balancing family with a working dog hobby - Page 3 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » General Working Dog Discussion » balancing family with a working dog hobby

General Working Dog Discussion If it's about working dogs and doesn't fit in another forum, it goes in here. General questions, general discussion, etc.

tcat left
balancing family with a working dog hobby
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 04-18-2016, 08:59 PM   #21 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: Undecided
Location: A desert in California not too far from the mountains.
Re: balancing family with a working dog hobby

Thanks for the info. Your Dutch is quite the character! I have to anticipate a lot with the Dobe. As a pup she grabbed up all sorts of objects. Now, in her old age, its just any food she can get away with. She needs to know I'm serious. She wouldn't retaliate, but fighting her doesn't work. I call her the tank, as she mows down whatever is in her way to get what she wants. I've noticed how changing my feeding routine (how I ask them to wait) can confuse them. They anticipate a lot without really listening, or they read gestures. I'm working on getting rid of the little gestures that I hardly realize I do. Any routines or purposeful variation of routine in the use of the crate? Thanks
Gina Mezin is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2016, 09:18 PM   #22 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

For the crates, they are valuable for travel in the summer and across the trail in the winter. I do contain the Dutch when I am unable to watch her, which is about 4-5 hours a day. The routine for that is the same and I always provide a reward either for her to find in it or to offer once she's in and sitting, which she does automatically.

A purposeful variation? Depends who you ask, I guess. Some might take a look at the below and think what useless shit. As I said, I use everything with my pups and at times in relatively unorthodox ways. Move to about .40 seconds in the video if you want to see just that part with the crate. The earlier stuff was for footing and to get accustomed to putting her head in odd places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNNODKtmTSI

BTW I always vary my feeding schedule. I even change the bowls, placement, frequency of meals, etc. All of it's variable.

Please Register!
Old 04-18-2016, 10:40 PM   #23 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Cool video.

Gotta LOVE her drive.

........and I still think your Mastiff is one of the best looking ones on the planet.

Built for function!

Please Register!

Old 04-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #24 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Yes, I love the drive too. Like her climbing and athletic approach. Thanks for this video example and your other examples. I like trying stuff like that too. You inspired me and I tried it on my four. The borsenji got in there in less than five seconds. The problem solving ability on this dog is the highest I've seen in my personal dogs. (To be fair, the Pyr and Dobe have never been crated in their lives and the borsenji likes a crate sometimes) The Shepinois and Pyr circled a few times and casually tried to see if I left food somewhere else that was easier to get = Not high drive at all. The Dobe bashed the crate, even got her nose stuck for a second. She got lucky with the bashing and the door swung open. She got it on the second pass once the door was wide open. Her tank approach works for her.

I can't wait for a mal puppy to have drive plus athleticism. I'm not excited to bring the Shepinois to the obedience/protection class, (this may be why I've been putting it off, as well as how uncomfortable she is in the car). I just don't know if she can get motivated on my praise alone. I was told "no food." Toys don't even do much for her. Maybe this weekend I can share how it went. I've been working on the car situation and she is about 50% better. I HAD to take the poor thing on a 1 hr. 45 min ride though and by the second half she was drooling. This ride is a little under an hour.

Anyone hear from Rick, don't know where he is located in Japan. I know he was vacationing before the quakes. Pray he is well.

Please Register!
Old 04-19-2016, 12:15 PM   #25 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

That's good to hear! Did you film it?

It might not be of interest to note why the Dutch went in there to begin with. She was sent to retrieve the metal pipes that were in there. The Mastiff would have walked over and opened the door. Since I had never done anything like that with this odd looking contraption of a crate, to her it was not obvious initially that it had a door. That was the first time I used it, aside from that piece of garbage I don't have any metal crates.

I put the copper pipes in there. I wanted to see if she'd see the barrier and give up, given her age (6 mo) would she continue the search and effort, go off and play with the Mastiff (not usually an option since I worked the Dutch around the Mastiff early on) or would she stick with it and get inside. I expect she would have just opened the door if it had been a standard crate but since this wasn't that's what made it interesting to me (it's a cut down contraption to fit a small space).

Several times she got on top which opened the door, but her pattern was to circle right which closed the open door. I didn't leave the video on long enough because eventually she got inside and picked up both copper pipes. To this day, just hearing the sound of a metal pipe hitting the floor and she'll come skidding around a corner to get it before I do.

Interesting though. My plan was to throw that mess away but for some reason it seemed useful for training so I kept it. The Mastiff hasn't seen it since that exercise. I will put it back out there and see what she does. Since it's nothing she can fit into I will use it for the same purpose which would be a search and retrieve.

I have not heard from rick, but i did notice that he accessed the forum somewhat recently. He's usually on when I am in the evenings.

Please Register!
Old 04-19-2016, 04:21 PM   #26 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

No, didn't record it. Will have to see if I can video something in the future. So far, I can't even figure out how to post a photo right side up. Will work on it.

Please Register!
Old 04-19-2016, 05:43 PM   #27 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

Training: PSA

I went to training one time and forgot about my anniversary, not good, don't do that. My only advice for you LOL

Please Register!
Old 04-19-2016, 06:47 PM   #28 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

Training: Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
I went to training one time and forgot about my anniversary, not good, don't do that. My only advice for you LOL

Well Khoi, if you married the right girl then she would unders...hahahahahaha! Just kidding. I did that once too.
Brian McQuain is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-19-2016, 07:47 PM   #29 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Personal Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
You are my hero. If that's the only time you blew your anniversary I don't know what she's whining about.

Please Register!
Old 04-19-2016, 08:48 PM   #30 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H Sternberg View Post
You are my hero. If that's the only time you blew your anniversary I don't know what she's whining about.
Ahhhh, he lives. Welcome back Lee!

Please Register!