Does this seem right? - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header



Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » General Working Dog Discussion » Does this seem right?

General Working Dog Discussion If it's about working dogs and doesn't fit in another forum, it goes in here. General questions, general discussion, etc.


Reply
tcat left
Does this seem right?
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 09-01-2016, 08:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ankle Biter
 
Status: Junior Member
Training: Schutzhund
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 9
Does this seem right?

I recently purchased my first Mal and considering picking up another. While I am already VERY attached to my pup and happy to have him, my experience has been questionable with this breeder. First, she tells me time and again that she will send papers so that I can register my pup - I'm tired of having to continue to call her, get promises and then...nothing. Apparently, she is "Very busy"!?

While this leaves a bad taste dealing with her personally, when I travelled eight hours from Colorado to New Mexico to pick-up my dog, I arrived Friday night and made my way to her place at 7:30 the next morning - we had no set time for my arrival. She refused to come out to greet me, telling me, via text, to come back at 9:00 and how inappropriate arriving so early was, I just wanted to get on the road. Later she accused me of coming early to "inspect" her facility. I will say that I expected things to look a little different...21 puppies sharing a pen, in the dirt with chewed up plywood, shoes and kids toys for dog toys, LOADS of poo and a lot of fly traps hanging and full of flies!!

Once we got home, took my boy to the vet and he had Coccidia, Giardia and worms, all things my vet said is not "rare" in puppies!

She had kennels away from her home with 40+ dogs as well as a few makeshift pens with a few adult dogs.

I still want another Mal and wondering...am I being irrational or does this entire scenario seem a little off!?

Thoughts!?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg irenea.jpg (129.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg ireneb.jpg (193.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg irenec.jpg (129.2 KB, 23 views)
Andrew Denver is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Please visit our Sponsor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-01-2016, 08:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Landshark
 
Status: Senior Member
Training: Search & Rescue
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southeast Virginia
Posts: 1,838
Re: Does this seem right?

IMO, I would not have shown up at 0730 at anyone's house unless they knew I was coming that early. Especially since there was no set time, I would have sent a text the night before and asked if I could have come over early tomorrow so I could get back on the road due to the long trip, etc. You probably caught her still in bed so I don't consider her response out of line.

The pens and such do not appear bad. I know its hard to see small details in pics like this but they look better than several other operations I've seen. I would rather see the pups on dirt then penned up on concrete.

My last pup came to me with giardia and had a UTI which was a first for me and could be within the realm of "normal" although unexpected as it was a first for me. The breeder had done first wormings and I followed up with a second a couple of weeks later. Worms are not uncommon in puppies.

As far as the papers, who was the litter being registered through? You could contact them and see if they have a litter registration listed with their organization from this breeder. Has the breeder given you any timeframe of when you will see the paperwork? I know my pup was being registered in Germany and they had not yet gotten the papers back by the time I was picking up. They showed up in the mail about a month later along with the chip I needed to put in the dog.

It could also be that you have so pissed of this breeder that she's just being spiteful and delaying sending them to you give a little of your own back to you.
__________________
-You can lead a human to knowledge but you can't make it think.
-Some people's minds are like concrete. All mixed up & permanently set.
-Sometimes your knight in shining armour is just a retard in tin foil.
Sarah Platts is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 09-01-2016, 08:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Landshark
 
leslie cassian's Avatar
 
Status: Senior Member
Training: Undecided
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,660
Re: Does this seem right?

Why do you have to ask? Are you asking if this is typical of breeders? Maybe large volume, in it for the money, churn out puppies as fast as you can sell them breeders, but not what I would want to see if I was looking for a pup.

When I went to pick up my puppy, oh so many years ago, I drove six hours just to look at them. Then drove home and thought about it for a couple of days before driving back to get my puppy.

The pups were clean, the kennels were rustic, but also clean and well made, and the few dogs he had on the property looked healthy and happy.

If I had driven into what you are describing, I would have turned around and started looking for another breeder. But that's me. Why would you want to get another pup from this breeder after all you've been through? Sick pup, rude breeder (though showing up without an appointment at 7:30 is pretty early), difficulty getting paperwork you are entitled to... you really want more of the same? What would make you want to go back there? The superior quality of her breeding dogs? The carefully thought out breeding plans? Health testing? Or was she just the cheapest around with pups on the ground?

You are going to spend a lot of money on this pup during the course of his lifetime. Stack the cards in your favour by choosing a breeder carefully.
leslie cassian is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
 
Old 09-01-2016, 09:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ankle Biter
 
Status: Junior Member
Training: Schutzhund
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 9
Re: Does this seem right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Platts View Post
IMO, I would not have shown up at 0730 at anyone's house unless they knew I was coming that early. Especially since there was no set time, I would have sent a text the night before and asked if I could have come over early tomorrow so I could get back on the road due to the long trip, etc. You probably caught her still in bed so I don't consider her response out of line.

The pens and such do not appear bad. I know its hard to see small details in pics like this but they look better than several other operations I've seen. I would rather see the pups on dirt then penned up on concrete.

My last pup came to me with giardia and had a UTI which was a first for me and could be within the realm of "normal" although unexpected as it was a first for me. The breeder had done first wormings and I followed up with a second a couple of weeks later. Worms are not uncommon in puppies.

As far as the papers, who was the litter being registered through? You could contact them and see if they have a litter registration listed with their organization from this breeder. Has the breeder given you any timeframe of when you will see the paperwork? I know my pup was being registered in Germany and they had not yet gotten the papers back by the time I was picking up. They showed up in the mail about a month later along with the chip I needed to put in the dog.

It could also be that you have so pissed of this breeder that she's just being spiteful and delaying sending them to you give a little of your own back to you.
Remind me to never buy a pup from you! !
Andrew Denver is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 09-01-2016, 09:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ankle Biter
 
Status: Junior Member
Training: Schutzhund
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 9
Re: Does this seem right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie cassian View Post
Why do you have to ask? Are you asking if this is typical of breeders? Maybe large volume, in it for the money, churn out puppies as fast as you can sell them breeders, but not what I would want to see if I was looking for a pup.

When I went to pick up my puppy, oh so many years ago, I drove six hours just to look at them. Then drove home and thought about it for a couple of days before driving back to get my puppy.

The pups were clean, the kennels were rustic, but also clean and well made, and the few dogs he had on the property looked healthy and happy.

If I had driven into what you are describing, I would have turned around and started looking for another breeder. But that's me. Why would you want to get another pup from this breeder after all you've been through? Sick pup, rude breeder (though showing up without an appointment at 7:30 is pretty early), difficulty getting paperwork you are entitled to... you really want more of the same? What would make you want to go back there? The superior quality of her breeding dogs? The carefully thought out breeding plans? Health testing? Or was she just the cheapest around with pups on the ground?

You are going to spend a lot of money on this pup during the course of his lifetime. Stack the cards in your favour by choosing a breeder carefully.
This is why I asked if this was the norm! Pup wasn't cheap...well, cheap is relative. This woman has some previous negative juju online, including this Forum, but I spoke directly to her numerous times and she sold a good story. Maybe posting this here isn't such a good idea as it appears people here seem to be a bit flip and quick to attack! Think I'll just go with my gut and pick-up a Trikos dog!

Thanks anyway!
Andrew Denver is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 09-01-2016, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Landshark
 
Status: Senior Member
Training: Search & Rescue
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southeast Virginia
Posts: 1,838
Re: Does this seem right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Denver View Post
Remind me to never buy a pup from you! !
Not a problem. Clearly you have certain expectations. I suggest you stop looking at pups and go find a operation with the dogs housed to your criteria. If they are housed the way you like them then get a pup from them because great housing = great pups.

I am sorry my lack of support for your position comes across as an "attack".

Be well and have a peachy day.
__________________
-You can lead a human to knowledge but you can't make it think.
-Some people's minds are like concrete. All mixed up & permanently set.
-Sometimes your knight in shining armour is just a retard in tin foil.
Sarah Platts is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 09-01-2016, 01:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar
 
Howard Knauf's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Training: Police K9
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Melbourne, Florida
Posts: 3,367
Re: Does this seem right?

We are brutally honest on this forum. If you ask for an opinion here then that is exactly what you'll get. If you want rainbows and Unicorns this is not the place to be. If you want the truth, and great training advice then THIS is the place to be. Your choice.
__________________
https://spacecoasttactical.com
Howard Knauf is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 09-01-2016, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar
 
Nicole Stark's Avatar
 
Status: Senior Member
Training: Don't Train My Dog
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Alaska
Posts: 5,044
Re: Does this seem right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Denver View Post
I recently purchased my first Mal and considering picking up another.

** that doesn't seem right. What's the rush? Are you looking to get one from the same person? Is that why you are asking?

While I am already VERY attached to my pup and happy to have him, my experience has been questionable with this breeder. First, she tells me time and again that she will send papers so that I can register my pup - I'm tired of having to continue to call her, get promises and then...nothing. Apparently, she is "Very busy"!?

** no timeframe was given for the above. How long have you had the pup? Pestering someone you have been told is busy is off putting, so is being dismissed or lied to - which she may be doing to you. Either way, that doesn't seem right.

While this leaves a bad taste dealing with her personally, when I travelled eight hours from Colorado to New Mexico to pick-up my dog, I arrived Friday night and made my way to her place at 7:30 the next morning - we had no set time for my arrival.

** no that doesn't seem right. Why did you do that? It's awfully forward of you to just show up at a strangers house without a prior agreement of your arrival time.

She refused to come out to greet me, telling me, via text, to come back at 9:00 and how inappropriate arriving so early was, I just wanted to get on the road.

** understandable. This making a plan of your own is more than a bit forward and doesn't seem right to me. I wouldn't have greeted you either under those circumstances.

Later she accused me of coming early to "inspect" her facility.

** Well, this is part projection (likely due to wrong doing) on her part. People see the world as they are. If she suspected your early arrive was for the sole purpose of busting her out I'd say she just gave up her own game. And that doesn't seem right.

I will say that I expected things to look a little different...21 puppies sharing a pen, in the dirt with chewed up plywood, shoes and kids toys for dog toys, LOADS of poo and a lot of fly traps hanging and full of flies!!

** not ideal. If you had a different expectations then yes of course that wouldn't seem right.

Once we got home, took my boy to the vet and he had Coccidia, Giardia and worms, all things my vet said is not "rare" in puppies!

** read what you wrote above. Does it surprise you? Really the truth is puppies are kind of gross in that respect. The eat shit, get worms, etc. My little Dutch arrived clean, bright eyed, worm free and with a nasty intent to bite. I think things spun off from hell can be a little like that - I think it was a trick .

She had kennels away from her home with 40+ dogs as well as a few makeshift pens with a few adult dogs.

** there are people who have more dogs than that on their premises. I am curious, what brought you to this breeder and how is it that you were not aware of roughly the number of dogs she had for breeding? If she had 40, the thought of 21 puppies at one time doesn't surprise me. In this case, and it's a judgment on my part but no, that isn't right. Few can correctly run an operation like that and when you see the animals housed like livestock then its a fair question to ask and no, it doesn't seem right. There's a way to do that correctly and there's a way to do it that clearly shows you are cutting corners and making your living off selling dogs. As I said, few can do that with the correct degree of execution.

I still want another Mal and wondering...am I being irrational or does this entire scenario seem a little off!?

** I'll repeat what I said above about that. It doesn't seem right. Course I might be reading what you said out of context as you make you reference to when you might want to invite another Mal in.

Thoughts!?
My responses are in your quoted material above followed by **.
__________________
Do Not Disturb
Nicole Stark is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 09-01-2016, 02:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ankle Biter
 
Status: Junior Member
Training: Schutzhund
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 9
Re: Does this seem right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Knauf View Post
We are brutally honest on this forum. If you ask for an opinion here then that is exactly what you'll get. If you want rainbows and Unicorns this is not the place to be. If you want the truth, and great training advice then THIS is the place to be. Your choice.
Maybe "brutal"?? I've seen a couple threads that were full of materially false statements when bashing a breeder. But, I get your point!
Andrew Denver is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 09-01-2016, 02:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ankle Biter
 
Status: Junior Member
Training: Schutzhund
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 9
Re: Does this seem right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole Stark View Post
My responses are in your quoted material above followed by **.
I do find it kind of funny that some seem to laser focus on my arriving at 7:30 "without prior arrangement". Guess I would think that I wanted to get back on the road for my eight hour drive. The fact that her reply was that she voiced concern that I was "inspecting" her property is what put me off. Whether I want a dog now or in six months, I am wanting to get some input on a better choice of breeders - think I'm going to go with Trikos.

I did my due diligence and spoke exhaustively with this breeder and gave her benefit of the doubt even after this forum bashed her for having had 44 dogs seized a few years back. She won her case, got her dogs back and had all charges dropped, but this forum continued to bash her without any proof of wrongdoing - pretty much the norm with keyboard commandos!!

I'll stick with a more interactive form of vetting. Thanks anyway for the replies!
Andrew Denver is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 AM.


 

SEO by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5