Saved by your PPD - Page 2 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » Work Specific Discussion » Personal Protection Dogs » Saved by your PPD

Personal Protection Dogs Questions and discussion specifically relating to dogs trained for \"Real World\" personal protection.

tcat left
Saved by your PPD
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 08-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: Schutzhund
Re: Saved by your PPD

Yes sir Mr Don it was a GSD showline GSD at that
Thomas Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2011, 06:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Competition OB

pretty amazing story thomas your a lucky man.Not that it matters much cause your dog did what it had to but how did your dog react did he just go straight in and bite hard or was he bit unsure of himself?
I only ask as that is how i see untrained dogs act most of the time.
brad robert is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 08-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
Ate the Tug

Training: Police K9

Great post!!

I do believe that without training SOME dogs will naturally protect their owners and bite but this is fairly rare from what I have seen here in South Africa.

We once had a case where a guy and his wife were attacked while out on a walk with his 2 fully mature rottweilers, they stood by and watched as he was getting stabbed and his wife hacked with a panga, twice in the arm. they literally didnt even bark. luckily the couple only needed a few stitches and only their wallets and cellphones were stolen but it could have been worse. I would imagine that perhaps had the dogs reacted differently this could have been a different situation.

I have on numerous cases been asked to 'test' dogs as guard dogs by simulating a home invasion while the owner is inside his bedroom and the dog roaming free in the house. I must have done about 15 of these for various people with various breeds, ranging from bull terriers, boerboels, GSD, dobermans, rottweilers and other dogs. Out of about the 15 cases, I can mention 4 where the dog bit me, one GSD, 2 rotts and one bullterrier. all the others i chased the bark dog away and walk straight into the owners room.

I should mention these sort of tests were made to be as realistic as possible. firstly I would phone the owner and tell him I would be entering his house between 23:00 and 00:00 he was to leave one perimeter door unlocked but closed with his dog inside. i would park a few houses down, never having been to his house before and his dog being completely unknown to me and jump his wall, search for the unlocked door, make a fair bit of noise upon entering and proceed to find the bedroom. I would usually wear padded clothing and 2 hidden sleeve and a balaclava. AGain this is just my experience with untrained dogs.

Training the right dog for PPD is a little more reliable when the situation arises but as I have said before, it doesnt mean an untrained dog wont protect you its just that a properly trained one is more likely too.

I would appreciate other peoples comments on this
Jehane Michael Le Grange is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!

Old 08-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad robert View Post
pretty amazing story thomas your a lucky man.Not that it matters much cause your dog did what it had to but how did your dog react did he just go straight in and bite hard or was he bit unsure of himself?
I only ask as that is how i see untrained dogs act most of the time.
I'm not real sure. My back was to the backdoor when he come thru but he knocked me down and when I got to where I could see what was happening he had him under his armpit and was dragging him in a way.

Please Register!
Old 08-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Dragging him away not in a way. I can't edit the post for some reason.

Please Register!
Old 08-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jones View Post
I'm not real sure. My back was to the backdoor when he come thru but he knocked me down and when I got to where I could see what was happening he had him under his armpit and was dragging him in a way.

Thats gotta hurt!!

Is your dog still with you?
Tiago Fontes is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 08-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Yea he's the black and tan on my page

Please Register!
Old 08-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Undecided

I have zero experience with personal protection dogs/training. I do have another story about an untrained dog protecting me when the need arose though. He was a boxer... a farm dog and family pet that I took with me when I moved away from home. He had never even looked at a human funny, let alone bit or acted aggressively toward one.

Anyway.. I was 18 at the time and this guy I had recently broken up with had come over drunk and angry late one night. Why I let him in I'm not sure. I guess the dog knew something wasn't right with this guy because he was barking even after I let him in. In the past the dog had always seemed to like this guy. So I put the dog in the kitchen and gated him in there. The guy and I got into a fight of course, and he wouldn't leave. I threatened to call the cops.. he took my phone and smashed it. I tried to get to the house phone, and that's when the fight escalated and he got physical. He had me pinned down on the stairs and starting punching me.. choking me.. it was insane. I remember thinking "I can't breathe.. this guy is going to kill me.. it's all over." Next thing I know he lets go of me and starts screaming. The dog busted down the gate and there he was.. he had the guy by the back of the leg. I was able to run up the stairs and call the cops at that point. I was on the phone with the 911 dispatch when this guy started yelling for me to help him. I told the dispatch woman that my dog was attacking this guy, and I was going to go see if I could stop him. She said something like, "stay put and lock the bedroom door," but I thought if the dog was still attacking him when the cops got there that they might shoot him or something. I didn't really care what was happening to the guy or what might happen to me.. just worried about the dog. My memory of this gets kind of fuzzy at this point, but I grabbed this heavy statue in case I needed to defend myself with it, ran downstairs and found the guy in the fetal position under the kitchen table, trying to cover his face and trying to kick the dog. There was blood everywhere. I was in shock.. I stood there and just watched for what seemed like forever. I somehow got the dog off of him which, from what I remember, wasn't easy.. the dog was going mad. I remember I had to pick the dog up and carry him all the way into the back yard. I ran to the front of the house to wait for the cops.

The dog put this guy in the hospital.. they took him away in an ambulance. His mother called me all upset the next day and told me he had a broken finger and they had to stitch up numerous bite wounds on his hands, arms and legs. The guy apparently had a warrant at that time for another assault charge so he was going to do some time, and I felt he had gotten what was coming to him, plus I was young and dumb, so I didn't press charges. I just wanted to be done with it all.. and you bet that guy never messed with me again.

As for the dog.. he was fine aside from some bruising/swelling where he was kicked around his ribs. He was back to his normal, goofy self right away and I never saw him snap like that ever again. I let him sleep in my room from that point on until he passed away. I've always said I possibly owe my life to that boxer.. certainly one dog I'll never forget.
Nicole Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 08-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ate the Tug

Training: Police K9

Really fantastic story!!! Thats the sort of stories I had hoped for! Thank you sooooo much for taking time to post it
Jehane Michael Le Grange is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 08-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

Training: Personal Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole Fisher View Post
In the past the dog had always seemed to like this guy.
I'm delighted to hear that your dog responded in the way that it did. It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

On another note and directed and no one in particular, your dog is YOUR dog and should NOT be a part of your social circle. After all, often times it's an acquaintance, friend or even a family member that attack. Your dog should NOT have a relationship with anyone except those that you absolutely trust with your life. For me that includes my wife, son, my parents and my nephew. That's it.

I also do NOT believe in putting up gates or kenneling my dog when someone is over to visit. Train your dog, establish control over your dog and teach it a "place" command when someone comes over. I'm not saying one should NEVER put their dog away, but it should be the exception and NOT the rule.

Please Register!