balancing family with a working dog hobby - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » General Working Dog Discussion » balancing family with a working dog hobby

General Working Dog Discussion If it's about working dogs and doesn't fit in another forum, it goes in here. General questions, general discussion, etc.

tcat left
balancing family with a working dog hobby
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 04-13-2016, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: Undecided
Location: A desert in California not too far from the mountains.
balancing family with a working dog hobby

Wanting advice or to hear about any lessons you've learned while having this hobby and a family.

Besides collecting pets, I haven't had a hobby aside from family activities. This will be a transition. I have a lot of time to myself during the school year, so at least that is good. And thank God everybody likes dogs. Anything you have learned would be great.

Gina
Gina Mezin is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Please visit our Sponsor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2016, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Search & Rescue
Re: balancing family with a working dog hobby

There's a saying: I used to have a life, but then I got dogs.
Sarah Platts is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-13-2016, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Search & Rescue

This is really your choice. You can get a deep in the weeds as you like or stick to the sidewalk. It's a question of priorities. If you are a soccer mom you will need to decide which you want to do. Go to your child's games or go to dog training.

What will you do if something comes up with the dog (that you've been dying to do) and this conflicts with something the family is doing? In the last 14 years I have not taken a vacation that didn't include the dogs. Any "vacations" were searches, workshops, seminars, etc. Good Luck but it really does come down to you and your time management skills.
Sarah Platts is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!

Old 04-13-2016, 11:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Hands down #1 is Having a fantastic spouse.

I have to many hobbies. Dogs, woodworking, cars and gardening.

Over the yrs I've done sculpting, oil painting, mold making, resin casting, yadda, yadda.

Dogs have always been at the top.

I call it the magic of ADHD.

My wonderful wife has always supported what I do...........and she still likes me after 49 yrs come Sept.

Please Register!
Old 04-14-2016, 12:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Awesome Bob. Thank God I married the one I did too. I think I would have made non animal lovers nuts. Our first date, we walked our dogs at the harbor. I was showing him how high my cattle dog could jump and she accidentally jumped on the hood of a parked car. Oops. It wasn't a real fancy car

Camping will be fine for him with the pup, but he doesn't think Catalina Island by boat will be a good idea. I dont want to stress the pup or family so I'm researching. The breeding hasn't even been done. LOL

Please Register!
Old 04-14-2016, 12:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

Gina as far as boating. Unless the pup is spooky, don't give it a second thought. The Dutch was boating in inboard and outboard boats at 12 weeks, by 7 months she was flying in a bush plane and cool around guns, heavy equipment, etc. A few months later she was being hauled 60+ miles by snow machine, in a freight sled, and just about every weekend.

Please Register!
Old 04-14-2016, 12:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Thanks Sarah,

I'm going to have to seek some balance, but I am looking forward to many vacations with the pup or dogs. I dont want to push myself or family too far. It made me feel good to hear you say to do as much or little as I want. I want the whole family to enjoy having a working dog, not loathe us.

Please Register!
Old 04-14-2016, 12:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Super cool Nicole. That's the kind of pup I'm praying for. I think my problems will be about the pup being able to settle down in a crate or dog bag (dont laugh, I'm just thinking on it).

The family will want to spend a little time on the beach and I can't take a dog there. I thought if the pup were small enough and I had a big dog bag, I could carry it inconspicuously. LOL A Mal in a dog bag probably can't be done. I dont know the age or size it would be by trip time. Also, the fam will want to see a nighttime movie. The pup will need to be happily crated, so no one calls harbor patrol.

Thank you for the boat encouragement.

Please Register!
Old 04-14-2016, 02:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

If Kadi does what I think she will do, there's a chance this pup will have had crate time early on. If you are not sure, ask her. Mine arrived as a very, very, small adult version of herself. She was a mini for a while, at 2.5 years that changed. Why? Late to mature I guess.

Anyway, in the crate her resting character was/is exceptional and it's like that if loose in the car which I only permitted twice. In fact, she is so quiet it's easy to forget she's with me. It's in environments where there's more excitement and activity that she becomes more cagey.

A word of caution, just something to think about... I've seen people get high drive dogs and work them with this notion that these dogs need to be highly stimulated and for prolonged periods of time. For some this isn't a problem. But it can be one of the worst things you can do with certain high drive dogs. It's like they can't learn to settle in properly and this is when things can go south.

There's a time and place for work and there's a time for rest. I don't deviate from that and the pup adapted exceptionally well from the get go. I do believe that if I was out there running the piss out of her every day, throwing a ball or whatever or hours at a time given her natural ramped drive state when not resting, she'd be a spun up mess.

Just be careful in that regard. It might not make sense now, but in time it eventually will.

Please Register!
Old 04-14-2016, 03:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Kadi exposes them to a lot, but I'll have to ask about a crate. I know they are rasied inside, but with lots of outside time and trips too. Yes, Kadi warned me about trying to over exercise. My dogs get so used to routine, so I can see what would happen if they became used to a hard exercise regimen (not that that would be bad for every owner). She says, she likes what she calls kitchen training or the pup following her into the kitchen while she cooks to train for short increments and reward with on hand treats. She focuses on the mental part and lets her dogs wear each other out together outside too.

I'm learning that everybody has a different style for management for sure. I like having a pup underfoot maybe more than others, but agree that it will be CRUCIAL that the pup learns down time in a crate. I'm thinking, I will put the pup away at different times of the day and for different intervals even when it may be easier or more fun to just keep him out. I think right away that crating in different rooms and places will be essential too. Which type of crate do you have? I'm thinking for the 25 ft sailboat, I will need a collapsible one.

Thanks for continuing with all your advice!

Please Register!