Tracking Progression - Page 8 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » Work Specific Discussion » Tracking » Tracking Progression

Tracking All styles of tracking can be discussed here.

tcat left
Tracking Progression
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 04-15-2016, 06:20 PM   #71 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Police K9
Re: Tracking Progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole Stark View Post
LOL something like that.

Speaking of special I have a .500 SW Alaskan Backpacker. Now that's something just a little bit special. It'll knock the sense out of you if you aren't paying attention.
That's a serious fire stick. Then again, you got serious critters up there. You need big medicine for them thar bars.

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2016, 07:36 PM   #72 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: Search & Rescue
Think it's the moose (and mosquitoes) I would be more mindful of... Not that I'm saying I would be cozy running up on a bear either, but moose are mean buggers
Misty Wegner is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-16-2016, 05:39 AM   #73 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog
Re: Tracking Progression

Moose thankfully stop short, same as bear. And… sometimes they don't.

It takes a different constitution to make it through shit like that. And shit, really is the right word. I carried in the bush before, off and on depending upon what my gut said. That all changed last summer with that rogue moose. I believe she had a calf that was injured by a brown bear but it eventually died.

I don't know if it was time or the curiosity of the Mastiff, but the cow was a bit out of her mind for a while, charging anyone who might pass by her area. After it was done, all I recall was the stabbing and pounding of her hoofs in that charge or well, the sheer closeness of it to my dear dog, to piss me off. And so I have remained.

I haven't looked at the environment the same since. On that day, I see my dog dart off the trail to check something out only to see a massive mound of brown rise to my left. Then upright, I could feel it, I saw the dog running, and those ears/hoofs barred with intent, mere feet away from her.

I rose, with the same intent. It was odd. I found myself roaring and not like city folk might read the word but as in I dredge up everything primal in me and redirect the moose toward me for my dog. I will die for you. I would have, she saw that and turned on me. I stood unarmed and she stopped.

Someone once said these experiences I have had with this Mastiff are...

Different and personal…they are.

Today, I left the house with the Mastiff to explore. I saw Mallards and Gulls. Then I rounded the bend with the dog to a place I haven't been before. What? An otter? Where did it come from? Does it have a companion? Who knows, only the otter does. But yes it was there alone, living it seems, with a pair of Mallards. I look overhead and see an Eagle, then the calling of Gulls in between the Eagle calls.

I like this life of random awesomeness. It's kinda cool. Yet, I am more vigilant now. Less for myself than I am for the dog (the Mastiff who follows herself, the Dutch follows me). As to the former I don't know why that is, it just is.

Tracking progression is what led me here, this dog and what I have witnessed through her is what keeps me interested in these threads. I enjoy them all. I suspect I might feel so long after this dog leaves me.

Please Register!