Stop him from licking his paw - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » Diet & Health » Stop him from licking his paw

Diet & Health Anything pertaining to diet or other health and dental issues.

tcat left
Stop him from licking his paw
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 04-03-2017, 11:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: French Ring
Stop him from licking his paw

Last Monday my dog stepped on something that punctured the bottom of his right paw. From Tuesday to Friday he didn't mess with it to much so it was healing over nicely. Saturday my wife and I took him on a long walk (about 3 miles). I kept him in the grass as much as possible but we noticed when we got home that the wound opened up again. I know, I pushed him too far too soon. The problem is now he won't stop licking or biting to let it start to heal again. I can keep him from it when I'm home but when I'm sleeping or out of the house I can't stop him. I'm sure if I wrap it he will just tear it off. Any ideas?
Nathan Vickery is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Please visit our Sponsor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2017, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Personal Protection
Re: Stop him from licking his paw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Vickery View Post
Last Monday my dog stepped on something that punctured the bottom of his right paw. From Tuesday to Friday he didn't mess with it to much so it was healing over nicely. Saturday my wife and I took him on a long walk (about 3 miles). I kept him in the grass as much as possible but we noticed when we got home that the wound opened up again. I know, I pushed him too far too soon. The problem is now he won't stop licking or biting to let it start to heal again. I can keep him from it when I'm home but when I'm sleeping or out of the house I can't stop him. I'm sure if I wrap it he will just tear it off. Any ideas?

a video of him doing that would be helpful and possibly the foot
Brian Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-03-2017, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: French Ring
It's hard to get it to heal because he's 10 months old and all he wants to do is play. But when I get him to chill he just wants to lick and bite it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2515_1491241291441.jpg (269.6 KB, 16 views)
Nathan Vickery is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!

Old 04-03-2017, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Schutzhund

I have these for my older girl. She is unfazed by having stuff on her feet. Not sure if your guy would leave them on. They have a pretty good fit on the ankles.

http://woodrowwear.com/retail-locati...esale-program/
Patty Beck is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-03-2017, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

My Dutch ripped the pads off her feet racing the ATV and they looked like the example you sent. I was out in the bush so I had no option but to let it heal without much intervention on my part. For her that meant being kept confined and mostly off her feet. Anyway, unless the licking and biting is excessive I'd probably leave it be. I assume it probably is bordering on excessive since you mentioned it and asked for ideas in which case, the above is an option as long as you are comfortable putting a boot on his foot (you might end up with the boot in his stomach). If not, then confinement and time off his feet might be all you can do.

As much as this sentence is said here and probably seems like a cop out for a real solution or answer, it really does depend upon the dog.

Please Register!
Old 04-03-2017, 09:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

Training: Other

If you want it to heal, it's a good idea to keep the air circulating around it, not create a dark, moist environment for germs to grow. Give the dog something to distract it (some kind of toy or "puzzle" with food it has to work really hard to get at), so the dog is not chewing up its foot instead, at least when you are physically present. Try to keep the dog off places where that footpad might pick up new germs, e.g. dog park grass. Is there something that has penetrated the raw area? Did you inspect it really well, or do you need to get a vet's advice?
Meg O'Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-03-2017, 09:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg O'Donovan View Post
Is there something that has penetrated the raw area? Did you inspect it really well, or do you need to get a vet's advice?
I wondered that as well. Glad you asked.

Please Register!
Old 04-03-2017, 10:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

My dogs have lost some small chunks on the footpad before due to ice or going too fast on tarmac. I usually let the dog clean it by itself (apparently dog saliva has some really good healing qualities). If needed, after a few days and the wound is not granulating at all, I would put some medicinal strength medicinal manuka honey on the wound, and get the dog to just lie there for about 15-20 min to let that honey work. If your dog won't lie there w/o licking, you may have to get on the floor too. Then I let the dog clean off the honey and just try to keep the dog occupied with something else. If the dog is really digging into it endlessly, something may still be in the wound or the dog may be bored (young) and finding something to do. If unsure, the best thing would be to visit your vet. Your dog is young, so try to make any vet visit an upbeat training opportunity (treats, praise).
Meg O'Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-03-2017, 11:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

can't see much from that pic so i hesitate to diagnose or offer suggestions
why are you sure it's a puncture ?
how did you clean and flush it ?
what did you put on it ?
how sensitive is he to it ?
does he bear weight on it or lift ?
why do you have a problem with him licking it ?
will he allow u to trim his nails ?

sorry i'm not very helpful but i wouldn't wrap it if it was my dog
i'd just keep it clean
rick smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-04-2017, 06:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Personal Protection

Id pack it with NUSTOCK and wrap it in guaze and tape it and in the crate he would be for a few days... The gauze allows air to still reach the wound but keeps debris and the gnawing down some. Im not a vet and I seldom use a vet so take it for what its worth.
Brian Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!