Scent Discrimination Training Protocol in Tracking - Page 2 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » Work Specific Discussion » Tracking » Scent Discrimination Training Protocol in Tracking

Tracking All styles of tracking can be discussed here.

tcat left
Scent Discrimination Training Protocol in Tracking
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 05-22-2015, 03:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

Training: Search & Rescue
Re: Scent Discrimination Training Protocol in Tracking

Yeah-the name of the book is unfortunate in that people think it's for bloodhound training only-which couldn't be further from the truth. It's more about making a dog-bloodhound or otherwise-to be good enough and solid enough to be used in criminal cases and be able to use the results in court. I know for a fact it is commonly-and quite successfully- used by many breeds.
A lot of people don't like Kocher because he put into a book what people have been saying and doing for years. Early bird gets the worm

As you can see, most of methods are pretty similar. kevin's book will just give you an easy to reference roadmap.
Or you can get Schettler's book or any of the other people who have put it on paper if you are so inclined.
mel boschwitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2015, 01:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Police K9

Thanks guys. It seems that I have inadvertently begun in the right direction with what I have done so far. It should not be such a great leap from there to just acquiring a scent article and having the dog discriminate out the unwanted tracks for the target track. I believe I'll set up some scenarios and see how he does. He's a pretty smart boy so hopefully he picks it up fairly quick. But, because I'm hardheaded I'm going to train his foundation on the cloth squares just to ease my mind. It may be the slow road but for me to have confidence in my dog I have to know the work was put in and that he knows, and performs the exercise to an acceptable standard in my mind. I also need to have the confidence, and training logs for any potential testimony in criminal cases. Primarily I want to train the exercise for SAR as we have plenty of elderly and children at risk in my area. I don't care as much about criminals as I do the citizens who may have placed themselves in danger and when I am called there is usually a very small window in which to locate them to prevent a tragedy. I have to know that I did everything that I could.

Please Register!
Old 05-22-2015, 01:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Landshark

I'm glad you are going to keep going forward. I have faith in your dog that he is capable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Knauf View Post
Primarily I want to train the exercise for SAR as we have plenty of elderly and children at risk in my area. I don't care as much about criminals as I do the citizens who may have placed themselves in danger and when I am called there is usually a very small window in which to locate them to prevent a tragedy. I have to know that I did everything that I could.
Just remember that you can get the call for these folks hours or days after they have gone missing. It's been my experience that the average is 3-8 hours gone before reported then it slides to 2-3 days (left Friday but wasn't reported till Sunday nite or Monday). So you also have to train for trail age too. Even if you have not trained for that age, certainly give it a try but if your dog is having problems don't be afraid to reach out to SAR mantrailers because the good ones are training for those aged tracks.
Sarah Platts is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!

Old 05-22-2015, 04:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Platts View Post
I'm glad you are going to keep going forward. I have faith in your dog that he is capable.

Just remember that you can get the call for these folks hours or days after they have gone missing. It's been my experience that the average is 3-8 hours gone before reported then it slides to 2-3 days (left Friday but wasn't reported till Sunday nite or Monday). So you also have to train for trail age too. Even if you have not trained for that age, certainly give it a try but if your dog is having problems don't be afraid to reach out to SAR mantrailers because the good ones are training for those aged tracks.
The majority of SAR calls I get are missing elderly that are reported within the hour or so. Now and then its longer than that. We also get a lot of suicidal juveniles who run out of the home and the call is made right away. On top of that, we have a mental health facility in our city that the whole dang county transports to. We constantly have suicidal persons "elope" from said facility (don't ask...sore subject) and I am always trying to track them down. For subjects missing for more than 2 hours we call in the Sheriff's helicopter and conduct hard searches. We are mostly city so tracking anything over 2 hours old is pretty much out of the question. My oldest track to date with this dog is 90 minutes. It was on a stabbing suspect and the track was started on hard surface but ended up near the Indian River. Suspect apprehended. I was proud of my boy for that one because the track was uber contaminated by the time I got there by crime scene techs and pedestrian looky loo's. My article? (if you can call it an article)... Drops of blood at the start. The bad guy was injured during the offense. Without the blood I believe the track would have been impossible to locate given the way my boy was trained.

Please Register!
Old 05-22-2015, 06:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Landshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Knauf View Post
The majority of SAR calls I get are missing elderly that are reported within the hour or so. Now and then its longer than that. We also get a lot of suicidal juveniles who run out of the home and the call is made right away. On top of that, we have a mental health facility in our city that the whole dang county transports to. We constantly have suicidal persons "elope" from said facility (don't ask...sore subject) and I am always trying to track them down. For subjects missing for more than 2 hours we call in the Sheriff's helicopter and conduct hard searches. We are mostly city so tracking anything over 2 hours old is pretty much out of the question. My oldest track to date with this dog is 90 minutes. It was on a stabbing suspect and the track was started on hard surface but ended up near the Indian River. Suspect apprehended. I was proud of my boy for that one because the track was uber contaminated by the time I got there by crime scene techs and pedestrian looky loo's. My article? (if you can call it an article)... Drops of blood at the start. The bad guy was injured during the offense. Without the blood I believe the track would have been impossible to locate given the way my boy was trained.
That is a pretty awesome story. Bet you puffed up like a bullfrog when you snagged that guy. Congrats on some fantastic work.
Sarah Platts is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 05-23-2015, 12:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Platts View Post
That is a pretty awesome story. Bet you puffed up like a bullfrog when you snagged that guy. Congrats on some fantastic work.
Well, I played it off like it was no big deal but in reality I didn't expect much. The dog had been on the road barely a year. I had a contaminated starting point and a general direction of travel. Local knowledge was a big help too given the specifics of those involved. The further I got from the scene the more confidence I had in the track. Total distance of the track was about 1/4 mile. I worked the hell out of it and came out OK. I'm not one to be happy with blind luck. I'd feel much more comfortable with having high confidence from the start. Civilian SAR teams are pretty much non existent in Central Florida so I don't have a resource to tap here for information or practical exercises. Too bad because i could use that right about now. As it is, I'm going to have to use what I think I know and go from there and hope it all works out. I'm actually quite excited about the whole thing really. Teaching my boy something new, and useful always gets me going.

Please Register!
Old 05-24-2015, 10:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

The very best call outs for children in particular are those that are called off after you've driven 2-300 miles. !!!CHILD/PATIENT FOUND!!!

Please Register!
Old 05-25-2015, 01:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Scott View Post
The very best call outs for children in particular are those that are called off after you've driven 2-300 miles. !!!CHILD/PATIENT FOUND!!!
I've been on hundreds of those. You are absolutely right. Being a parent puts more emotion and, and devotion to the task.

Please Register!