Stop him from licking his paw - Page 2 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » Diet & Health » Stop him from licking his paw

Diet & Health Anything pertaining to diet or other health and dental issues.

tcat left
Stop him from licking his paw
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 04-04-2017, 08:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: French Ring
Thanks for all of the feedback. I took him to the vet the day after I noticed him not putting pressure on it. It was there that the vet said it was a puncture and that nothing else was in it. He was given some antibiotics to help with infection and was told to not walk him for 3 days. From Tuesday thru Friday I only took him outside to use the bathroom and tried to keep him from running around the house as much as possible. It seemed to heal but the walk on Saturday I think was the cause of opening the wound again.

I did see online where dogs saliva can heal superficial wounds but when I leave him alone in his crate I come home to the bottom of his paw having dried blood on it.

He hasn't been limping or showing any kind of pain from it since around Thursday. I'm guess I'm torn between just letting it heal on its own no matter how long that takes or buying him a boot to cover it. I don't think he'd eat the boot. Btw I looked at it again today and there doesn't appear to be anything in the wounded area. I might start with putting peanut butter in a kong when I leave the house to keep him occupied for a while.
Nathan Vickery is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2017, 06:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Personal Protection
Re: Stop him from licking his paw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Vickery View Post
Last Monday my dog stepped on something that punctured the bottom of his right paw. From Tuesday to Friday he didn't mess with it to much so it was healing over nicely. Saturday my wife and I took him on a long walk (about 3 miles). I kept him in the grass as much as possible but we noticed when we got home that the wound opened up again. I know, I pushed him too far too soon. The problem is now he won't stop licking or biting to let it start to heal again. I can keep him from it when I'm home but when I'm sleeping or out of the house I can't stop him. I'm sure if I wrap it he will just tear it off. Any ideas?

Nathan if you dont have some nustock in your k9 first aid kit I suggest it. Every dog man/woman should have this at hand at all times. Its our go to for cuts, abrasions, hot spots, demo mange, burns etc. been using it for over 25 years. I wont be without it. (I have even used it on myself)
http://www.nustock.com/index.html
Brian Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-16-2017, 12:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

I'm late getting to this post so if it hasn't healed up have you considered an Elizibethan collar?

Please Register!

Old 04-16-2017, 12:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Anderson View Post
Nathan if you dont have some nustock in your k9 first aid kit I suggest it. Every dog man/woman should have this at hand at all times. Its our go to for cuts, abrasions, hot spots, demo mange, burns etc. been using it for over 25 years. I wont be without it. (I have even used it on myself)
http://www.nustock.com/index.html

It sounds like it may be similar to Veterycin ... ?

https://www.chewy.com/vetericyn-plus...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
Connie Sutherland is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-16-2017, 11:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: French Ring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Scott View Post
I'm late getting to this post so if it hasn't healed up have you considered an Elizibethan collar?
Thanks for the response. It has healed finally. I just tried to keep him from biting it as much as possible. Also tried to limit his walks but then kept him in the grass when he needed to get some energy out.
Nathan Vickery is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-16-2017, 04:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

Training: Other

Great to hear he's back on all four. Enjoy your time together.
Meg O'Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!