ds with inefficient immune system - Page 3 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » Diet & Health » ds with inefficient immune system

Diet & Health Anything pertaining to diet or other health and dental issues.

tcat left
ds with inefficient immune system
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 05-07-2015, 12:01 AM   #21 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other
Re: ds with inefficient immune system

Ok, I understand

it will be interesting for me to hear how the herbal treatment goes.
that will be a new area for me.

i sorta got turned off to herbs when i couldn't get an answer from that manufacturer about how they determined the levels they used and how they had been tested on canines, etc.
- i had gotten the impression the company was applying herbs that were popular with people and implying they would have the same effect on a dog's metabolism

i'm open to new stuff

please keep us posted on what you use and how much, etc
rick smith is online now   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 12:47 AM   #22 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other
Re: ds with inefficient immune system

just like prescription meds, herbs too can have powerful effects in extremely small doses

example : astragulas
- it has been promoted by some holistic vets to boost immune systems for canines

if you look it up you will see uses like this :

"Astragalus is used for the common cold, upper respiratory infections, allergies, fibromyalgia, anemia, HIV/AIDS, and to strengthen and regulate the immune system. It is also used for chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), kidney disease, diabetes, and high blood pressureĒ.
- looks to be useful for a wide variety of problems !
- but there are always the warnings about the dosage levels
Ö..such as this : "There are several different species of astragalus. Some species contain a toxin called swainsonine and have been linked to livestock poisonings"

the problem i see with how effective herbs can be for canines is the lack of research and testing that has been done with canines. their metabolisms and digestive systems are not the same

not all supplements that are generally considered good for people work the same way with dogs. Vitamin C is a good example of that

iím not saying herbal treatments for canines are not good. just saying in many cases it is uncharted territory

in my reality i am lucky i have a very healthy house dog. i also have a back yard with a lot of different stuff growing and he will munch on stuff. it is intersting to observe. he seems to like lemon balm. is that because there is something lacking in his diet, and he needs it, and is intelligent enuff to choose that particular plant ? maybe, but i doubt it. it isnít found in his natural habitat. am i wrong for allowing him to consider my yard as a salad bar ? who knows ?
- he will also munch on mint type plants when we are in the mountains
- and i have other dogs here too and let them do the same

the topic interests me a lot
rick smith is online now   Reply With Quote

Please Register!