Does this seem right? - Page 3 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » General Working Dog Discussion » Does this seem right?

General Working Dog Discussion If it's about working dogs and doesn't fit in another forum, it goes in here. General questions, general discussion, etc.

tcat left
Does this seem right?
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 09-01-2016, 09:27 PM   #21 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog
Re: Does this seem right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Platts View Post
You are speaking of the (in)famous Michael Murphy... Supposed to have gotten said Mal puppy and disappeared into the Land of one's and zero's
I want to know why that happened. If I am not mistaken, he hooked up with Chris Jones. I had a lot of respect for Chris and figured he knew what he was doing when he set Michael up. So what happened. Where did he go and whatever became of that? Did the pup turn out? How did Michael do with her?

There was another guy on here who trained dogs in a way that sounds like Matt was referring to but I don't ever recall command central being a part of anything he spoke of. That might have been Matt's impression of what he had to say. I don't know.

BTW Rick Scott, I suspect is one of those spin off "catfish" type aliases that people to create only for the sake of creating dialogue without being identified as who they really are.

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2016, 11:38 PM   #22 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

JMHO but the pup having so many health issues pretty much tells you what you want to know about the breeder.

"Let the buyer beware"!

Please Register!
Old 09-02-2016, 02:33 AM   #23 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie cassian View Post
Not Michael Murphy. He seemed a little obsessed with finding the most badass dog ever, but I don't recall him holed up in his lair worried about security breaches.

Had to look through some old threads. Compound boy was Rick Scott.
Yes! Rick Scott, so many fun people have disappeared from here, it sucks ass. I would also like to know what happened to MM and his pup. Last I heard the pup was not up to his expectations.

http://www.working-dog.eu/dogs-detai...merend-Thistle
Matt Vandart is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!

Old 09-02-2016, 02:50 PM   #24 (permalink)
Ate the Tug

Training: IPO

HI Andrew
I dont think what you describe is right.
I expect a reputable breeder to provide a healthy pup. Free of all parasites and disease. From a line that's healthy.

And for the 1st time in my life, saved up a LOT of money. And went to the kennel producing the best dogs (prize winning IPO relatives of my pup).

What i got: bullshit, lies, deception. and a pup with undescended testes. I returned the pup to the Dam's owner, who provided me a full refund.

I went to another breeder, with my refunded LOTS of money. And got a pup, that was healthy. And papers would arrive soon. I chased papers with one sms, politely enquiring when i could expect the papers. I got a rude sms back, with the people i could complain to.
A week went by. My papers arrived. my pup had been desexed, and was not on the main register, NOT what i paid for! The pup is not IPO material. Her nerve is weaker than i would like.

MY decision was: keep the pup, it is what it is. I"ll get the best i can out of her, and learn a lot along the way. And NEVER EVER will i purchase a pup unseen, OR from a breeder again.

Some lessons in life are tough. This was a touch lesson, it hurt.

IF anyone turned up here unannounced at 7.30am, id thnik it was because they had a long drive ahead of them, and as i am up at 5am, not an issue for me. I know however, that walking dogs in pre dawn, and being up that early is unusual for most humans. So can see why they would be miffed.

Anyone leaping to the line "you're trying to inspect me" is likely up to no good.

Dog breeder: think money making machine, doesnt really give a shit about the pups. It is what it is.
Apparently, there are some really good breeders, of excellent lineage pups, who do care. But ive not met one yet.

And i wont go searching for one again.
shelle fenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 09-02-2016, 08:08 PM   #25 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Schutzhund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Platts View Post
Well, Yeah. cause it was your complaint when she didn't immediately leap from the house when she was probably still not dressed. It maybe normal in your situation to arrive on doorsteps at an early hour but not everyone shares your desires. I'm trying to find somewhere I stated, "She didn't leap from the house". Based upon our previous conversations, she it it very clear she was up at 4:30 every morning speaking to Europe selling dogs.

My last puppy involved plane travel, a couple of hours of driving, border crossings, and importation requirements courtesy of the USDA. But I would not have dreamed of showing up on a doorstep at anything before 0900 without prior arrangements. Some people are just a little sloth and lazy.

I wish you the best of luck. Sometimes its a crap shoot even after you do all due diligence. If the situation doesn't happen the way you like, then move on and find someone else you like better. If Trikos has what you want and at a price you can afford then I would be beating a path to their door.
Andrew Denver is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 09-02-2016, 08:18 PM   #26 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelle fenton View Post
HI Andrew
I dont think what you describe is right.
I expect a reputable breeder to provide a healthy pup. Free of all parasites and disease. From a line that's healthy.

And for the 1st time in my life, saved up a LOT of money. And went to the kennel producing the best dogs (prize winning IPO relatives of my pup).

What i got: bullshit, lies, deception. and a pup with undescended testes. I returned the pup to the Dam's owner, who provided me a full refund.

I went to another breeder, with my refunded LOTS of money. And got a pup, that was healthy. And papers would arrive soon. I chased papers with one sms, politely enquiring when i could expect the papers. I got a rude sms back, with the people i could complain to.
A week went by. My papers arrived. my pup had been desexed, and was not on the main register, NOT what i paid for! The pup is not IPO material. Her nerve is weaker than i would like.

MY decision was: keep the pup, it is what it is. I"ll get the best i can out of her, and learn a lot along the way. And NEVER EVER will i purchase a pup unseen, OR from a breeder again.

Some lessons in life are tough. This was a touch lesson, it hurt.

IF anyone turned up here unannounced at 7.30am, id thnik it was because they had a long drive ahead of them, and as i am up at 5am, not an issue for me. I know however, that walking dogs in pre dawn, and being up that early is unusual for most humans. So can see why they would be miffed.

Anyone leaping to the line "you're trying to inspect me" is likely up to no good.

Dog breeder: think money making machine, doesnt really give a shit about the pups. It is what it is.
Apparently, there are some really good breeders, of excellent lineage pups, who do care. But ive not met one yet.

And i wont go searching for one again.
Thanks for the solid reply!!! I will DEF not be securing another dog from her! My initial query was just to determine if this was the norm in the breeder world, not to get BS from my post. As I stated, she has a history of bing bashed online, but I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt and realize there a lot of keyboard commandos who take any opportunity to lash out. Unfortunately, in this xcase, it appears people were correct! On the upside, after posting this, she reached out to lash out and share that,as of this morning, she has registration on the way (at least she sent me a screen shot of what she claims is registration for my dog).

I went so far as to offer the services of my business to assist her in some of the damage she has received from the online postings. I now understand that they appear to have merit and be well-deserved. My dog is my dog, no chance I would return him, regardless if I get papers or not.

After having him chipped, dewormed, treated for giardia and coccidiosis he is feisty and a great pup!!!

As you said, lesson learned! Getting a dog from Trikos may be a bit spendy, but there has been ZERO credible information that I've found to suggest they and their dogs are less than stellar!!

Thanks again for your productive and objective reply!!

Please Register!
Old 09-02-2016, 08:22 PM   #27 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Scott View Post
JMHO but the pup having so many health issues pretty much tells you what you want to know about the breeder.

"Let the buyer beware"!
Thanks for the reply! It was kinda my searching to find if what I experienced is the norm. This woman told me to expect these things with pups. Others have told me that a breeder with 50+ dogs and most all of them being housed on dirt is a bad sign. I'm not a breeder and didn't not have experience either way. Lesson learned. My guy is now healthy and lesson learned!

Please Register!
Old 09-02-2016, 09:43 PM   #28 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Personal Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Denver View Post
I recently purchased my first Mal and considering picking up another. While I am already VERY attached to my pup and happy to have him, my experience has been questionable with this breeder. First, she tells me time and again that she will send papers so that I can register my pup - I'm tired of having to continue to call her, get promises and then...nothing. Apparently, she is "Very busy"!?

While this leaves a bad taste dealing with her personally, when I travelled eight hours from Colorado to New Mexico to pick-up my dog, I arrived Friday night and made my way to her place at 7:30 the next morning - we had no set time for my arrival. She refused to come out to greet me, telling me, via text, to come back at 9:00 and how inappropriate arriving so early was, I just wanted to get on the road. Later she accused me of coming early to "inspect" her facility. I will say that I expected things to look a little different...21 puppies sharing a pen, in the dirt with chewed up plywood, shoes and kids toys for dog toys, LOADS of poo and a lot of fly traps hanging and full of flies!!

Once we got home, took my boy to the vet and he had Coccidia, Giardia and worms, all things my vet said is not "rare" in puppies!

She had kennels away from her home with 40+ dogs as well as a few makeshift pens with a few adult dogs.

I still want another Mal and wondering...am I being irrational or does this entire scenario seem a little off!?

Thoughts!?
I looked over your photos, Andrew. I know people who live in worse facilities with dogs who are walking skeletons!

Please Register!
Old 09-03-2016, 10:50 AM   #29 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H Sternberg View Post
I looked over your photos, Andrew. I know people who live in worse facilities with dogs who are walking skeletons!
That's what I was hoping for, a little confirmation that the dogs living on the dirt was no issue. I was just curious as other breeders I had visited in my area had actual kennels with concrete floors, etc. I still don't know that I'm a fan of allowing these dogs to use plywood as chew toys, but I have my boy at home now - and can control that - have had him chipped, dewormed and treated for a couple other "infections" and he is all good to go!!

Thanks!

Please Register!
Old 09-04-2016, 06:14 AM   #30 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Other

Dirt's better for puppies, concrete can cause the pups to have flat feet.

Some of my best dogs cost less than 300 and are/were unregisterd, Indie is unregistered and was 150 he's awesome. Alis was 300 unregistered and is now a police dog. Registration is BS and just money making scheme IMO.

http://www.working-dog.eu/dogs-detai...merend-Thistle
Matt Vandart is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!