balancing family with a working dog hobby - Page 2 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » General Working Dog Discussion » balancing family with a working dog hobby

General Working Dog Discussion If it's about working dogs and doesn't fit in another forum, it goes in here. General questions, general discussion, etc.

tcat left
balancing family with a working dog hobby
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 04-14-2016, 04:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog
Re: balancing family with a working dog hobby

I have 5-7 crates of different types (hard bodied) and just two dogs currently. As far as boating, I opted initially for a short tether which has a quick release. In the situation of boating weird stuff can happen so you might want to reconsider a crate if you don't need it. Course if you only mean for a baby puppy, then that probably makes sense to safely contain them. Not surprisingly all of my dogs have bailed out of the boat at least once.

BTW I do the same as Kadi does with my dogs. I don't object to the notion that they can and should have companionship with other dogs. The "center of the world" status is something I don't ever want from any one person or thing.

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2016, 05:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: Undecided
Location: A desert in California not too far from the mountains.

Good info. I figured you'd have several crates. Makes sense allowing a dog to bail out and having it on a short tether. I was thinking of when we were docked and sleeping too for the crate. Cool that you think that they should have companionship with other dogs. I love watching my dogs play, especially with puppies. On the other hand, I want this guy to know his role. Im thinking hiding him away from my family and dogs would be unfair and dangerous, but he will get to be with me in many more situations as a PPD. I think this should be plenty of a bond. I'm guessing that growing up with the older dogs will help him get along with all dogs better up to some point. Your Dutchie sounds very well rounded. That is my number one goal, with the PPD and social aspect of training for me to follow.
Gina Mezin is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-14-2016, 08:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

I do find her to be extremely manageable. Most people who have met this dog outside of the weight pulling community do not like her. It's understandable.

My mastiff is one of those dogs, if you are into such a thing, that in my world, should raise up every dog that comes after it. There are certain ones that this is not a good idea for (reactive for example). In some cases people feel it makes the pup to doggy for sport. But does it really do that was the inclination there to begin with and it just wasn't measured or managed well enough?

Please Register!

Old 04-15-2016, 12:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

I don't know enough about sport to know what too doggy would look like. I'm not real perfectionistic, so having a dog that seems like an extension to my body does not appeal to me. Glad there is some variety in dog sports and activities.

My Pyrenees didn't ever play with my youngest when she was a pup. He is very serious except with me occasionally and my Borsenji. He makes up his mind as to who is worthy maybe. My senior dobe has been great with pups. The borsenji is crazy playful. So much stamina in that dog. I dont know how the Shepinois does with pups yet, but so far she is very respectful of male dogs. I will be careful until I know. What do you like about your Mastiff's style with pups?

Please Register!
Old 04-15-2016, 12:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina Mezin View Post
What do you like about your Mastiff's style with pups?
It's more about what I like about the dog herself. She's very stable environmentally, confident, curious, independent, self sufficient, an exceptional scent/hunting dog (from voles, to fish, to medium sized game all the way up to bear). She has developed a more primal side to the Dutch, one that as a human being I don't think I could have ever influenced to the degree that she has.

With the Dutch as a pup order seemed to fall into place naturally. Despite both being bitches, there are no resource issues between them. They play, the Dutch curiously handicaps herself with fake falls so the Mastiff can pin her. Surely, that's not what she's thinking when she's doing that (or maybe she is) but whatever it is, the dogs have a very balanced and fluid relationship with one another.

The Mastiff has a presence about her that is hard to put words to.

Please Register!
Old 04-15-2016, 09:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

That's neat what they can teach each other. I certainly understand why someone can have only one dog, but for me, that would be hard. Also, am all about more than one breed. The confident, more independent nature of my Pyrenees is great, as is his way of finding a high vantage point and watching way off. My favorite thing is how his calm but serious presence keeps dogs from messing with us on walks. And how when he has put his mouth around a strange dogs head that it chooses to not struggle, but just leaves us alone. If a dog is going totally nuts, he just blocks us. I hope to make my life a little more simple and get down to two or three dogs only eventually. A homestead guarding type and a more in tune to human direction type like a Mal. I dont know anything about hunting though. I think if I ever got involved with it, it would be small game and only with a dog. Just wasn't brought up with it, so my mind wont go there yet. Even target shooting made me a bit uncomfortable at first. Now I enjoy that quite a bit. Thanks for sharing.

Please Register!
Old 04-18-2016, 06:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole Stark View Post
Gina as far as boating. Unless the pup is spooky, don't give it a second thought. The Dutch was boating in inboard and outboard boats at 12 weeks, by 7 months she was flying in a bush plane and cool around guns, heavy equipment, etc. A few months later she was being hauled 60+ miles by snow machine, in a freight sled, and just about every weekend.
Your life sounds awesome

http://www.working-dog.eu/dogs-detai...merend-Thistle
Matt Vandart is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-18-2016, 06:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole Stark View Post
If Kadi does what I think she will do, there's a chance this pup will have had crate time early on. If you are not sure, ask her. Mine arrived as a very, very, small adult version of herself. She was a mini for a while, at 2.5 years that changed. Why? Late to mature I guess.

Anyway, in the crate her resting character was/is exceptional and it's like that if loose in the car which I only permitted twice. In fact, she is so quiet it's easy to forget she's with me. It's in environments where there's more excitement and activity that she becomes more cagey.

A word of caution, just something to think about... I've seen people get high drive dogs and work them with this notion that these dogs need to be highly stimulated and for prolonged periods of time. For some this isn't a problem. But it can be one of the worst things you can do with certain high drive dogs. It's like they can't learn to settle in properly and this is when things can go south.

There's a time and place for work and there's a time for rest. I don't deviate from that and the pup adapted exceptionally well from the get go. I do believe that if I was out there running the piss out of her every day, throwing a ball or whatever or hours at a time given her natural ramped drive state when not resting, she'd be a spun up mess.

Just be careful in that regard. It might not make sense now, but in time it eventually will.
This ^^ I made this mistake with my dobes, it was hell for about two years, lol

http://www.working-dog.eu/dogs-detai...merend-Thistle
Matt Vandart is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-18-2016, 02:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Glad to be getting the same advice about a time to work and a time to rest. For sure I will maintain the above, but do you find it beneficial to stick to any daily schedules with a dog or pup and/or are there times to mix it up so you don't have a dog anticipating.

Thanks. And I agree with Matt, sounds like Nicole, you have a lot of fun

Please Register!
Old 04-18-2016, 06:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Thanks guys. I do have a lot of fun. Course, I'm up for about anything and when necessary I make a choice to adapt and overcome things that I might initially find unpleasant. Though, I'm not sure I could ever do that Naked and Afraid Show. What a strange notion. The only time I could see being in a real situation like that is when that Baker fella up here entrapped prostitutes, then flew them off to the wild only to hunt them. WTF.

That said, I find there's certain things I don't deviate from but even this can be dependent from dog to dog. They both sit and wait for their food until released but I change positions and distance with the Dutch. It's less necessary for the Mastiff for me to do that. Certain things I don't mind either of them anticipating, like sitting and waiting for me to open the door and release them. I got into pits when I was young. I learned early on this was a breed not well received by the general pubic and it was my duty to make sure I never lost my dog or that no one ever was on the receiving end of something one of my dogs did.

An example of mixing up something small would be that normally I stand up after I put the Dutch's food down and release her. One day, I didn't stand up. I released her and she wouldn't move, I said the same thing and she started by caught herself. I didn't move but as I said free brushed my hand up the back of her neck and that's all that was needed to get her to release. Sometimes I turn her away from the food, put her in a down, or I don't have her sit at all, etc.

A lot of what I do with and for each dog really depends upon the dog. I presume you have kids? I don't but I've heard from countless people that they're not the same and as such people adjust accordingly and just do what works. Why be firm with a crier when talking is all that's needed? Course, I was the kind of kid you'd have to whip and even then I'd laugh and mock it. Knowing this, one might find me and the Dutch an odd combo because she fits that mold too.

I learned very early from the people on this forum who had intimate knowledge of these dogs. "Don't fight with a dog that likes to fight." I don't and she is much easier to handle. To get to B, she has to go through A (me). This isn't quit the center of the world type of handling, but it helps with her impulse control and general awareness that she doesn't run the show. If I didn't take these measures, I'd still have her snatching up whatever she wants.

She did that with a spray paint can when my brother watched her after my dad died. He asked what the hell is wrong with that dog? I just replied and said, I told you, she's like that line in a George Michael song "Everything she wants, is everything she sees."

Please Register!