Questions on personal protection w/ rottweiler - Page 2 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » Work Specific Discussion » Personal Protection Dogs » Questions on personal protection w/ rottweiler

Personal Protection Dogs Questions and discussion specifically relating to dogs trained for \"Real World\" personal protection.

tcat left
Questions on personal protection w/ rottweiler
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 01-24-2015, 05:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other
is asking

if i'm reading this thread correctly, it seems like you want to be sure sport bite work will not conflict with your goals of personal protection

yes or no ??

i have strong feelings on this based on dogs that were started in bite work at a club that did NOT have what it takes to do the job of personal protection in a real world family environment. the dogs performed in sport but sucked as a PPD

primarily because the dog was not clear head enough and balanced enough to know the difference of when to be aggressive in a family/personal environment

i think it takes a MUCH more balanced dog to be a serious personal protection dog than it does to perform on a trial field

i do not see how Paul's advice deals with this question even tho i agree the techniques he outlines are just fine for laying a foundation for bite work

won't go further with this if it is considered off topic; just want to try and keep the PP and sport bite work tied together if that is what your Q

i think it would help if people who have a PPD who also do sport work, weighed in with their viewpoints to fully answer your question

you can get an eval for sport bite work, but i don't feel that the eval will also be valid for PPD and that the two venues do not automatically cross over
- and i know there will be many here who do not agree with that

ok....so i mentioned a dog who will bark on command ...
- it was only a partial joke
but just how much "personal protection" do you want your Rottie to provide you and your family ??

iow, are you doing sport because you want to get compete and get titles, or are you doing sport to teach your dog to be a PPD ?
what's the mix ?

if this is not relevant ..... back to teaching bite work
rick smith is online now   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2015, 11:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Re: Questions on personal protection w/ rottweiler

I think many 6 month old Rott pups are probably just clueless babies that need maturity.

You say low prey. Have you tried working the pup with a flirt pole?

That can often trigger prey that you don't initially see.

Please Register!
Old 01-25-2015, 10:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Search & Rescue

I'm going to echo Bob. I have a hunting breed, this pup didn't start showing any prey drive until he was over a year old. Twelve months of no issues with the farm stock and he shot that all to heck when over the matter of a couple of days took out both a chicken and a cat. I always considered rotties to be slow bloomers so it would not surprise me to see him come out when he gets closer to 1 year of age.
Sarah Platts is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!

Old 01-25-2015, 06:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: PSA
Wow. Thank you everyone for such great and thorough advice. It's all exactly what I was looking for.
1)the obedience I've done so far has been ellis-style, and i didn't think it would hurt his drive (per paul). I knew if I wanted a biting dog, his OB better be top notch. And not so interested in schh sport. So the tracking hasn't been on my list. Though I thank you so much for all the outline of training. I wish we could have done more bite work before now, but no indoor facility through winter, and a slow maturing dog anyway
2) My sport (psa or mondio) goals aren't to go to the top. Not with this dog at least. And him being my 1st foray into sport and bite training. So GILLIAN your quote about getting a dog best suited for yourself was right on
halie lenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 01-25-2015, 07:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

One thing in particular to look for....is to see if the decoy begins to work your dog in the same exact manner as the dogs being trained for Mondio. If that occurs, you will not be getting the exact services you are exactly paying for(assuming).

Ask them to conduct some training in the fashion that you will anticipate employing your dog during his/your family lifetime. In other words, far away from the club and club field. Build the foundation where the building will stand.[/QUOTE]

This was the exact answer I was looking for. Thank you!

Rick and Bob: ' patience, young grasshopper' is what you're saying? Haha. I'm interested in sport for the titles, and something fun to do with him and prove I can. And that's what the clubs close enough to me do. No regular breed clubs or pp clubs. I'm MORE interested in the training of a dog that will bite for real. Not just a 'prey/sport' dog. I know everyone has their own version of what that means...

Please Register!
Old 01-25-2015, 07:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Rick: "if i'm reading this thread correctly, it seems like you want to be sure sport bite work will not conflict with your goals of personal protection

yes or no ??"

Yes! Exactly
and on the matter of 'how much protection' a dog that won't fold under pressure. And not just a barking deterrent. The way I see it, a person who is brave enough to try to get a barking rottweiler to back down, is posing a very real threat. And needs to be bitten. And the dog will also provide enough time to get my gun. (I have met men crazy enough to try to get through a barking dog when agitated enough. And that's where the true threat is)

Last edited by halie lenk; 01-25-2015 at 07:13 PM..

Please Register!
Old 01-25-2015, 11:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by halie lenk View Post
Rick: "if i'm reading this thread correctly, it seems like you want to be sure sport bite work will not conflict with your goals of personal protection

yes or no ??"

Yes! Exactly
and on the matter of 'how much protection' a dog that won't fold under pressure. And not just a barking deterrent. The way I see it, a person who is brave enough to try to get a barking rottweiler to back down, is posing a very real threat. And needs to be bitten. And the dog will also provide enough time to get my gun. (I have met men crazy enough to try to get through a barking dog when agitated enough. And that's where the true threat is)

Serious answer

If a person is serious about backing down a barking Rottweiler and they know what they are doing then chances are they will do just that.

For those who legitimately need a PPD my advice is always to get a CCW (conceal carry).

Look at the dog as being a method to slow down the dog enough for you to get your gun.

Please Register!
Old 01-27-2015, 02:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Scott View Post
Serious answer

If a person is serious about backing down a barking Rottweiler and they know what they are doing then chances are they will do just that.

For those who legitimately need a PPD my advice is always to get a CCW (conceal carry).

Look at the dog as being a method to slow down the dog enough for you to get your gun.
Bob I could have swore I had that typed in my answer. Must have got deleted when I edited it. For that real of a threat, he will give me time to get the .380 I have on me.

Please Register!
Old 02-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Competition OB
Question Re: Questions on personal protection w/ rottweiler

I have a 15 month old intact Rottweiler that has done very good in obedience training .But his drive seems low and trying to get him into bite work now .I was told to hold off on bite work to he was about 15 months we can get his drive up with a little agitating he is not a big barker but then. Again I have owned Rottweilers before when the kids where young and they are not big barkers.Want to get his pray drive up.if anyone could help sure would appreciate it.
Thanks mark
mark altman is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 02-12-2015, 07:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

Training: French Ring

I will say this . The sport work only hurts if the decoy discourages things that are good for a ppd. If he teaches him good how to bite, good targeting and how to be confident you should be o.k. .
Timothy Saunders is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!