PPD Training and proofing - Page 3 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » Work Specific Discussion » Personal Protection Dogs » PPD Training and proofing

Personal Protection Dogs Questions and discussion specifically relating to dogs trained for \"Real World\" personal protection.

tcat left
PPD Training and proofing
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 02-18-2015, 11:05 PM   #21 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: IPO
Re: PPD Training and proofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Viscovich View Post
John, I don't have much yet. We have some training videos that we have taken over the past 8 months, that would include obedience, obstacles, agility, and bitework. We are closer to the beginning of our journey than the end. What would be helpful to see? Obedience, toy/tug work, behavior in public places, bitework, hanging around the house, interaction with children and other pets, inclement weather training, hauling/rappelling? Whatever I don't have yet, I'm sure that we could record and post given some time.
not looking for a promotional video or anything. ball play, tug, bite work, fetch, obedience etc. its just always nice to put a dog to a screen name.
John Ly is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2015, 11:23 PM   #22 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Protection Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Viscovich View Post
I am interested in hearing about training and proofing for PPDs. I'll start and feel free to comment, suggest or describe your own philosophy.

The definition of my PPD is:
1. a family companion pet that is loose in the house and obeys house rules
2. is crate trained for times when necessary, without distress
3. is able to be left around small active horseplaying children without aggression
4. is suspicious of all people not in the "circle of trust"
5. ignores/coexists peacefully with other animals inside and out of the house
6. is properly sized to be handled by all family members
7. has enough work drive to be trained effectively
8. is confident and environmentally stable (not skittish)
9. will play with toys without handler aggression and is not excessively possessive(fetch, tug, etc)
10. comes to the door obediently to greet guests
11. is mistaken for a service dog when in public

PPD specific training includes, but not limited to:
1. Bonding (spending alot of social and relaxing time with family member and friends, in car,on trails, wherever)
2. Obedience (everyday, every opportunity to train, agility, various environments)
3. Protection Training:
Mostly full suit, as dog is encouraged to find targets of opportunity, not just the arm/sleeve
Situational/scenario based training with additional focus on your common hobbies, locations, how you spend your time and where you have assessed threats (hiking attacked from woods, carjack, home invasion, burglar, ATM withdrawal)
4. Stability training: dog gets worked up and denied the bite; watches other dogs on bite; decoy shows verbal aggression, but no physical aggression, benign decoy behaviors (greeting and shaking hands); at some point the decoys attack and dog is allowed to respond

PPD behavior should be escalating force:
Level 1: Obedient stare down
Level 2: Bark
Level 3: Bite and retreat when threat is reduced (incapacitated or disengages)
Level 4: Deployment with call-off and return(Very optional, for very rare PPD situations, as this could cause unwanted liability or undesirable behaviors)

Proofing should include a combination of unanticipated decoy attacks in various scenarios, use of hidden sleeves, and muzzle only work.

I think that a PPD is a constant work in progress and that the training and proofing cycle is never-ending. The balance between protection skills and bitework need to be maintained, as they perishable.

Our process: This is our first protection trained dog. We started working with her at age 2 and worked through some of the maturity issues. We were trained as a handler, bonded with and trained under the supervision of professionals (both breeder and trainer) at a remote training facility for 8 months prior to taking her into our home for good. All family members trained to varying degrees. During the 8 month period we had several extended home stays in order to assess areas of improvement that guided our collective training plan. In order to concrete the bonding with the family, we are avoiding exposure to the breeder and trainer for 3 months. We have not performed any bite training yet at my home site (trying to limit stress due to change, and have the dog embrace its home before being called upon for defense of it), but that is planned. In the meantime, we use the tug to work on physical fitness, targeting and "out". Plans are to resume structured protection training in March with goals to start proofing activities at our home by June.

Thanks for reading and looking forward to your comments.
I can get behind most of this if these are your goals. I think PPD is what each individual wants and requires. in regards to the type of dog, and the training that goes into it...

for a dog that I truly thought might be used for real protection that would involve fighting and biting, my requirements are weighted very heavily on the "dog" side of the equation first, as opposed to the training side, which comes 2nd.

if a dog doesn't have what I want or need, I cannot put it in there, regardless of how much I train it.

Heart / Courage is high atop the list of "dog requirements".

I decoyed for 100's of dogs at "PP Competitions" of all different breeds and levels of training. As the decoy I liked a very small % of the dogs (as far as me wanting to own them personally, even though many were far better trained than most of the dogs I have owned. They lacked in things you cannot train..

as far as suspicion, I dont mind a dog that is not suspicious to outsiders, personally, have owned all types, from lovers to straight assholes, you can TRAIN suspicion, or "readiness" or whatever suits your needs very easily most times (with a good strong dog).

are all the little children rough housing around the dog your immediate family? or does the circle of trust extend to all children?

Please Register!
Old 02-18-2015, 11:29 PM   #23 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Personal Protection

#3 was poorly stated. I just don't want the dog to bite my daughter while the dog is loose in the house (with adult supervision). I just thought "good with children" is a bit overused.

You have keyed in on an important distinction. Let me further clarify my free around kids statement: I do not intend to crate the dog when my daughter's close friends come to play and watch movies in our house (with adult supervision). Outside in the yard would be completely supervised with additional attention due to greater range of unexpected influencers.

I did not intend that statement to mean going to the local elementary school and release her into the playground and watch what happens.
Chris Viscovich is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!

Old 02-18-2015, 11:30 PM   #24 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ly View Post
not looking for a promotional video or anything. ball play, tug, bite work, fetch, obedience etc. its just always nice to put a dog to a screen name.
For sure I can make some video available.

Please Register!
Old 02-18-2015, 11:35 PM   #25 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Aggression towards any children (mine or not) is highly and forcefully discouraged.

Please Register!
Old 02-19-2015, 12:17 AM   #26 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Even though I "believe" my two GSDS are very safe with my grand kids yet they are never alone together.
One of my GSDs can be and is a serious dog yet my almost 9yr old grand son has been able to handle him since he, grandson, was 5 or 6 yrs old.

He's better then anyone besides me and that includes my wife and grown kids.

Again, never alone together even though both dogs show great affection to the gkids.

Please Register!
Old 02-19-2015, 02:51 AM   #27 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: KNPV

did i get this right?You have an 8 year old daughter with firearms training?

Please Register!
Old 02-19-2015, 08:41 AM   #28 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Search & Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack van strien View Post
did i get this right?You have an 8 year old daughter with firearms training?
Nothing unusual with that. I was so small when my dad started me that I couldn't even lift the rifle. The end of the barrel was balanced on the top of a jeri can with me hunkered down behind it (prob 4-5yo). Shotguns started around age 9-10. Hand guns began once we had better strength control and could actually hold one up at arm's length and control the recoil. My birthday present at 13-14 was a sweet .380 of my own.
Sarah Platts is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 02-19-2015, 09:02 AM   #29 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

While I fail to see the relevance to the topic,
Sir, I live in Alabama..she is a bit of a late bloomer with the .22 bolt action.

Please Register!
Old 02-19-2015, 09:13 AM   #30 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Basic OB

That is a tall list of requirements, but can be attained with the right dog and the right training.

Best advice I can give is to find the best TRAINING decoy you can get to regularly and start a program with him with all those goals in mind.

A knowledgeable decoy can read your dog and turn on the prey or defense drive as needed to condition the dogs reaction to a situation.

The comment made earlier, that the training of a PPD is a life long process holds true in my opinion.
As his training progresses he will only get better and better at his work.

Perhaps some others on here that are more expert in the field can share their knowledge.
Jim Leon is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!