Caucasian Ovcharka? - Page 3 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » Work Specific Discussion » Personal Protection Dogs » Caucasian Ovcharka?

Personal Protection Dogs Questions and discussion specifically relating to dogs trained for \"Real World\" personal protection.

tcat left
Caucasian Ovcharka?
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 03-24-2016, 06:30 PM   #21 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Personal Protection
Re: Caucasian Ovcharka?

Thanks for the Terrier review.

After my sister's experiences with the Jack Russels, I think I will pass on that breed.
Sid Post is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2016, 12:15 AM   #22 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

I love all the crazy little bassids!

Please Register!
Old 04-05-2016, 11:44 PM   #23 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Basic OB

I have to sit back, control myself, smile, and try and understand. Of all the wonderful dog owners involved in this forum, to comment, critique and mostly offer negative comments on the CO, they all must of owned the breed for many years? How else can they possibly be so intimate with the breed that they are able to comment with authority.
I live with my 4 Caucasians on a ranch in Texas, there is not a more loyal, protective animal as far as I am concerned. They have not had heat stroke, eaten by Coyotes, or ran out of gas. Loyal to all family members and great with all kids. Natural guardian for home and family, no bells and whistles needed.
Perhaps I have joined the wrong forum, I joined the forum for friendship and knowledge, not to defend or criticize any breed.
Not intended to offend anyone, just my point of view.
Larry Barton is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-06-2016, 04:08 AM   #24 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other

Larry
...or maybe YOU could have joined the forum and actively participated in this thread since you have relevant experience with this breed rather than posting now with what you just wrote ?
- in my opinion; which of course doesn't matter much, that would have been more productive
- otoh, you were somewhat defensive when you first posted and still appear to be

if you feel they are the best all around breed you have ever had, be passionate about them and provide more specifics of why they are
- we have strong minded people here, and many have tons of all around dog experience, but most of them are not breed biased and still have an open mind
- in my opinion, most of the comments you didn't care for were hypotheticals of what "might happen", not all inclusive conclusions that could not be debated

- all dogs are still just dogs; even the breed you like so much. it's also equally debatable to say one breed is the "best"
rick smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-06-2016, 11:26 AM   #25 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: Undecided
Location: A desert in California not too far from the mountains.

Larry, I can understand how it would be hard to hear about bad experiences with no balance at all. I like that people on this forum seem to be straight shooters, but the forum does not always reflect balance especially with a breed that is so scarce. I personally think the CO looks lovely and seems to have many good qualities, but this is only through researching what breeders say. I've never met one. My Pyrenees has the same lovely face though. One person ran from him thinking he was a CO. LOL, guess there IS bad press. I think the mindset of SOME LGD people is to not socialize their dogs. This may have been the case with the small sample that people have met on here. Please give us a chance. I personally would love to learn from you. Also, Rick, who I like very much seems to have been born without an empathy filter for his WORDS, not his heart. Also, if I based my decisions on a small sample size, I'd never get a Malinois, the breed I'm after. I told a breeder that half of the ones I met were terrible and I'm not exaggerating. She then thought I was an idiot. It was just my sample size. I love the high drive, but had seen shy ones and ones that the owners didn't fully trust not to be aggressive at the wrong time. A well bred and socialized one is nothing like some of the ones I'd seen.
Hope you stay. With enough time, all the experiences and opinions will balance out. You will meet many helpful and knowledgeable folk
Gina
Gina Mezin is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-07-2016, 04:28 AM   #26 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Personal Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Barton View Post
I live with my 4 Caucasians on a ranch in Texas, there is not a more loyal, protective animal as far as I am concerned. They have not had heat stroke, eaten by Coyotes, or ran out of gas. Loyal to all family members and great with all kids. Natural guardian for home and family, no bells and whistles needed.
Perhaps I have joined the wrong forum, I joined the forum for friendship and knowledge, not to defend or criticize any breed.
Not intended to offend anyone, just my point of view.
Please share your knowledge of this breed. There are so few of them, it's not often we get to hear from the perspective of a happy owner. When all you have are web pages and bad documentaries on television, it is very hard to fairly assess what a breed has to offer someone.

Heck, if all I knew about Pit Bulls was based on the web and television, I would be deathly afraid of them. Pits are super sweet dogs unless you abuse them severely for a very long time.
Sid Post is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-07-2016, 05:01 AM   #27 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other

Sid
this was the intro thread :
http://www.workingdogforum.com/vBull...l-texas-46922/

lots of welcomes and requests to learn more about em
nothing nasty or defensive was posted that i remember

thread didn't last long and got off track a bit like most of them do
rick smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-07-2016, 12:22 PM   #28 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: Undecided
Location: A desert in California not too far from the mountains.

Thanks for sharing the thread. I'd missed it. Yes, as usual, everyone was so welcoming. AND it looks like many of us want to know more about the CO. I, myself, can only see them as a natural protector (I do believe some socialized, trained, courageous dogs, of certain breeds can be natural LGD, property protectors). Like I said before, I've seen the videos of supposed protection work, but I'm skeptical on the control. I am very impressed with what Gillian did with her Landseer, so, maybe
Gina Mezin is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-08-2016, 05:35 AM   #29 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Basic OB

Thank you for the positive responses. I do apologize for being extremely sensitive in regard to some of the comments about the CO. Our dogs are an important part of our family for many reasons, most important, the unconditional love they give us, and we give it right back to them. When i walk through my gate in the evening, my 180 pound puppy, 14 months old, assumes the position on his back, looking for his nightly belly rub, the other 3 COs are enjoy the same thing. My two and a half year old male will crawl into my lap if I am sitting on the ground and snuggle up as long as i let him. (they all live outside).
They will go zero to a hundred in a fraction of a second, from teddy bears, to full blown raging, jaw popping guard dogs the second they see or smell something that does not seem correct. We have done a very small amount of training, none of it being serious, we have no doubt, they would attack any body causing us harm.
Our situation is unique as we live on a high fenced game ranch, there is a 10 foot high fence runs for about 5 miles around us. Our house sits in the middle with a one acre pen, this is where our dogs live.
If you have many people in and out of you home, or your kids bring friends home all the time, and the kids get a bit rowdy, not the dog for you unless you can monitor them.
We also have a Tibetan and an English Mastiff, and also my sons Shiba
Inu. The Caucasians are dog aggressive, our adult male and female stay separated from our two young males, and they are all separated from the other dogs. The adult COs have a bite force of about 700 pounds, I have seen 2 dog fights, thats enough for a life time. Interesting note though, when i got in the middle of the fight to break it up, jaws closed, they stopped biting ,not very smart on my part, but they have a huge amount of respect for us, but not for other dogs.
The two main ingredients I feel ( i am far from an expert) that we have done to have 4 great COs is pick the right breeder,communicate with him on what disposition you want in the COs, ( he has some that only do guard dog work, from crate to job, cannot ever be pets), and, secondly, they they get a huge amount of love and attention from us every single day. They are quite smart, and pick up on our social queue every day, a little TLC goes a very long way.
If any of you folks would like to come out and visit, we are about 2 and a half hours west of Dallas. We run a small exotic meat business, our website is Legend Meats.com if you would like to see some pictures.
Thank you for your interest.
Larry
Larry Barton is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-08-2016, 02:51 PM   #30 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

Training: Search & Rescue

Larry, so glad you joined in. It was mentioned in an earlier post that anyone wanting info on a CO should speak with you.
You need to check in here more often. Then Rick won't have as much time to steer the conversation where he wants it to go.

How do the CO's do in the heat? The OP said in her area it doesn't tend to break 100 very often. But I know where you're at and I know it breaks 100 alot. Lol.
mel boschwitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!