black wolves and clear headed dogs - Page 3 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » General Working Dog Discussion » black wolves and clear headed dogs

General Working Dog Discussion If it's about working dogs and doesn't fit in another forum, it goes in here. General questions, general discussion, etc.

tcat left
black wolves and clear headed dogs
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 04-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: Undecided
Location: A desert in California not too far from the mountains.
Big OOPs, didn't read right again. She didn't say that!! I was just thinking of how people with practice can learn to handle super exciting and/or stressful situations. Myself, I stress and react without thinking pretty naturally, but my folks handle emergencies in stride. I thank God they raised me and helped me learn to react a little more appropriately. I've actually helped others stop and think in high stress situations a few times. I could never handle a job that involved that though. As for my Shepinois and Mal, they bite first without much thinking it seems when in high drive. I'm soo glad I got the less driven Shepinois first. She taught me, along with the forum about this. I have to recognize when they are about to become not clear headed to prevent problems. And most importantly, train in these situations. Younger the better, I agree. I know the female Shepinois can think and not bite inappropriately. She doesn't want to risk a bite from my bigger, more dominate male, so she now controls herself with him completely. She respects an e collar too. Just my input as a novice. Love learning from you guys.
Gina Mezin is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2017, 12:34 PM   #22 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: Undecided
Location: A desert in California not too far from the mountains.
I don't mean to say this is a respect issue mostly, but a breaking through to get attention issue. Different dogs may respond to different approaches to break through to get their attention.
Gina Mezin is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-27-2017, 11:18 PM   #23 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other
Re: black wolves and clear headed dogs

tx for the inputs

here's the best example i could find of what i would consider a high drive clear headed working dog that doesn't involve much gripping/biting :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2BfzUIBy9A

it happens to be the same vid i posted before as an example of proofing but for me it explains clearheaded too
rick smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!

Old 04-28-2017, 07:11 AM   #24 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other

chaulk up another thread from my weird POV //lol//

over the years my perspective just seems to get weirder whenever i try and connect “pets” with “working dogs”

oddly enuff, i see more amd more similarities rather than differences. this forum seems more oriented towards discussing the differences, with the emphasis on the “working” side. no biggy…different strokes for different folks
rick smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-28-2017, 10:12 AM   #25 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

rick, I'm surprised its taken you this long to realize/verbalize that. We are after all here to talk about dogs. What drew people here, obviously lies in the topic of the forum header. The reason for that has more to do with social interests than anything.

Please Register!