Easily identifiable temperament in pups? - Page 2 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » General Working Dog Discussion » Easily identifiable temperament in pups?

General Working Dog Discussion If it's about working dogs and doesn't fit in another forum, it goes in here. General questions, general discussion, etc.

tcat left
Easily identifiable temperament in pups?
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 04-03-2016, 07:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: Undecided
Location: A desert in California not too far from the mountains.
Re: Easily identifiable temperament in pups?

Interesting opinion Rick. I do hope to run that by the breeder. In checking out her site, it looks like she tries to breed dogs that are social with people and dogs which interests me. But as you mentioned, it may have much more to do with how she socializes and trains. I will ask and pass it on, but it may take a while. Many of her males and almost all of her females are neutral or social with other dogs even of the same sex. One or two of her favorites that she bred weren't though. The parents of the litter I like and another Spring litter are described as social with people and dogs. I agree with you and I prefer a more neutral but confident attitude around dogs we dont know. I don't trust the average dog owner on the street to handle their dog right and protect my puppy, but just like you said, am not going to hide my pup or cause my pup to be unduly nervous. At least that's my goal. Like your points.
Gina Mezin is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2016, 08:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

James, thanks so much for sharing your experiences. I like the off leash pack walk idea. Will do and often. I liked your examples of what could probably be gleaned from littermates interactions. I haven't gotten a chance to see too many litters for any period of time, but would love to if i get the chance. Thanks for explaining pack drive

Please Register!
Old 04-03-2016, 08:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Edward, appreciate your links! Thanks for sharing your testing experience Geoff. 75-80 % is pretty good accuracy. But then some people just have experience and develop a sense for it like you did for your pup. I'm sure it takes training to do the tests objectively and understand what you are really observing also.

Please Register!

Old 04-04-2016, 12:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

James, excellent post!

As for looking at a litter, if I see one shy/spooky pup I'll walk away from the whole litter.

Maybe something happened to that pup and maybe there's a spooky gene lurking in that litter.

I don't want to find out down the line. I went through that with two Mals and that has probably burned me for ever looking at Mals again. I know, my bad!

I also believe that what a good breeder or a skilled trainer sees in a litter of pups doesn't necessarily mean that's what the pup will be as an adult.

That has a ton to do with how that pup is raised and trained.

I've never been disappointed in any dog I've selected as a pup but I can't say that for a couple I haven't selected myself.

Please Register!
Old 04-04-2016, 12:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Bob, that's a high but good standard. I want to be firm like that also because of Mals I've known too. Probably wouldn't be strong enough if only one pup was shy, dont know. Thanks for sharing.

Gina

Please Register!
Old 04-04-2016, 12:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Empey View Post
Sometimes you just have to go with what your gut tells you.
Amen.

Separately, Gillian "easy does it". Remember that saying… and with consistent / fair handling, I think you will find quite an alliance and balance with your little Giant Schnauzer.

Please Register!
Old 04-04-2016, 07:06 AM   #17 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: French Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina Mezin View Post
I'm sure it takes training to do the tests objectively and understand what you are really observing also.
I really wouldn't consider a Volhard test a 'test' like I was saying it is a snap shot in time. It isn't infallible by any means, far from it.

I have a talented training friend who was given a Mali puppy to help because it was very spooky to the point where the breeder thought the pup should be euthanized. My friend was able to bring out a super confident social working dog after a couple of months. This dog is still in my opinion an awesome animal but it came from a really shaky start. So it goes to show you that the environment that it is raised in has a big bearing on what the dog can be.

Please Register!
Old 04-04-2016, 09:47 AM   #18 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: KNPV

Picking a pup can be done but is very very difficult,you need to see the pups everyday for about two months to get a little feeling.
If you go see a litter and hope to pick a good pup you may as well pick the color you like.
The strongest most dominant pup chased all of the others away from the food bowl and he there for ate too much and now has cramps and is feeling bad,he looks bad.Would you pick him?
You need to see them all of the time and then it is still like Rick says.
Gina there is no way a breeder can pick a pup for you either,you say yourself how difficult it is to describe your own character.How would a breeder now?
I have a theory about great breeders and great trainers,they are mostly the same people.

Please Register!
Old 04-04-2016, 12:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Jack, LOVE your theory. Ok, so as long as the litter and individual pup are not spooky and my breeder is well respected, I have no real worries and there's not much I can do BUT TRAIN. The breeder is really into matching her pups, so that "may" help, but she doesn't know me well yet. Maybe, she stays flexible, so when she meets me she's open to change. I'm not going to worry guys. Thanks so much for the comments
Gina

Please Register!
Old 04-04-2016, 12:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Geoff, nice to hear about that turn around!

Please Register!