Introducing Articles - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » Work Specific Discussion » Tracking » Introducing Articles

Tracking All styles of tracking can be discussed here.

tcat left
Introducing Articles
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 03-17-2016, 08:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Schutzhund
Introducing Articles

I'm curious to learn how to introduce articles in tracking (Schutzhund). From what I've been told, you teach it separately from tracking and then incorporate the article on the track once they understand the concept of downing on the article. That part I understand but I'm not sure how to teach the down on the article. I'm guessing you have a scented article, toss it out where the dog can see, give down command when dog is approaches article, mark when article is between dogs front legs, place food on article, and release. Does this sound generally correct? Are there better ways to do this? Thanks.
Elliot Parker is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Please visit our Sponsor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Other
Re: Introducing Articles

Just put the article in front of the dog and when it sniffs it tell it to down. i have a vid somewhere of teaching it

http://www.working-dog.eu/dogs-detai...merend-Thistle
Matt Vandart is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 03-17-2016, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

I've always taught it separate but others have luck with teaching it on the track.

I like to get a reliable down on command and from there I let the dog randomly wander around and when they come across the article they get the "down" command.

What Matt suggested is just as good. Just be consistent with whatever works for you and your dog.

Please Register!

Old 03-18-2016, 12:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Undecided

I taught it through free shaping with a pile of wieners and a clicker. Fun training exercise for me and the dog, but never got as far as trialing, so no idea if that would be a good way to teach it for competition.
leslie cassian is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 03-18-2016, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Police K9

I teach it as a separate exercise. Even though the dog is awesome at it, on a real track he will only investigate the article, then look back at me to indicate that it has fresh human odor. He has more important things on his mind so I don't care that he doesn't down.

Please Register!
Old 03-19-2016, 12:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Howard my older GSD did that to me on his SchIII tracking test.

He got to the article, turned to look at me then kept right on going.

I told the judge "Well he DID indicate where it was".

Didn't work.

Please Register!
Old 03-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Police K9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Scott View Post
Howard my older GSD did that to me on his SchIII tracking test.

He got to the article, turned to look at me then kept right on going.

I told the judge "Well he DID indicate where it was".

Didn't work.
Without getting into a sport vs working discussion, that's a bummer. Now, if your boy was doing it in training I'd be pissed. For me, articles is a separate exercise that I task the dog with on the road. If he's doing just articles he's the man.

For example....we had a guy beat his girlfriend pretty bad, then stole her car key (singular!) and threw it into some hedges along a building. I tell my boy to find it and within 3 minutes he tries to stick his head into some impenetrable tangle of dead limbs and bushes. He couldn't put his nose on the key so he downs 2 feet away from it. I reach in and feel around and sure enough, it's there!

As opposed to this....we run a track on two home invasion suspects. Dog tracks from the scene and as we go along the track he comes across a latex glove, a ski mask, and a little baggie of weed. ON all three items the dog stops to investigate, sniffs, looks back, then continues on. I mark the locations and recover them later. So, instead of sitting on the dope, or downing on the articles I get a different response which I'm totally fine with. Now, I didn't lose points but did get DNA off the items for later prosecution.

Please Register!
Old 03-19-2016, 10:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

That's exactly why I loved "real" scent work with SAR and think sport tracking is a pia.

Please Register!
Old 03-19-2016, 11:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

Training: Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Knauf View Post
Without getting into a sport vs working discussion, that's a bummer. Now, if your boy was doing it in training I'd be pissed. For me, articles is a separate exercise that I task the dog with on the road. If he's doing just articles he's the man.

For example....we had a guy beat his girlfriend pretty bad, then stole her car key (singular!) and threw it into some hedges along a building. I tell my boy to find it and within 3 minutes he tries to stick his head into some impenetrable tangle of dead limbs and bushes. He couldn't put his nose on the key so he downs 2 feet away from it. I reach in and feel around and sure enough, it's there!

As opposed to this....we run a track on two home invasion suspects. Dog tracks from the scene and as we go along the track he comes across a latex glove, a ski mask, and a little baggie of weed. ON all three items the dog stops to investigate, sniffs, looks back, then continues on. I mark the locations and recover them later. So, instead of sitting on the dope, or downing on the articles I get a different response which I'm totally fine with. Now, I didn't lose points but did get DNA off the items for later prosecution.
Are the two situations you described above worked on two different commands, one for just searching for articles, and a different one for tracking?
Meg O'Donovan is online now   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 03-20-2016, 03:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Ate the Tug

Training: IPO

Im at this point right now with my dog.
this has been an interesting thread
shelle fenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!