesar word, sorry Matt) or harm. I wanted to know about bad practices that are still around. I've seen from my first Schutzhund guest experiences how much positive reinforcement and great timing accomplish. I am VERY impressed with what skilled behaviorism can do. Of course, it has to go along with some, or better yet, a lot of good reading of a dog. I do think many of the trainers on here could train a killer whale, a guinea pig, or even a bird though. I hope to rise to your level or at least a lot higher than I am. I do think "dog sense" is separate from behaviorism though. I'm sure trainers that use a ton of positive reinforcement can't really be great without understanding the nature of the species that they are training and using that to their advantage too. Also, I'm sure that there must be times for negative reinforcement, even if they are few, and other types of reinforcement. Again, I have NOT spent much time in the trenches, so am very ready to expand my horizons. I'm not watching Cesar, but you guys have made me curious now about damaging things. I will not watch that Victoria nut though. My intuition about her says, "run." I will stick with Ellis, and everyone's recommendations, to get a foundation before I start with my group. I do like to hear that some of you are open to certain things a pack is good for though. Thanks for the continued teaching!! Sorry, this went off topic. I was just wanting to finish up on what Gillian brought up.

Gina
Gina Mezin is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-04-2016, 01:11 PM   #23 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Interesting Angie. I would love to have two pups considered and be able to discuss pros and cons. I will ask the breeder about that. Also, I won't leave without loving that pup that goes with me for sure. The following in a strange area makes sense too. Thank you!

Please Register!

Old 04-04-2016, 01:29 PM   #24 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

So I don't go off topic anymore, thought I'd share that James totally understood, or guessed correctly about what I meant about "messing up a puppy" from my other post. I'm good now and won't need to complicate myself with understanding training philosophies I'm not ready for. Thanks for everyones patience on that. We can call that post over unless you really want to comment. Sorry-Back to this one, if anyone has more to add.

Please Register!
Old 04-04-2016, 02:42 PM   #25 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Meant to say, other "thread" , not post. Oops

Please Register!
Old 04-04-2016, 07:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Search & Rescue

Gina,

The general rule is the thread owner - the person who starts the thread - can pretty much take the topic where they will. Or allow it to go wherever. We try to stay on the general topic but, as you are finding out, answering one question can bring up others that relate to your topic but aren't specific to what was asked. Sometimes this is not a bad thing as other stuff comes up you never thought of before. The moderators are here to make sure we don't break out the iron knuckles on each other but if someone posts something that you feel is rude, you also have the right to tell the poster to knock it off and to take their comments or contentious discussion to their own thread.
Sarah Platts is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-04-2016, 09:27 PM   #27 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Thanks for the explanation Sarah. I kind of thought that, but I tend to apologize a bit much

Please Register!
Old 04-05-2016, 12:22 AM   #28 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Good explanation by Sarah.

I can also say that, as a moderator, I'm as prone as anyone here when it comes to side tracking a post.

Another thing on looking for traits in puppies.

I firmly believe that a pup with a natural retrieve, regardless of soft hard or in between temperament, will be more apt to being compliant to obedience.

I think the natural retrieve shows a more willingness to working with a human since it's the genetic left over of bringing home food for the pups in our wild canines.

Now I started it!

Please Register!
Old 04-05-2016, 08:33 AM   #29 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Will be trying to get one with natural retrieve. I've heard that too and seen it on tests. Thanks.

Gina

Please Register!
Old 04-05-2016, 09:28 AM   #30 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: IPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole Stark View Post
Amen.

Separately, Gillian "easy does it". Remember that saying… and with consistent / fair handling, I think you will find quite an alliance and balance with your little Giant Schnauzer.
It's already bearing fruit. I don't consider myself as an unfair handler but I realize I was "raging" and this is no way to treat a pup or a dog as they soon check out the fact that you are losing control.

Thanks Nicole.
Gillian Schuler is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!