Chameleon e-collar - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » General Working Dog Discussion » Chameleon e-collar

General Working Dog Discussion If it's about working dogs and doesn't fit in another forum, it goes in here. General questions, general discussion, etc.

tcat left
Chameleon e-collar
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 08-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Police K9
Chameleon e-collar

http://www.dogsport.be/shop-product-...5-62dbf6397c0a

has any one used it. and it better have a liftime no Qs asked warranty for 690EU
sam haddad is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Please visit our Sponsor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Police K9
Re: Chameleon e-collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam haddad View Post
http://www.dogsport.be/shop-product-...5-62dbf6397c0a

has any one used it. and it better have a liftime no Qs asked warranty for 690EU
sorry its not out yet. looks cool though. pair that with the ring remote and you could take your dog to an akc event without getting the look of death
sam haddad is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 08-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: Personal Protection

it's a good example of an effort to refine product development but I feel diminishing size is premature for remotes because the performance is not good enough yet

One of the key areas where I see performance lacking is with capacitor cycle frequency in continuous mode. If you hold the continuous button down, the capacitors in the collar discharge, recharge and discharge at a frequency based on the battery's voltage, capacitor size and what I imagine is something like a MOSFET to switch the capacitors. A low frequency results in a relatively slow pulsing instead of a more continous discharge. Think about how fast a dog's reflexes are and you will realize this has a completely different effect on the dog than continous pressure.

We really have nick and pulse. Since the remote is useful for both positive punishment and negative reinforcement, we need a better collar that delivers low levels of more continous pressure. I believe that will come with a different selection of battery and capacitor parameters that allow a mosfet to switch at a higher frequency. We're getting a couple hertz right now at best and we should have at least several hundred hertz or a kilohertz.

Another way to do it would be with a completely different mechanism. The vibrate mechanism in my remote is the most useful feature. Beep is second. I don't even use stim anymore but I would be more likely to with a completely different dog than the one I have.

Unfortunately, sales to pet people totally overwhelms the sport and gun dog markets and product development for performance has slowed to a crawl. Instead we're going to get Apple versions of the products that look like iRemotes or iCollars and come in slick cases with fruity looking color accents and flashy LED's, and they'll be an app for it on your phone instead of a separate transmitter.
Bart Karmich is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 08-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: PSA

I'm interested on how this will be refined in the coming years. I like the idea very much! This design has a lot of potential as the kinks get worked out.

Please Register!
Old 08-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

euro 690 and does NOT include the transmitter?
I don't think I'll be buying one anytime soon
Thomas Barriano is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 08-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Thornton View Post
I'm interested on how this will be refined in the coming years. I like the idea very much! This design has a lot of potential as the kinks get worked out.

Potential? For what? How would this improve your e-collar training during training sessions? What is appealing about the potential to have a concealed remote-collar on an untrained dog?

Please Register!
Old 08-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Maybe this collar is trying to capitalize on markets where e-collars are banned. The description says it can be "adapted" to laws, presumably by disabling it, but the design suggests it will rather evade recognition.

Please Register!
Old 08-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other

don't know about the electronics in it, but obviously another "advancement" based on how it looks to people rather than how it works for the dog....just like that leather collar it was attached to that was built "inside out"
- smooth side out for people to look at, rather than smooth side in, where it rides on the dog's neck/fur ...
rick smith is online now   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 08-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: PSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam haddad View Post
sorry its not out yet. looks cool though. pair that with the ring remote and you could take your dog to an akc event without getting the look of death
Should have quoted what I meant. I was agreeing on the AKC comment. Sure it's really only for the sensitive general public, but hey, it's a cool idea nonetheless.

Please Register!
Old 08-10-2012, 11:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other

i don't understand why it would bother people about the "looks" they get from other people when they are out with their dog ??
i take dogs out in crowded public places ALL the time ... with Ecollars on and with muzzles on
- i get lots of looks, questions and comments ....puzzled looks, scared looks, Q's about the "shock collar", and comments like "isn't a shock collar hurting the dog ?", etc etc etc
... no big deal
- i walk dogs in muzzles right past a line of little leaguers and other kids sports teams begging for donations while their parents behind them are quivering, which also doesn't bother me a BIT

why should anyone want to dress a dog in something that "looks good" or is "cool" unless it was better for the dog ?
- about the only dress i'll put on a dog is a bandana but it does have a bit of function too
- overall, the dogs BEHAVIOR is the only cool factor i want to project

people who see a dog under control with a confident handler are impressed over here....just as much as some fluff ball dressed in a wild looking cute vest

building a collar just so you can hide it from public view is a step backwards in Ecollar R/D imo and has NO cool factor for me, and this one actually looks like it might even be a fur catcher which would be a NEGATIVE to me

otoh ... the bellon micro collar seemed like a step forward.....less brick weight to hang on a dog's neck
-unfortunately their web site was a black hole and non responsive to american inquiries from Japan, and after i inquired here, it seemed like no one on has used it or wasn't impressed or interested enuff to repond, so i gave up on trying to get one... so i saved some bucks
- and i doubt i'll be trying to get the newest most expensive edition that is only available in "limited quantities" either

just my opinions of course since i have no way to know what kind of electronics are in the newest version
rick smith is online now   Reply With Quote

Please Register!