Caucasian Ovcharka? - Page 2 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » Work Specific Discussion » Personal Protection Dogs » Caucasian Ovcharka?

Personal Protection Dogs Questions and discussion specifically relating to dogs trained for \"Real World\" personal protection.

tcat left
Caucasian Ovcharka?
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 03-19-2016, 02:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog
Re: Caucasian Ovcharka?

Curious. There seems to be a higher than usual interest in discussing this breed or rather a pivotal occupant for the cultivation of dialogue that touches upon a number of broad topics. Whichever it may be, bravo and welcome to the forum.

I have no idea what breed is right for you but I can recommend a good side arm. Or you can look up the fella who recently joined the forum from TX, who also has Caucasian Ovcharka. His name is Larry Barton and if you Google Legend Meats you can contact him directly and get the straight story. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2016, 09:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: Undecided
Location: A desert in California not too far from the mountains.

Wanted to say thanks for considering all the ideas we wrote. The Armenians have a breed, Armenian "something" that is a shorter haired, more primitive version of the CO. Independent dog again. I think you'd enjoy and it might work better having a more obedient type dog though. I think the size of the BRT and attitude would make it safer than most with your roaming dogs or a Bouvier. But then you are back to coat. Is it humid where you are? The BRT might cool down in your pond or stock tank.They are water lovers. If it were me, I'd bring a coated breed, or probably any breed in after 100. degrees. Like people mentioned choising the GSD, I think you may want a dog that is less independent and wants to follow you around. So I think its down to how much control you want over this dog, its trainability, and then researching the heat/humidity factor. The BRT would hold up well to a couple of strays going after it and so would a Bouvier I think, BUT do they over heat? Coat helps in dog attacks , and size, but if there are really packs of three or four big wandering dogs, no dog would be safe alone. Surely the two of you would be fine together.Good luck again. Some have told me that some Bouviers aren't good tempered and to be careful about this. They are also somewhat more calm than the BRT. I'm just mentioning these big dogs because big dogs like these with coats could hold their own for a while better. A GSD would be the most trainable however.
Gina Mezin is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 03-20-2016, 09:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Personal Protection

Thanks Gina. You bring up several good points.

To be honest, I really prefer short hair breeds because I am not a fan of the shedding, washing, up keep, etc. but, as crazy as it sounds the thicker coat does protect against heat and sun exposure but, the trade off may come when activity levels are high and they overheat. If my dog is getting bit, the longer coat is an asset. Being able to turn while bit and fight back helps when they are under attack. And yes, a 1 vs. Many is a no win situation for any dog, the only question is how many 2, 3, 4 ... are too many?

Regarding environment, yes humidity in this part of Texas can rise pretty high. High's generally don't break 100 degrees but, high 90's are common. I have 2 ponds so, if the dog wants to go swimming that is an easy option for them.

Yes, I want a dog that is loyal. I want a dog that will 'hang' with me but, they don't need to be two paces away at all times either.
Sid Post is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!

Old 03-21-2016, 03:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other

and just to add to that...
TOO many people get long coat dogs, allow the coat to go to hell and then shave em down.....WORST way to care for an outside dog
rick smith is online now   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 03-21-2016, 03:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

the right amount of "velcro" can and should be trained for, not unconsciously conditioned until it becomes a problem !

Please Register!
Old 03-21-2016, 03:37 AM   #16 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

long or short coats and shedding is not always proportional.....the shedding is just more visible in long coats

Please Register!
Old 03-21-2016, 05:33 AM   #17 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

curious...
you said the second dog would be 4-5 years away, so did you already decide on the first one (assuming LGD) ?

or are you now considering getting both now ?

Please Register!
Old 03-23-2016, 09:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick smith View Post
long or short coats and shedding is not always proportional.....the shedding is just more visible in long coats
Agreed. Some dogs shed more than others but, all dogs shed for the most part. Heck even I 'shed' if you look at the shower drain in the mornings.

Please Register!
Old 03-23-2016, 09:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick smith View Post
curious...
you said the second dog would be 4-5 years away, so did you already decide on the first one (assuming LGD) ?

or are you now considering getting both now ?
For LGDs, I would time them to be in a "Mentor/Mentee" relationship and would like to have two LGDs in the future but, not initially. Assuming a lifespan of 8 to 12 years that means 4 to 5 years to me.

My "second" dog would be an inside dog, travel companion, alert dog, etc. I am initially thinking along the lines of a Standard Poodle or ground Terrier to give the ground moles Hell in addition to being a companion and giving me time to get a firearm if needed.

Please Register!
Old 03-23-2016, 11:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
For LGDs, I would time them to be in a "Mentor/Mentee" relationship and would like to have two LGDs in the future but, not initially. Assuming a lifespan of 8 to 12 years that means 4 to 5 years to me.

My "second" dog would be an inside dog, travel companion, alert dog, etc. I am initially thinking along the lines of a Standard Poodle or ground Terrier to give the ground moles Hell in addition to being a companion and giving me time to get a firearm if needed.

Sounds like a great combo.

I've owned half a dozen different terrier breeds and terrier mixes over the yrs.

Kerry Blues - non shedding. 35, 40 lbs and all terrier.

Kerry reputation , Fight at the drop of the hat and carried their own hat with them.

Fine if raised with other dogs but still full of fire.

Norwich - cute and lovable but mine was show line and had no interest in rat hunting or earth work. Still a good alert dog.

Border terriers - My personal favs but to willing to die going after any critter, anytime and anywhere, any size.

I retired them from earth work for that reason. To willing to die.

My two were show line but still had everything it took to be called "real" terriers.

They get along easier with other dogs than most all the terriers.

White Bull terrier - Dense as a granite boulder and also no quit with critters.

Jack Russell - All working bred lines in his background. Bat shit crazy. Climbed the tree and jumped out of my son's tree house on a regular basis. When I shingled my garage roof we had to pull the ladder up with us or her'd bee right up the ladder.

When I would tell him to get off it was straight off the roof.

At 15 he was blind in one eye, damn near deaf, gimpy and still bat shit crazy.

Best earth dog I had. Correct in the ground as a baying dog and still smart above ground.

Also my best mole hunter.

Please Register!