Dutch Shepherd health issues - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » Diet & Health » Dutch Shepherd health issues

Diet & Health Anything pertaining to diet or other health and dental issues.

tcat left
Dutch Shepherd health issues
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 03-18-2017, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: Undecided
Location: A desert in California not too far from the mountains.
Dutch Shepherd health issues

I have a friend who might get a Dutch pup tomorrow. He is about four months old and was brought to our club last weekend. He was tried out on the bite work and members were liking his confidence in chasing/carrying the rag.

The person who owns the pup says his pups lines are from U.S. Dutch Shepherds. Which he says are very few and far between. He says, they are separate from the "Dutchies in color only" that have more Malinois type bood that are more common. (I don't think he was really trying to be arrogant, but...). I don't know anything about Dutchies obviously and neather do our other club members. What does my friend need to know before purchasing? Are there any big health concerns with the breed?

It's a weird situation because this pup has been passed around. He was going to be used for breeding if he turned out at all well, but the breeder who had him dabbles in more than one breed and changed her plans. Now, she still wants some control because she wants some of the pups in a future litter he could sire culled. I'm not liking that. But he has now been sold back to the original guy (Not the culling lady) who may sell to my friend.

Advice on anything please. Especially health and lines. My friend won't take the pup without trying him out at home first. She is very dedicated to IPO, but new to the sport.
Gina Mezin is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Please visit our Sponsor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2017, 08:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog
Re: Dutch Shepherd health issues

Gina, I'll respond to this post and I remember I need to go back and respond to your other questions… maybe that was leading up to questions about this situation?

I don't personally know anything about any (presumably AKC) Dutch Shepherds. I am not familiar with any health issues or don't recall any known to those exclusively off AKC lines. My advice would be to try and get as much info that can be obtained on the parents, if they have been bred previously, research every dog you can find. Do the same with the siblings of the parents.

I'm often as interested, if not more, in the grandparents.

Would this pup come with a health guarantee/contract?

Please Register!
Old 03-18-2017, 09:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Nicole, thank you for reminding me about what you listed. I hope she can get a guarantee. She is only paying $600. I guess that is the price he has been while being passed around amongst friends. Glad you haven't heard of health problems that stand out. Take your time with my other questions. Thanks!

Please Register!

Old 03-18-2017, 09:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Gina, was I correct about how I thought I was reading what this pup is? AKC Dutch Shepherd? Have there been any health tests or titles obtained on the parents? I'm mostly curious just to know what the breeder has actually invested into this breeding endeavor.

Please Register!
Old 03-18-2017, 10:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

I believe he is an AKC Dutch Shepherd. I will find out tomorrow as much as I can. Thanks

Please Register!
Old 03-19-2017, 01:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Landshark

i guess things have changed. last i knew, the AKC didn't recognize the dutch shepherd as a breed (while FCI does).

if you knew the lines perhaps i could be of assistance. just saying "american dutch shepherd" means little.
Tim Martens is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 03-19-2017, 02:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

I'd trust your response better than my own. I couldn't relate to what else they might be talking about.

Please Register!
Old 03-19-2017, 07:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Landshark

I would be very wary about being involved in a pup purchase where the breeder retains rights to future litters, unless it was a breeder I truly respected and trusted. One who dabbles in a few breeds does not come under that category. Too messy, too much potential for future drama. Is she planning to breed him?

If she likes the pup, and he is a nice pup, then she can decide if $600 is what he is worth to her.

What does your club TD think of the pup? Is this a dog they want to work with? Do they think he has potential? What are her handling skills?

My Dutch is very different from how Nicole describes her dog. She is easy to live with, a bit handler sensitive, drivey, fun, and bites good. I've met a range of DS personalities - from spooks to serious dogs.
leslie cassian is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 03-19-2017, 08:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other

i think you should encourage your friend to join the WDF and not relay for her...it's pretty easy to join

we need new members especially if they are in a working club
rick smith is online now   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 03-19-2017, 06:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Other

I concur with Rick, I seem to do that more and more these days

http://www.working-dog.eu/dogs-detai...merend-Thistle
Matt Vandart is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!