New App for tracking - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » Work Specific Discussion » Tracking » New App for tracking

Tracking All styles of tracking can be discussed here.

tcat left
New App for tracking
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 09-06-2015, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Police K9
New App for tracking

Working in collaboration with a fellow officer on creating a tracking app. I have always used View ranger GPS because it has the overlay feature to see where the decoy went and then saw my track. I have had lots of issues with that app so I need some input from you guys.

I want to create one that has the overlay feature along with pins that can be dropped for articles. There would also be a section for weather conditions and notes as well. Trying to make the weather auto populate but we will see. I'm not sure what other features would be desired from the tracking community. Please give input and hopefully we can make it happen.

Should be up and running in a month or so. I tried to make it free but looks like it will have to have a fee due to the data storage. I will also be looking for individuals who track on a daily/weekly basis to test the unit (free of course).

Excited to get this going. feel free to include other apps or software programs that you like to use and why.

Thank again
Robbie Waldrop is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Please visit our Sponsor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2015, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ate the Tug

Training: Schutzhund
Have you seen or tried the tracking dog app?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trac...878052915?mt=8
Mark Sheplak is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 09-06-2015, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: Search & Rescue
Will this be for Apple or Android (I have android) ? I track almost everyday, urban, suburban and wilderness.. Sounds like a cool app
Misty Wegner is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!

Old 09-07-2015, 03:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

Re: New App for tracking

If it doesn't automatically record weather conditions what makes it different then the other tracking apps out there?
mel boschwitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 09-07-2015, 01:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

I have not tried the tracking dog app because I also have an android device. The app will be made available for both android and iphone.

What makes the app different will be the ability to overlay the track layers route with the actual route of the handler. It's also beneficial for handlers who lay their own tracks that start stretching them out for a distance where you can't remember a turn or the exact route.

Like I said, please offer suggestions. We would like to build a great app for the tracking community.

Please Register!
Old 09-07-2015, 04:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

I really like the overlay aspect.. I have to give my subject the GPS and then put the collar in my dog to get the overlay.. Unfortunately, I often forget the collar! I don't ever forget my phone, lol..
Misty Wegner is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 09-07-2015, 05:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ate the Tug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Waldrop View Post
I have not tried the tracking dog app because I also have an android device. The app will be made available for both android and iphone.

What makes the app different will be the ability to overlay the track layers route with the actual route of the handler. It's also beneficial for handlers who lay their own tracks that start stretching them out for a distance where you can't remember a turn or the exact route.

Like I said, please offer suggestions. We would like to build a great app for the tracking community.
Robbie,

I did offer you a suggestion. You just dismissed it. Let me be more specific, I don't know what your proposed app will do that this one currently doesn't do. In addition, it is developed by working-dog EU which gives it a lot of marketing exposure.

http://en.working-dog.eu/tracking-dog

Here are their listed features.

It is for both Android and iPhone.
  • Recording of the track through GPS
  • Show the track on a card with current GPS position
  • Capture additional information:
    • Items on the track
    • Environmental conditions (e.g. weather, time of day, wind direction)
    • Capture the environment/ground
  • Run a track with your dog
  • Save, edit and administrate the tracks
  • Capture if the dog found items
  • Multilingualism (German, English)
  • Weather information will be directly recalled from the weather service
Their description isn't comprehensive. It allows for an overlay of the laid vs. ran track. It allows for note taking and for photos of actual terrain, articles, etc.. It allows for you to share your tracks on social media. It has a mode that will warn you by a subtle vibration of an upcoming turn or item. It tells you how long it took you to run the track. It provides the distance of the track. It allows you to chose what type of map you would like to look at (map, satellite or hybrid).

Before proceeding, I would spend the $8.23 and know what you are competing against,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...el.trackingdog

Please Register!
Old 09-07-2015, 09:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Hey Mark, sorry it seemed I dismissed your post but that was not the case. I did check out the app and it does look like a pretty good app. The problem with that app is similar to the other GPS apps that are on the market.

Once the track layer and/or handler starts recording a track and puts the phone in their pocket, the powersave mode kicks in and the screen goes dark. Once the button is pressed to reopen the app, the previous portion of the track is lost. Another scenario that happens to me is: As I lay a track, I am recording the track and I will receive a phone call or text and the track is lost when I go back to the app.

I discussed this issue with computer literate individuals and they have told me that it would cost money to have that functionality. The free apps are not going to have it. The app that you mentioned does not have that feature so i'm not sure what they are charging for other than having a pretty good app.

I'm not trying to compete with anyone or get rich (haha), I simply want to create a really good app. I appreciate the info on the app because I had looked at it but not in detail until your post. Would love for you to test ours and give comparisons if you don't mind.

Please Register!
Old 09-08-2015, 06:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Cadaver

I just have a GPS but have used some of the earlier tracking apps (since I have an offlead cadaver dog, the unit on the collar makes more sense) that said, the ability to export files specifically as GPX allows for archival and it being pulled up on multiple platforms. The first one I had would save them but not in that format..

Please Register!
Old 09-08-2015, 07:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Ate the Tug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Waldrop View Post
Hey Mark, sorry it seemed I dismissed your post but that was not the case. I did check out the app and it does look like a pretty good app. The problem with that app is similar to the other GPS apps that are on the market.

Once the track layer and/or handler starts recording a track and puts the phone in their pocket, the powersave mode kicks in and the screen goes dark. Once the button is pressed to reopen the app, the previous portion of the track is lost. Another scenario that happens to me is: As I lay a track, I am recording the track and I will receive a phone call or text and the track is lost when I go back to the app.

I discussed this issue with computer literate individuals and they have told me that it would cost money to have that functionality. The free apps are not going to have it. The app that you mentioned does not have that feature so i'm not sure what they are charging for other than having a pretty good app.

I'm not trying to compete with anyone or get rich (haha), I simply want to create a really good app. I appreciate the info on the app because I had looked at it but not in detail until your post. Would love for you to test ours and give comparisons if you don't mind.
Robbie,

Fair enough. I would be happy to use the app and give feedback.

I haven't seen either of those issues you listed with the iphone version (you could also just adjust the power saving settings as GPS drains the battery fairly quickly anyway and block incoming texts/calls while tracking), but as Nancy points out exporting the files to a more uniform platform would be useful. Also, the list of terrain that they provide as choices is insufficient. Granted, you can write up your own notes and take photos, but still it would be nice to have more choices or even great them yourself.

If you really want to swing for the fences, it would be great (but expensive) to have a small unit mounted on the dog's harness, collar, etc. that records the GSP position and transmits it back to the smart phone. That way you would have a "truer" measure of the track as ran by the dog, not the handler who is often 10 m behind. Taking this a step further (and perhaps out of everyone's price range), you could put a 6 degree of freedom inertial measurement unit (IMU) on the dog along with a GPS. The GPS would give you the initial location at the start of the track and the IMU would likely provide better accuracy than the GPS unit on the collar.

Please Register!