Personal attachment in PPDs - Page 2 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » Work Specific Discussion » Personal Protection Dogs » Personal attachment in PPDs

Personal Protection Dogs Questions and discussion specifically relating to dogs trained for \"Real World\" personal protection.

tcat left
Personal attachment in PPDs
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 11-18-2015, 11:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Don't Own a Dog
Re: Personal attachment in PPDs

Matt, I don't know Rick, and I believe you he's not being nasty intentionally, but if no one tells him that being ... let's just say impolite is wrong, he can't be expected to know, now can he? I've read many posts on this site, and A LOT are less than helpful! I can't understand this attitude, I don't believe being rude is beneficial to anyone. I like to believe every member on this site loves dogs, dogsports, and if I were new to dogs and got answers like that a lot, I'd probably leave right away. Why can't we just be nice to each other? If one has nothing constructive to say, why say anything?

Yes, I'm getting a dog to train in PP, but I have to wait a couple of months
Thomas Ball is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2015, 12:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Other

We have told him, loads of times, lol, he's just Rick, he's cool, just put the rick filter on and all will be groovy.

A couple pf months is nothing dude it'll be over by christmas.... oh wait that's the war, nah that's gonna be at least 30 years

lol.

What you looking for in a dog? any ideas what you are going to get? It'll be cool. I'll help if I can

http://www.working-dog.eu/dogs-detai...merend-Thistle
Matt Vandart is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 11-18-2015, 12:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

I've gotta finish school first, so it's gonna be a long couple of months, or at least it'll feel long

I like active, athletic dogs. I wouldn't want a dog that is "low energy" (or just lazy, as I call them. The Malinois, Cane Corso, Airedale, Alano, Beauceron are on my shortlist. Having a PPD is not something I absolutely need, so the smaller size of the Airedale, for example, is not a huge drawback. And I know Cane Corsi are not usually hyperactive, but I think they can be active enough for me. I'd love to have a Bullmastiff from 100 years ago, when they could run, track, but can't imagine I'd find a good specimen today

What dogs do you have?

Please Register!

Old 11-18-2015, 02:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Basic OB
Cool Re: Personal attachment in PPDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ball View Post
I'd like to know what you guys think:

As you know, there are many companies offering trained PPDs, usually GSDs and Mals. When the new owner comes, they get a one-, maybe two-day training, then leave with the dog. AFAIK Mals are very loyal dogs, how can they transition from their trainers (their family) to the new owner so quickly? IMO the answer is they can't, unless they're not really bonded with any of their trainers. But then will they learn to truly bond with their new family?

In my view, an ideal PPD (for me at least) is one that is somewhat friendly to the general public, and only switches to protection mode if the need arises. Then switches right back. The fawn Cane Corso (Mario) in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbg6fDNdc5Y seems to be a good example of this. Here's what's strange to me: These two guys work together, Mario is Leedor's own dog. Leedor says ".. he'd kill Rob for me now, but at the same time it'll sit and lick him, he's got no personal attachment." And in this short video you can see clips of Mario attacking Rob (who is NOT wearing any equipment), and you can also see him licking Rob. So here's my question: is Mario really that stable, capable of loving and attacking the same guy within a few minutes, or does he just not take protection work with Rob so seriously? (I know sport dogs do it all the time, but here there's no sleeve, no suit...)

And one final question concerning the above video. At 1:05 Leedor calls Mario back to him, and for a split second Mario seems pretty submissive. Is it just me, or would you guys not want to see that in your dog either?

Thanks for your patience, I hope I was clear enough, can't wait to hear what you think!
Well, for one, he IS wearing protection UNDER his jacket.
Also, when you are training dogs in bite work, they are not angry when they are biting a sleeve or bite suit, they are having a world of fun!! Trainers are using prey drive to command the bite and attack. Of course the unfortunate intruder does not care if the dog latched onto his leg was having fun during his training, but he would appreciate if he was also trained well in the "out"!
As far as the dog becoming part of your "pack", that would happen as you start to handle the dog, and it learns to trust you.
Jeffrey Eggenberger is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 11-18-2015, 03:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Landshark

Quote:
I've gotta finish school first, so it's gonna be a long couple of months, or at least it'll feel long

I like active, athletic dogs. I wouldn't want a dog that is "low energy" (or just lazy, as I call them. The Malinois, Cane Corso, Airedale, Alano, Beauceron are on my shortlist. Having a PPD is not something I absolutely need, so the smaller size of the Airedale, for example, is not a huge drawback. And I know Cane Corsi are not usually hyperactive, but I think they can be active enough for me. I'd love to have a Bullmastiff from 100 years ago, when they could run, track, but can't imagine I'd find a good specimen today

What dogs do you have?
If you don't need one, don't have one and hope you never need one, that would be cool.

I suggest you find a dogsport club first, IPO, ringsport etc I wish I had at your age tbh.
Where you located?

Airedale is a good choice

You can see my dogs on facebook, just search my name dude.

Please Register!
Old 11-18-2015, 03:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Jeffrey, at 1:09 he is not wearing protection gear, not even wearing a jacket, just a T-shirt.
I agree, dogs are having fun when doing protection work, especially sport dogs. But what happens, when you muzzle your dog and there's real fight between the decoy and the dog? I think most dogs realize then that it's for real, not just a game (ie they're not in prey drive all the time). (There's no muzzle work in the video.)
I'm just surprised these dogs change owners that easily. Everyone's heard of dogs whose owners died and they were miserable till their death. This shows that at least some dogs are faithful, a dog that changes owners in 2 days is not (in my interpretation).

Please Register!
Old 11-18-2015, 04:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Vandart View Post
If you don't need one, don't have one and hope you never need one, that would be cool.
People don't need lots of things, but have them. Nobody needs a Porsche, many people have one (or more). A working dog is a happy dog, and protection comes naturally to most of the breeds I like, so why not.

I'm in St. Louis, MO at the moment, but going to Europe for work probably.

Please Register!
Old 11-18-2015, 04:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Landshark

Not the same as a Porsche at all.

Please Register!
Old 11-18-2015, 05:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Undecided

Quote:
Jeffrey, at 1:09 he is not wearing protection gear, not even wearing a jacket, just a T-shirt.
I agree, dogs are having fun when doing protection work, especially sport dogs. But what happens, when you muzzle your dog and there's real fight between the decoy and the dog? I think most dogs realize then that it's for real, not just a game (ie they're not in prey drive all the time). (There's no muzzle work in the video.)
I'm just surprised these dogs change owners that easily. Everyone's heard of dogs whose owners died and they were miserable till their death. This shows that at least some dogs are faithful, a dog that changes owners in 2 days is not (in my interpretation).
He's not taking any bites, either, just teasing the dog. I can make either of my dogs light up on someone whether they are wearing equipment or not... doesn't make them anything special, just makes them dogs that like to do bitework.

Have you ever even had a dog? Or been around any working dogs?
leslie cassian is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 11-18-2015, 06:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Search & Rescue

Not sure that a dog specifically trained for PP is the only road. Not when I pick up the paper and read where this family dog or that one saved "their" family for this danger or that one. Just for curiosity, is anyone here know where their PP saved them from something? I guess I'm wondering how many times, if any, your PP dog had to actually perform that service? Other than just hanging around looking big and serious.
Sarah Platts is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!