Allergic reaction to... Snow? - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » Diet & Health » Allergic reaction to... Snow?

Diet & Health Anything pertaining to diet or other health and dental issues.

tcat left
Allergic reaction to... Snow?
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 01-07-2017, 12:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: Search & Rescue
Allergic reaction to... Snow?

Last night my 2.5yr old GSD girl went to the restroom outside in about 18" of snow and 0F..she was gone about 8 minutes, about 3 minutes longer than usual... She came back and wanted loving as usual, she jumped off the bed a few minutes later and began rubbing her face on the rug.. Came back to see me looking like she went 10 round with Mike Tyson (but still had her ears)! She was of course itchy... Benadryl "d her up and the next morning she was still swollen.. Another dose and almost immediately her swelling began to abate... She was almost normal a couple hours later.. I meant to give her another dose before I began helping with the SAR class, but kept checking on her and her "brother 'in the car... About an hour ago she had hives again and the swelling was starting back up... More benadryl...

She is good with appetite, and bowels and bladder work normal.. Other than benadryl droopies when on it her energy level seems normal... Curious what could have caused this as obviously not a wasp/bee/hornet sting... Maybe a spider bite?? An LEO I work with thought maybe she ate deer scat and had a reaction, but I've never had or seen that happen... I am a bit flummoxed....
Misty Wegner is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Please visit our Sponsor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2017, 01:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Re: Allergic reaction to... Snow?

Doubtful if there will be spiders in the snow.

The reaction to most insects are "normally" just a red spot with maybe a bit of swelling and redness.

The reaction to just on the face and head sounds like (to me) as some sort of contact irritation but I'm not a vet.

Does she stay close when she is out during this time?

Does she have access to stored chemicals or anything that could be an irritant?

I'm not much of a help because I know you've probably gone through all these questions yourself.

Please Register!
Old 01-07-2017, 01:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

She is with me pretty much 24/7..she is one of my SAR dogs... I thought about maybe a reaction to the deoderizer I used earlier afternoon, but she had zero reaction until that late evening... And today I've been gone all day and she with me and she started to have hives again... Sooo, huh.. But thanks for the thoughts and suggestions

Please Register!

Old 01-07-2017, 06:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Military K9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Wegner View Post
Last night my 2.5yr old GSD girl went to the restroom outside in about 18" of snow and 0F..she was gone about 8 minutes, about 3 minutes longer than usual... She came back and wanted loving as usual, she jumped off the bed a few minutes later and began rubbing her face on the rug.. Came back to see me looking like she went 10 round with Mike Tyson (but still had her ears)! She was of course itchy... Benadryl "d her up and the next morning she was still swollen.. Another dose and almost immediately her swelling began to abate... She was almost normal a couple hours later.. I meant to give her another dose before I began helping with the SAR class, but kept checking on her and her "brother 'in the car... About an hour ago she had hives again and the swelling was starting back up... More benadryl...

She is good with appetite, and bowels and bladder work normal.. Other than benadryl droopies when on it her energy level seems normal... Curious what could have caused this as obviously not a wasp/bee/hornet sting... Maybe a spider bite?? An LEO I work with thought maybe she ate deer scat and had a reaction, but I've never had or seen that happen... I am a bit flummoxed....
Did you check her if maybe somthing allergenic cought at her teeth /gums?
I Whould also check the upper mouth and nose for clues with a flashlight.
If nothing there i whould go to the vet.
sefi sahar is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 01-07-2017, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Yes I did check her mouth, but thanks for that thought, it could have easily been missed...

She is looking normal this morning but is still a bit itchy (appreciate eye rubs more than normal)

Please Register!
Old 01-07-2017, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

Acid snow ? Ice melt? Exposure? Something in the carpet?

I've seen dogs do that after quilling, baths, etc. Who knows, maybe she had her head in the snow looking for a mouse or something else and got a bit of over exposure?

Please Register!
Old 01-07-2017, 06:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Landshark

I would give her a bath paying special attention to the head, neck, sides, and feet. Not a down to the skin bath but one that cleans the top layer of hair. I'm thinking she rubbed - messed with - or otherwise got into something she wasn't suppose to have. If so, then with the irritation on her face and such, it keeps bothering her and keeps reoccurring.
Sarah Platts is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 01-07-2017, 09:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

She has been fine since last night's dose, although I dosed a half dose this morning to be sure... All swelling and hives are gone and the itching has dramatically reduced... We don't have anything out on our property that she could have gotten into... And the reoccurring last night was her in my car and brothers house... And it was just the hives... If it had continued I would have bathed her and called the vet... I appreciate everyone's thoughts suggestions and advice.. Thank you!

Please Register!
Old 01-08-2017, 12:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Just a wild long shot

You say that you used a deodorant but it didn't happen till later after the dog was in the snow.

Was the deodorant in a spray form?

"IF" the spray came in contact with the hair on the dog's face and muzzle THEN got wet from the snow and moved to the skin....possibly???

Just a thought.

Glad to know she's doing better!

Please Register!
Old 01-08-2017, 01:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other

only thing that was easy to answer was the title
beyond that i don't think i've ever read of an allergy diagnosed over the internet

beyond the 'have you checked "xxx", "yyyy", or zzz ???', it's kind of pointless.
- actually it's just as hard for a vet to properly diagnose the cause for an allergy in the real world and they are face to face with the dog

whether we think a dog is having an allergic reaction to food or the environment, all we usually do is treat the symptoms until the reaction resolves

or we spend a lot of time, (and often money) systematically and scientifically starting the process of "ruling out" what doesn't appear to be the cause until either we, or the vet, runs out of imagination

i had a friend who spent TWO AND A HALF YEARS doing this with their whippet.....made me sad to watch the process from the sidelines
....eventually gave up and attributed it to behavioral problems and a weak immune system caused by .... genetics
rick smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!