Possible Seizures - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » Diet & Health » Possible Seizures

Diet & Health Anything pertaining to diet or other health and dental issues.

tcat left
Possible Seizures
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 11-02-2014, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: Basic OB
Possible Seizures

For the past few months my mal has shown what looks like possible seizures after bitework. He gets very distressed and legs get wobbly and arches his back shaking. Looks like he doesn't know where he is. First time it happened he slipped off of a bite pretty hard. I thought he hurt himself but now I think that could have been a seizure. Just had another one and it only lasts a minute or two. Had his hips and back legs xrayed but showed no injury. Anyone experience this?
Larry Krohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Please visit our Sponsor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog
Re: Possible Seizures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Krohn View Post
Anyone experience this?
Not after bite work, but yes.

Please Register!
Old 11-03-2014, 12:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

I had a terrier/Poodle mix that would start to walk around stiff legged like an old dog and looked like he was staring into nothing. This only lasted a few mins but he would be very nervous for the next few hours.

It was usually a stressful situation that brought this on.

Please Register!

Old 11-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Scott View Post
I had a terrier/Poodle mix that would start to walk around stiff legged like an old dog and looked like he was staring into nothing. This only lasted a few mins but he would be very nervous for the next few hours.

It was usually a stressful situation that brought this on.
That's exactly how my mal gets Bob

Please Register!
Old 11-03-2014, 01:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Schutzhund

Quote:
For the past few months my mal has shown what looks like possible seizures after bitework. He gets very distressed and legs get wobbly and arches his back shaking. Looks like he doesn't know where he is. First time it happened he slipped off of a bite pretty hard. I thought he hurt himself but now I think that could have been a seizure. Just had another one and it only lasts a minute or two. Had his hips and back legs xrayed but showed no injury. Anyone experience this?
Yes. I have a female GSD that will have seizures when she gets worked up. I had a long conversation with a vet about this. This vet told me that she used to work with military K9s and she said bite work caused seizures in some dogs. With research they found that the dogs temperature would drastically spike during bite work and then come right down after bite work. She siad that most dogs can handle it but not all. Some dogs would have seizures because of the extreme temperature spikes. My own female GSD never had seizures during bite work until after she became ill with a high temperature that caused bad seizures. After that she started having seizures during bitework and I had to retire her for her her own safety.
Rob Kringel is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 11-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Flyball

I had an old pet that would seize up when excited. She lived to 16-17 with seizures for the last 2-3 years. Old boxer is doing it a little but has thyroid issues now.

I have been around a couple with seizures.during and after bitework. I cant remember specifics but will see what i can remember or run down.

Please Register!
Old 11-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Undecided

Quote:
Except for the "looks like he doesn't know where he is" part, I had a dog that did this years ago. Turned out to be low potassium, he was having a "Charlie horse" in his back. Would arch his back, walk around funny, and shake from the pain of the muscle cramps. Started giving him some potassium (bananas) on a regular basis and the issue went away.

But he was always aware of where he was and what was going on around him. That mental check out sounds like a seizure of some sort.

Please Register!
Old 11-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadi Thingvall View Post
Except for the "looks like he doesn't know where he is" part, I had a dog that did this years ago. Turned out to be low potassium, he was having a "Charlie horse" in his back. Would arch his back, walk around funny, and shake from the pain of the muscle cramps. Started giving him some potassium (bananas) on a regular basis and the issue went away.

But he was always aware of where he was and what was going on around him. That mental check out sounds like a seizure of some sort.
Wow thanks Kadi. That is definitely a possibility. Sounds very similar. Ill try some bananas

Please Register!
Old 11-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Kringel View Post
Yes. I have a female GSD that will have seizures when she gets worked up. I had a long conversation with a vet about this. This vet told me that she used to work with military K9s and she said bite work caused seizures in some dogs. With research they found that the dogs temperature would drastically spike during bite work and then come right down after bite work. She siad that most dogs can handle it but not all. Some dogs would have seizures because of the extreme temperature spikes. My own female GSD never had seizures during bite work until after she became ill with a high temperature that caused bad seizures. After that she started having seizures during bitework and I had to retire her for her her own safety.
Thanks Rob, I will be looking into all of this

Please Register!
Old 03-16-2016, 09:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

It's been a long time since this post but after another incident it looks like it is Exertional Rhabdomyolysis

Please Register!