12 week old Mal nervousness stomach - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » Diet & Health » 12 week old Mal nervousness stomach

Diet & Health Anything pertaining to diet or other health and dental issues.

tcat left
12 week old Mal nervousness stomach
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 02-02-2016, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Service Dog
12 week old Mal nervousness stomach

My Mal pup Zelda gets the worst mucusy diarrhea when she's stressed.

She also gets stressed for everything...
I haven't started crating her yet because of it. I have a section of the house blocked off so she can have a potty area and a play area while we're out and she's very good about only using the bathroom in her potty area, but when we're home and I take her outside she has a normal solid poop. But when I come home no matter how long I've been gone, her poop has turned into a watery mess.

I am feeding her Merrick back country for puppies. She gets 2 cups a day, she was at 3, but the vet thinks over eating might be causing it. But there doesn't seem to be a change.

She's also had explosive diarrhea every time I've taken her to puppy class. I guess the other dogs make her nervousness too.

Any tips or pointers? I've never house trained a dog before, we've always rescued seniors, so I don't know if this is just a normal stage.

Thank you.
Danielle A Scott is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Please visit our Sponsor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2016, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: PSA
Re: 12 week old Mal nervousness stomach

Yike, sounds like a bad nerve Mal, if you are sure the diarrhea comes from stress, then you have to socialize the heck out of her to minimize the stress because that is the root of your problem.

Please Register!
Old 02-02-2016, 09:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

We'll work on socializing. Once she's had her full vaccines, I'll be getting her into doggie daycare a few days a week.

It's funny because around our 8yo beagle she's the queen of the castle. She barks he gets out of bed so she can climb in (she has her own bed that's much cozier I think... But no... She has to have his.) she is pretty much his boss now and she's only been here 5 weeks.

But take her around other puppies and she just cannot relax. It'd be cute if it weren't for the loose stomach.

Please Register!
Old 02-02-2016, 10:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

Training: Other

What do you intend to train her for? What activities?
Meg O'Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 02-02-2016, 11:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

Plain canned pumpkin might help keep things a bit more stable as you work through her issues. Most pups/dogs seem to like the taste and it won't hurt her to give her a heaping table spoon once or twice a day. Also, you might already be aware but you can expect that her stools may become infirm after being vaccinated and also throughout the teething phase.

I agree with Khoi that it does sound like she's exhibiting nerve issues. Aside from being off around other puppies and when you leave what other triggers does she appear to have?

I've had pretty good luck house training my past several pups in under a week. The Dutch arrived with a call button, LOL. It was kind of cute because she started her stay doing that. Well, first she bit me with nasty intent over a pig ear, then later she barked when she had to go out. I thought, damn this is pretty cool. And it was, now when she's out of the kennel she rings a bell that I have hanging off the door when she wants to go outside.

Just a side note, there might be a method to my madness but I don't permit my puppies to dominate or overrule the position of existing dogs in the household. Could be just my own standard without necessity but I think my unwillingness to budge on that has allowed me to have multiples of same or opposite sex in the household without issues particularly once the younger one matures.

Please Register!
Old 02-02-2016, 11:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

As soon as we get past basic obedience and recall training, we'll be joining a Schutzhund club.

Long term, I'd like for her to be a PTSD dog. I would like her to help my anxiety with going places alone, and for her to be able to get help in an emergency.

I guess first we'll have to get past her anxiety though. Poor thing.

Please Register!
Old 02-02-2016, 11:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

Interestingly, Shelle posted something about her own nervousness feeding into that of her own dogs. Think about that in the context of how you are feeling yourself when you expose her to something new. If you're uneasy this is likely transmitting to the pup. There's some thought that mental/emotional energy is transmitted like an electrical frequency that can be picked up on by others, such as your pup.

Last edited by Nicole Stark; 02-02-2016 at 11:26 PM..
Nicole Stark is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 02-02-2016, 11:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other

- maybe the puppy classes are not a good idea ? what do you do there ?
- might be worse in doggy day care if left alone with others
- how much time is the pup left alone ?
- what is your feeding schedule ? ("x"cups a day is insufficient info)
- what tests has you vet done ?
- how much time do you spend one on one in non stressful environments ?
- you haven't mentioned how you play with the pup or what it likes to do or not do
- poop hardeners might help if it is a physical problem but prob not very effective if it is a mental problem
- 'socializing the heck out of it' can mean many things; some might be good; some might make it worse. what does it mean to you and what do you do regarding socializing ?

adding more dots might make it easier for others to connect them
rick smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 02-02-2016, 11:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

One of my GSDs used to have a nervous stomach and I got the same advice to make the meals small.

Instead of just cutting back I started feeding two meals a day.

It worked!

The pumpkin can also be a huge help.

Please Register!
Old 02-02-2016, 11:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

She eats 3/4 cup at 4 am, so that she has time to go before I have to leave the house at 7. I get home at noon some days and 1600 on others. I give her another 3/4 cup of food at 1600. She gets a half cup at 1900 and I take her up to bed at around 2200.

I believe it's nerves related because any big change seems to cause an accident. For example, I had turned an arm chair around on my bed so it was like a crib, and that's where she slept after a failed attempt at getting her to sleep in the crate. She slept well there being near me, but she wasn't in my bed which I read could cause boundary issues later on.

After about 2 weeks and a growth spurt she was able to climb into bed, so I turned the chair around onto the wall about 2 feet away. She whined but didn't cry for about an hour and then seemed to fall asleep. She woke me up about an hour later crying and before I could get her to take her potty, she messed all over. I think she felt bad about it because as I was carrying her down to potty she kept licking my face and hands. (Maybe I'm just humanizing her though).

I put the chair back close to my bed and she was fine the rest of the night, and then over a week I moved the chair little by little and she hasn't had another accident.

Also, when I introduced her to stairs, she would climb a few and have diarrhea, climb a few and have diarrhea, even if it'd been hours since she ate and she'd had a solid stool after. Now she's ok with them without accidents.

During puppy class, it's just basic obedience, it's about 15 other pups and families in a large room and they have some leash free socialization. She does well for that part, but being on leash in that big room seems to make her nervous. I don't want to cut it because without it she won't meet other dogs except my old man beagle, and I don't think that will help her long term either.

The vet has tested her stool, and she recommended fiber one cereal, but I'm admittedly a little wary of feeding her grains even if it is half a cup.

Not sure if I've answered everything, I'm on mobile and haven't figured out how to quote.

Please Register!