doghouse warmers/heaters. - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » Diet & Health » doghouse warmers/heaters.

Diet & Health Anything pertaining to diet or other health and dental issues.

tcat left
doghouse warmers/heaters.
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 11-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Protection Sports
doghouse warmers/heaters.

anyone ever use them..

Moved a couple months ago, dogs are outside now in outdoor kennels. The weather here is getting pretty cold now... I have had dogs outside during the winter in this area before without any real issues.it is getting down below 20 F at night here currently

I have some wood, insulated, dual chamber houses (arctic style), with straw in the sleeping chamber.

Someone was giving me shit about having the dogs outside in this climate, and was telling me I should get some dog house heaters.

I am low money guy, not gonna get anything really elaborate or too pricey, but did come across a few different styles of doghouse "warmers" and heaters...any use any of these various types?

I am pretty sure the dogs will destroy anything I put in there if they can, dont think pads would work most likely. THe houses are mounted on the outside of the kennels with only the front face of them inside the kennel, so cords and such wont be an issue.

I have seen a few other types, but it appears that they are just metal boxes with a 100 watt heating bulb/element in them..

anyone use anything to warm heat doghouses that would be applicable to mounting in a wooden house, on the cheaper side of things...

I personally am not real worried about it at all, but the nutty rescue-affiliated hippie tree hugger I am dating now seems to have trouble sleeping at night knowing the dogs are outside.

screw it, thread is open to any type of heating system to share about, even if it costs 1000$ lol....for the people with money

Please Register!
Please visit our Sponsor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

Training: Search & Rescue
Re: doghouse warmers/heaters.

knew one guy who bought some of the heaters called "milkhouse heaters" and used them. I think he liked them because they can turn off and on to a thermostat. Other than that most just insulate the house, make sure it's small enough the dog can heat it with their body heat, put down straw or some other insulating nesting medium, and make sure the wind can get in there. Some increase the food to make up for the increase metabolic rate of having to produce more body heat.
Sarah Platts is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 11-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Search & Rescue

I have this one mounted in the inside of my plywood dog house:

http://www.gundogsupply.com/hound-he...e-furnace.html

It is sturdy, reliable (going on 4 yrs now) and my dog hasn't shown any interest in messing with it at all.

Has a thermostat, but I don't usually even keep it plugged or think about it in unless it is below 10 F, especially once the dog is acclimatized for winter.

The dog I am referring to is a short coated mal that sleeps outside. The house is a partially insulated plywood, straw filled house that is too big for the dog's size.
Jennifer Coulter is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 11-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

Training: Other

i have 3 mals. They all live outside. They stay in a wood dog house with straw. It gets down to -30-40 degrees Celsius. They are still alive even after a few winters here. They have hair and they stay warm enough. I had a dobe and he couldnt handle the cold or wind. They are pretty sh!t when it comes to weather.
Daniel Lybbert is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 11-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

Training: Personal Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joby Becker View Post
anyone ever use them..

Moved a couple months ago, dogs are outside now in outdoor kennels. The weather here is getting pretty cold now... I have had dogs outside during the winter in this area before without any real issues.it is getting down below 20 F at night here currently

I have some wood, insulated, dual chamber houses (arctic style), with straw in the sleeping chamber.

Someone was giving me shit about having the dogs outside in this climate, and was telling me I should get some dog house heaters.

I am low money guy, not gonna get anything really elaborate or too pricey, but did come across a few different styles of doghouse "warmers" and heaters...any use any of these various types?

I am pretty sure the dogs will destroy anything I put in there if they can, dont think pads would work most likely. THe houses are mounted on the outside of the kennels with only the front face of them inside the kennel, so cords and such wont be an issue.

I have seen a few other types, but it appears that they are just metal boxes with a 100 watt heating bulb/element in them..

anyone use anything to warm heat doghouses that would be applicable to mounting in a wooden house, on the cheaper side of things...

I personally am not real worried about it at all, but the nutty rescue-affiliated hippie tree hugger I am dating now seems to have trouble sleeping at night knowing the dogs are outside.

screw it, thread is open to any type of heating system to share about, even if it costs 1000$ lol....for the people with money
I don't know about a heater unless it was a older dog...I talked to a guy back east who kept hunting dogs outside in kennels and he would feed them at midnight when it was cold. If they didn't come out of the dog house to eat he knew something was wrong.
Ben Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 11-24-2013, 11:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

I know a Presa breeder in Ill that has used the Hound heaters for a number of yrs and really likes them.
I'm seriously considering getting one for my older GSD. At almost ten he's begun to show arthritis. Their dog houses are double walled, full of straw and in the garage but I think a bit of warmth will do his old bones some good.

Please Register!
Old 11-24-2013, 11:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: KNPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joby Becker View Post
anyone ever use them..

I have a frost protection in my kennels but I have to admit I have only ever used it when temps went to -20 Celcius. As long as the dog is out of the wind, dry and from the cold earth he is fine just the way he is. They get straw to sleep in and his inside kennel is completely isolated. -20 outside is -7/-8 inside and same goes for summer, +30 is + 21/22 inside. I hardly use the frost protection since every time I used it, with different dogs, they would go and lay in the outside kennel. Figured it annoyed them and shut it down.

Having said that, a friend of mine has an isolated kennel with a heating pad area in it. The dogs sleeping quarters is devided in 2 equal shut of spaces where one has a heating pad in the floor (raised floor, heating pad shoved inside it) and one area is unheated. The dog can pick where to lay and which makes him more comfortable. Might be an idea for you?

Please Register!
Old 11-25-2013, 01:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: Military K9

The company Trex, makers of artificial deck material, replaced an entire deck I built and I got to keep the tear off. I built dog houses out of the 5/4 decking with 2x4 frames and insulated the void with 1-1/2" blue board. The entrance wrapped around to block wind.

Even in the depths of northern Ohio winter, -10 to -20 at night, the dogs were fine with straw bedding and no artificial heat source. It was always comparatively toasty inside.

None of the dogs were short hair however. 2 labs, a saint and a samoyed.

David Winners
David Winners is online now   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 11-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

If you can figure out a way to stabilize this set up? You're not going to get any cheaper way to heat anything.

http://www.realfarmacy.com/how-to-he...5-cents-a-day/
Thomas Barriano is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 11-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Schutzhund

Has anyone tried this - http://www.sweeterheater.com/ ? Or have any thoughts about how it might compare to the Hound heater?
Kathleen Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!