Personal Protection Trainer - Page 2 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » Work Specific Discussion » Personal Protection Dogs » Personal Protection Trainer

Personal Protection Dogs Questions and discussion specifically relating to dogs trained for \"Real World\" personal protection.

tcat left
Personal Protection Trainer
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 12-24-2016, 07:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Schutzhund
Re: Personal Protection Trainer

More like alert from strange people walking the woods after dark.
Ewa Kozlowski is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2016, 07:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Strange people in the woods.

Please Register!
Old 12-24-2016, 11:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other

you and your dog walking in the woods at night might be just as strange to the strange people too....mutual respect and paranoia goes both ways

what's your dog alert mean to you ?
all it means to me is to be aware.....no more no less; and most dogs are more alert than their handler
rick smith is online now   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 12-26-2016, 01:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

you haven’t answered my other Q’s so i don’t expect this last one to be answered either, but i’ll continue my train of thought since there’s always a slim chance other new members might be reading this thread

you wrote : "After reading you answers I would like a dog that will alert me to any danger and behave like he will bite. “
…then later you gave a more specific example of 'walking in the woods at night'….

well, if I’M walking in those same woods, I wouldn’t know you and your dog, and that would make me a total stranger too.
but … when we came across each other, if your dog “alerted” and acted like it was gonna bite me, that would make YOU an IRRESPONSIBLE dog owner
- I detest owners who let their dog light up on people just because they come close to them because they think their dog is being “protective”
- If my dog every acted like that it would get a SWIFT and HARSH correction followed by my verbal apology to the stranger
- and of course “close” is a relative term, but i hope you catch my drift, and clearly that was what you were describing in your example

furthermore, It’s easy to say one can give their dog some sort of “watch” or “look” command and it will instantly become a PPD if needed. That’s just a lot of talk that you read all over the internet. in reality, it’s not that simple and i’m not gonna waste time pointing out the details of how this is NOT so simple to train.
- but it’s similar to the example of the “somebody” you quoted about the perfect PPD you would like to be (LOL)
- i’m not going to go into details of what was wrong about that quote, but I do know who the author was. The dog she described is unfortunately dead, but she also had another dog that would bite people in public and ‘solved' that problem … by muzzling that dog in public
…...She is CERTAINLY not a PPD trainer either. If you invite her to join this forum, she can speak for herself and defend that quote

Like i said in the beginning of this thread, if you could accomplish the three training goals i mentiond, you would have a nice dog and your training skills would improve VASTLY. I suggest you stop dreaming about making it a PPD until you have mastered these BASIC handling skills……regardless of what you consider the ‘perfect’ PPD

a ‘perfect' PPD is a dog that you can control 100% in ANY situation. It must be NON reactive in public, to the extent it almost appars social. It must be able to instantly switch gears and engage a human IF the handler is threatened. and by “engage”, i most definitely mean BITE and not let go until the owner/handler commands it to out. THAT is easy to say, but, the owner or handler must be the one to throw the switch, not the dog. I could give you a hundred scenarios of why this is required, but they are all hypothetical.
......and perfect dogs like the one described in the quote are like unicorns //LOL//

back to the real world…..
- what are the chances your life will be threatened by another human ? is meeting a stranger when you are out walking your dogs in the woods a potentially life threatening situation ? probably not do you need a PPD to walk in the woods ? probably not
- do you need common sense and situational awareness ?
- ABSOLUTELY !

do you have the control over your dog that is needed when you are out ? probably not

take my advice and DO IT and then post a video you can be proud of and I will be happy to eat my words //LOL//

walk before you run and improve your handling skills every day
find out what potential your dog has, and develop it to the max

that’s how i see it. yes, i could be wrong and maybe you need the services of a PPD trainer, but that doesn’t make my advice a waste of your time to try out
…..i only took the time to post this because it might make sense and help other readers....it's rare but every now and then it happens

Please Register!
Old 12-26-2016, 02:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

but wait ..... there's more !!!!! //LOL//

here's a bonus tip for all those who need PPD's when they are out alone

pencil flares !
1. almost as good as packing a weapon without any of the legal problems
2. user friendly compared to weapons training. VERY short learning curve
3. CHEAP....buy a few and have ready access throughout your property
4. Great deterrent as a stand off weapon used in self defense in a life threatening situation. fire and forget. VERY few scumbags will keep coming once a red hot flare bounces off them
5. can also be used as a signalling device ....but don't leave home without your bear spray !

Please Register!
Old 12-26-2016, 06:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Hi Rick,
I am so glad I posted my question on this board. Your answers are goldmines of knowledge!
I am going to carefully reread every one of them but I already know what to do.
You are right. The description of a PPD dog that the other person posted sounded idyllic. I am a newbie owner who instead of dreaming of a perfect dog, should concentrate on obedience training, especially that I am not really sure I want my dog to bite anybody.
I wish more people would that honest instead of promising stars and the moon to the newbies. If you were a trainer in NJ I would be the first one to sign up for your services.
Thank you again and I wish you a happy and healthy New Year!

Please Register!
Old 12-26-2016, 02:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

TX for having an open mind and thicker skin than many visitors to the WDF

never had the pleasure of working with your breed. But lots of schnauzers on the opposite size scale here with owners who have no clue they were bred to be ratters and guard dogs and are surprised when they act be a bit snarky
- and most of the owners spend more on their clothes and haircuts than on their food

Please Register!
Old 12-27-2016, 12:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

I personally have no issue with a dog that will bark when it sees someone while walking in the woods AS LONG AS the dog can be controlled and will quiet down on command.

The flare idea can help but I wouldn't try it in the woods.

As mentioned, get the obedience solid and when the dog matures then you can think about the PPD thing IF needed.

Please Register!
Old 12-27-2016, 01:17 AM   #19 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

....fire in the woods, etc

I understand no one wants to start a forest fire....'why i said it was for use "in a LIFE THREATENING situation".
- But in my opinion, for people who don't carry firearms, it beats trying to find a stick or rock, and if one would get lost or incapacitated, makes an instant fire starter, and that could be a life saver too

barking doesn't bother me at all. dogs who bark in my face DO if the owner can't shut em up //LOL//

Please Register!
Old 12-28-2016, 12:02 AM   #20 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Bear spray and a fire starter would make a great deterrent when used together.

That would look like a WWII flame thrower.

Please Register!