Raw Diets - (Beginner's) Questions / Discussion - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » Diet & Health » Raw Diets - (Beginner's) Questions / Discussion

Diet & Health Anything pertaining to diet or other health and dental issues.

tcat left
Raw Diets - (Beginner's) Questions / Discussion
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 05-01-2017, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: IPO
Question Raw Diets - (Beginner's) Questions / Discussion

I have some general questions about Feeding Raw Diets. I have been doing some research/reading and was hoping someone can confirm some of the things I have read;

A Raw Diet Should Be Fed in This Ratio (or Close to it):
80% Meat - 10% Bone - 10% Organ

Each Feeding Amount is calculated by;
3-4% of Dogs Bodyweight?
(I.e.: A 100lb dog eats 3-4 lbs for the Entire day, which can be split up into multiple feedings (puppy) or one-or-two (adult)?)

This may be debatable, but do You feed your Adult One or Two meals a Day? What do you find are the advantages or disadvantages to this?

-And for Puppies, two or three meals a day?

How often do you purchase Raw Food for your Puppies/Dogs - Weekly? Bi-weekly? Monthly and Freeze it?

What is your opinion on supplements and do you give your dog any? (if so how much and how often?) (I.e.: Apple Cider Vinegar, Kefir, Kelp, Coconut Oil, Fish Oil, Calcium? How about other things like Bone Support Supplements or Glutamine Products?)

For those of you that live in Canada, or Ontario (Canada) - can you guys recommend any places where you can buy CLEAN(No grain fed - organic) Raw Food (maybe in Bulk) at Fair Prices? If you live else - some general places you may recommend, like a butcher shop maybe?
(I have been looking around and calling some local farmers who seem to have prices much better than at the local Grocery Store - which is nice because I might even get myself some nice Sirloin to BBQ. )
Dan Thi is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Please visit our Sponsor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2017, 09:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: Undecided
Location: A desert in California not too far from the mountains.
I don't know too much about it, but I hope you get some good info here.

As for me, two of my dogs love raw chicken legs and they keep their teeth clean. I don't feed beef bones because I worry that they will wear their teeth down. I'm kinda weird that way, probably most raw feeders do feed beef bones. It's too expensive for me to feed all raw and I do feel that feeding kibble keeps me safer about providing all the required nutrients, because I don't care to work too hard making sure they have a perfectly balanced meal. I definitely believe it can be bad to mix kibble and raw at the same time. I have experienced throwing up on more than one occasion when feeding kibble and raw too close together. Feeding my adults two meals (one raw, one kibble and or canned) about 10 hours apart works fine for them. I tried adding different organ meats in the past, but two of my dogs didn't like the taste of liver unless it was cooked. Just wanted to share my tiny bit of experience.
Gina Mezin is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 05-02-2017, 03:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ate the Tug

Re: Raw Diets - (Beginner's) Questions / Discussion

This may be debatable, but do You feed your Adult One or Two meals a Day? What do you find are the advantages or disadvantages to this?
older and younger, daily amount with more meals. Reason less able to regulate sugar levels in young/old age. Easier on digestive system.

-And for Puppies, two or three meals a day? Two. Im at work all day.

How often do you purchase Raw Food for your Puppies/Dogs - Weekly? Bi-weekly? Monthly and Freeze it?
Monthly: freeze it. With grabbing anything on special midweeks.

What is your opinion on supplements and do you give your dog any? (if so how much and how often?) (I.e.: Apple Cider Vinegar, Kefir, Kelp, Coconut Oil, Fish Oil, Calcium? How about other things like Bone Support Supplements or Glutamine Products?)

Apple cider vinegar is in all dogs drinking supply.
The supplements i add, are also in form of food: fish oil from fish, Calcium from bone, Kelp from kelp.
shelle fenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!

Old 05-02-2017, 06:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Schutzhund

I have been feeding raw for about 10 years or so. I feed my adult dogs 2x a day. When they were puppies I fed 3x a day. I have a meat supplier that I am very happy with. They grind in the bone and liver I add a fruit and vegetable mixture (I will try to attach my recipe) that I make myself and some kind of grain - oatmeal, noodles rice etc. I have to travel a few hours to get meat so I buy 500 pounds at a time. That will last me 6-8 weeks. I don't measure my feedings I watch body condition. I also add a good fish oil supplement to each feeding and coconut oil to the evening feeding. I also add chicken necks. I don't do larger whole bones because ICE is a gulper and I have had to pull wings etc out of his throat. Too scary for me....

My recipe:
Ingredients needed:
2 bags spinach
1 bag carrots
2 large bag green beans
6 bunches of celery
5-6 green peppers
6-8 sweet potatoes or 2 cans of 100% pumpkin (not pie filling)
6 bananas
6 apples or large jar applesauce
2 large cans of oranges
2 large cans pineapple (crushed)
12 eggs (shell and all)
1 whole garlic
2 large yogurt
2-3 containers of strawberries or blueberries or cranberries

I use a food processer and grind the following:
Spinach, carrots, celery, green peppers, green beans, sweet potatoes, bananas, apples, oranges, eggs, garlic, and berries.
I mix all of the ground fruit/veg in a very large Rubbermaid container using a potato masher. Then I add the already mashed stuff (pumpkin, applesauce, pineapple, yogurt) and mix again with the potato masher. This makes about 4-5 batches of fruit/veg mix for me. I separate into bowls and freeze them. I mix one batch at a time with the ground meat mixture. I use approximately 8 pounds fruit/veg mix with 30 pounds of meat. I use the large Rubbermaid container for this also and mix with the potato masher until the meat is all mixed in with the fruit and veg. Then I put that in containers and just scoop some out for feeding time.
Patty Beck is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 05-02-2017, 07:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Undecided

For local suppliers, try Iron Will Raw.

https://ironwillrawdogfood.com/

There are also some pretty active Toronto based facebook groups for raw feeders where people share local sources for raw and if any stores have good sales. Stores catering to a more ethnic customer base usually have a good range of more interesting bits to feed, beyond the usual liver, kidney, heart selection of the big supermarkets.
leslie cassian is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 05-02-2017, 07:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Thanks for sharing Gina! The breeder I'm getting my pup from is feeding an all raw diet, so I would like to continue that! I will definitely have a good talk with him, and i'll share the information I get, on here as well.

Shelle, good point. Supplements are just that, "supplemental" - I guess if your diet is on point there would be no need to add additional nutrients in "artificial" (Not directly from food) form.
I have also read something about possibilities of Bloat with One feeding per day. (Not sure of the exact specifics, will have to look that up again.)

Patty, Thanks for sharing that! If you do not mind adding, how much you pay for 500lbs of Meat...that seems like a lot haha . And is it a Mixture of meat; chicken, beef, thripe, steak, fish etc? OR is it just one type of meat? (And just to be clear, you freeze it, and then unfreeze the portion(s) the dog will eat for the day the night before?)

It seems like a process, but the way you do it seems to make it much easier! I have read mixed things about if dogs need Carbs, or if they Need Vegetables - I guess it comes down to handler preference and how to dog reacts to eating them?

I know you don't measure the food per say, but is there some sort of guideline to follow initially? (Is the 3-4% of bodyweight a decent amount?)

As for your pup chewing/ gulping the bones (I'm not sure if this will only help with puppies), but I've seen people feed their puppies a Whole-Chicken, not cut up..... as this forces the puppy to use their teeth and chew the food (sort of like when they eat an animal in the wild.)

Leslie, cool thanks! I will check them out.
Dan Thi is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 05-02-2017, 08:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Schutzhund

My meat supplier is Baileys farm in Wisconsin and the price per pound is $.64. It comes in 10 pound tubes, 5 tubes to a box of 50 pounds. Yes, 500 pounds is allot but I have 2 full size freezers so I don't have to make the trip very often. It is a beef mixture. I sometimes will add chicken necks, turkey, salmon, and or sardines.
I have many friends who do not add fruit veg or carbs. It just seems to work very well for all of my dogs. It is not terribly time consuming once you get a rhythm going. I can get 4-6 weeks worth of fruit and veg prepared in 1.5 hours. It is totally a preference whether you use them or not.
I have had my complete diet analyzed at an independent company to be sure it meets all of my dogs nutritional requirements.
Patty Beck is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 05-02-2017, 03:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Other

Here's a cool link:

http://www.raw4dogs.com/calculate.htm

http://www.working-dog.eu/dogs-detai...merend-Thistle
Matt Vandart is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 05-02-2017, 10:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Leerburg has some excellent menus!

Please Register!
Old 05-02-2017, 11:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

Dan, much of that is up to the individual and the dogs. It's often said that balance over time is the most important consideration for those new to raw feeding.

The ratio of % to weight is a little higher than what I went by which was 2-3% but I prefer my dogs to be at what I consider to be a proper working weight, which tends to be leaner than most find ideal.

Have you looked into fashioning a plan after a prey model type?

Please Register!