1 Year PPD Training Update - Page 2 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » Work Specific Discussion » Personal Protection Dogs » 1 Year PPD Training Update

Personal Protection Dogs Questions and discussion specifically relating to dogs trained for \"Real World\" personal protection.

tcat left
1 Year PPD Training Update
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 03-02-2016, 02:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other
Re: 1 Year PPD Training Update

only somewhat related but i'll pass it along for what it's worth...if anything //lol//

i'm working with someone right now who has made huge successes in her handling skills. she is working with a very high drive dog who never had an opportunity to bite ANYTHING, but now loves hitting a tug. will clamp down and fight as long as she wants to, but has a nice crisp verbal out. i give her new ideas all the time, and she is a perfectionist and dedicated and tries hard at whatever i suggest. the dog is also coming along great
what's the relevance here ?
she has one big problem. almost no imagination. she will do drills over and over and the dog nails it because the dog knows EXACTLY what is being expected. it looks very impressive .... but there is a problem
- change it up and things start quickly falling apart. then, being the perfectionist she is, she gets frustrated too quickly
- nevertheless, i tell her the dog needs more options thrown at it or it stops thinking, and she fortunately she realises that
- she would rather practice what she knows that will get nice results, and i see this same mind set ALL the time when people work their dogs
- my challenge is to to motivate and push her to keep raising the bar and thus challenge the dog

i thought of this when i read that you work every day on tugging and outs. for me: lots of reps of the same set are great for learning, but at some point new sets are needed, not more reps of the same sets. this does not happen unless you take time to think and plan out entirely new scenarios that require additional thinking by the dog. and especially effective if it gives the dog an option to do it "the old way" or "the new way"

it takes time but to me, it's well worth the investment and i see dogs who are also more motivated too ... win-win
rick smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2016, 02:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Personal Protection

Rick,
Great point. I think that my dog has a particularly difficult time working from a trained behavior within a specific environment to generalizing that behavior. With some behaviors we have made great strides, specifically in the basic obedience area definately based on broad exposure and unconventional training areas (sewer tunnels, rock quarries, waterfalls, supermarkets, shooting ranges, construction sites etc.)

While not impossible, definitely more difficult to get the same variety of exposure in other areas of PPD work. But this is what is required to have a dog capable of acting appropriately in other than canned, repeated environments.

Sticking with the tug theme, there is nothing wrong with introducing more variety and generalizing the tug play to assist the learning process.

Just talked with my decoy at lunch and he is excited about doing some late night scenarios, especially now that we know the folks on the PD. That is surely worth recording for review.
Chris Viscovich is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 03-02-2016, 06:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Search & Rescue

Good luck with your test. Crossing my fingers for you.
Sarah Platts is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!

Old 03-02-2016, 10:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Hopefully the SAR team will test for aggression in all dogs and not just those with bite training.

Please Register!
Old 03-03-2016, 01:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

hope this doesn't get too far off topic, but does anyone have a good test they use for evaluating aggression ?

Please Register!
Old 03-03-2016, 07:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
Landshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick smith View Post
hope this doesn't get too far off topic, but does anyone have a good test they use for evaluating aggression ?
For SAR the most frequently used test is the dog is in a sit by the handler and a friendly stranger comes up and engages the handler in a short conversation. Dog can stand but must not show any aggression to or behavior suggesting a threat such as hackling or growling. The person shakes hands with the handler and moves away.

I do not feel that adequately covers what happens in the field. I will then take the dog and run a short search problem with them. I have the victim seated on the ground and when the dog comes up they wave a branch or stick at the dog telling the dog to "go away", "go back", "shoo", or something similar. I do not want to see any aggression or behavior suggesting such directed to the victim. What I hope happens is the dog backs up and then performs the refind back to the handler. On the 'show me', the dog may not immediately run back to the victim but I expect to see the dog lead the handler back. For the on-lead dogs, same thing. No refind, of course, but even if the dog tries to keep making contact with the victim, they stay friendly. At no time, does the victim make any threatening motions toward the handler

Please Register!
Old 03-03-2016, 08:08 AM   #17 (permalink)
Landshark

I should also mention that in my testing the victim is not wearing a sleeve or any form of equipment protection.

Please Register!
Old 03-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #18 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Personal Protection

I will address this with our SAR training leads. I am relatively new to the team, but have seen no evidence of this type of testing in the SAR environment. We do conduct this drill quite a bit during protection training, both with and without equipment, but always on lead, which is not the case for the SAR work.

Great discussion points, thanks all.
Chris Viscovich is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 03-03-2016, 12:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

tx for the input Sarah

i assumed for a potential SAR K9 it would involve more than a simple (on lead) canine good buddy "meet and greet with no eat" drill

in my limited experience, aggression problems that can be helped are usually scenario based. if they are constant the dog probably won't make it to a forever home in the first place

always interested in what evaluators consider a Go/No go level of aggression when checking out a dog for specific jobs including just being a pet

Please Register!
Old 03-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

don't want to drift too far off

i realize aggression can be judged "in the eye of the beholder" and interpreted differently

Please Register!