Questions on personal protection w/ rottweiler - Page 3 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » Work Specific Discussion » Personal Protection Dogs » Questions on personal protection w/ rottweiler

Personal Protection Dogs Questions and discussion specifically relating to dogs trained for \"Real World\" personal protection.

tcat left
Questions on personal protection w/ rottweiler
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 02-12-2015, 11:28 PM   #21 (permalink)
Ate the Tug

Training: Other
Re: Questions on personal protection w/ rottweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Saunders View Post
The sport work only hurts if the decoy discourages things that are good for a ppd. If he teaches him good how to bite, good targeting
What's 'good for a PPD' will be determined by the owner/handler the dog is protecting, and the trainer conducting the sessions.

Good bites, bad bites, good targeting ,bad targeting.......are terms that on a sport field that can/are used to calculate a score.

Biting.......is the very last resort, action, and shortest engagement time that will most likely ever take place in a situation off of the sport field. Real world PPD involves a lifetime of 99.9% protecting-and then there is that very small sliver of a chance remaining of having to actually bite.
Travis Ragin is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2015, 08:02 AM   #22 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Competition OB
And yes Iam looking for PPD in my 15 month old Rottweiler not that much sport just trying to increase his prey drive trying to get him to keep hitting decoy
mark altman is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 02-20-2015, 08:45 AM   #23 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Question Re: Questions on personal protection w/ rottweiler

My Rottweiler is not responding.to the decoy fast enough his pray drive seems low he has a good bite on the sleeve and a hell of a tug still trying to build his bark up also any suggestion.or maybe he is still young have been told a lot of Rottweilers don't start to about two plus years . Can any one help with this
and if I did not say he is 15 months and intact:

Please Register!

Old 02-20-2015, 09:56 AM   #24 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Halie
how did the club work go ?
are you still on your thread ?
rick smith is online now   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 02-20-2015, 12:03 PM   #25 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark altman View Post
My Rottweiler is not responding.to the decoy fast enough his pray drive seems low he has a good bite on the sleeve and a hell of a tug still trying to build his bark up also any suggestion.or maybe he is still young have been told a lot of Rottweilers don't start to about two plus years . Can any one help with this
and if I did not say he is 15 months and intact:

Please Register!
Old 02-20-2015, 02:31 PM   #26 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: PSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick smith View Post
Halie
how did the club work go ?
are you still on your thread ?
Totally forgot that I said I would post an update. lol sorry.
He did pretty well. They said they were pretty impressed with him. But they want me to just do bitework there for a few weeks, to get him focused in that drive.
The past couple weeks he has really matured, and starting to get more intense, bold and focused on the ball and tug.
Another thing I noticed, he's definitely starting to get more 'alert'. Watching people around me a lot, barking a little when people come in the house (before he figures out it's family). And while at work, a coworker came in wearing a hood. He gave a few low woofs, and when she walked past him he jumped off the cot he was on and trotted after her, running into her and staring her down until she talked and he recognized her.
I'm assuming thats a good thing right? Confidence to approach things he's unsure about?
I know it'll have to be kept in check though.
halie lenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 02-20-2015, 03:07 PM   #27 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Halie

glad to hear there is progress

and be glad if you are training a PPD that you don't follow the japanese custom for entering a house.
- it is perfectly acceptable for someone to open your front door if it is unlocked and announce their presence. ours is rarely locked

since our house is also a business, when we first got my current house dog, suffice it to say ... it was a "problem" and a challenge //lol//
- especially since we have young kids coming here for ballet lessons //lol//

took about a year before i trusted him 100% inside the house. i could write a book on this subject alone.....hahaha
- plus i often board dogs outside, and "outside" is very close to our front door //lol//

on the plus side ... the training opportunities are never ending !!

Please Register!
Old 02-20-2015, 03:42 PM   #28 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: PSA

One more reason I'll never move to Japan... LOL
I want a protection dog for a reason. My doors are always locked, my gun always at my side, and so are my dogs. Can't be too careful in this world anymore. Especially being a woman. But thats another topic of discussion..
Anyway, dog is making me happy. And I think he'll make a very good deterent and commited dog. Only time will tell. I'll start another thread when I have more questions
halie lenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 02-20-2015, 03:43 PM   #29 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

i have seen the decoys work in the past and i think he seems to no when to back away not to break the dogs confidants level just trying to bring more out off him right now and we are kinda stuck outside right now and the weather is not the best we had a inside building put something happened with the owner they said we will have new building like next month thanks for the advice

Please Register!
Old 02-20-2015, 04:20 PM   #30 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

since you brought it up
"My doors are always locked, my gun always at my side, and so are my dogs. Can't be too careful in this world anymore. Especially being a woman. But thats another topic of discussion.."

actually, those sounded like reasons why you should move here //lol//

and there's more
- you could also save money by not needing theft insurance for your car
- if you had kids they could play safely and unattended in any park after school
- if you were young and single and worked nights, you could safely walk home from work thru those same dark parks
- if you took a bus and left your purse on it you'd have a very good chance of picking it up the next day

- last but not least ... if your PPD bit someone in your house who did not have your permission to be there, you would have ZERO risk of being arrested or sued //lol//

i do miss my guns....u can only use shotguns for hunting over here
but with my navy background i tend to be more security conscious than the average resident //lol//
...my wife reminds me of that all the time

good luck with your training ... train hard and train safe .... and i hope you never need it to do its job

Please Register!