Going with the wind - Page 2 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » Work Specific Discussion » Tracking » Going with the wind

Tracking All styles of tracking can be discussed here.

tcat left
Going with the wind
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 10-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Undecided
Re: Going with the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Hutto View Post
Hey dude. Nice explanation. Not to hijack the thread, but...do you do heavy footsteps at first too? If so, do you have the dog doing lighter footsteps and/or spaced out footsteps (not heel to toe) like you'd do in an IPO III track before moving to two lane tracking?
Thanks. I hope that monster of yours is doing well. Yep. Absolutely. I want more ground disturbance odor than bait smell. I do it just like you described. I gradually lighten up the footsteps and then start having space between the footprints as the dog gains better understanding and proficiency. - Greg
Gregory Doud is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Undecided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrasita Cuffie View Post
Greg I do one lane as well but with a cross wind, dog might veer. At this point is it a question of line handling or how do you address it.

T
I do not let the dog get off the track in the beginning stages - I simply block him. As the dog understands what tracking is, then he gets punished. I teach him that tracking is a high wire and if he veers off the track by a body length or with all four feet he will get stimulation to teach him that there is a road out there he has to drive on where it will be pleasant as he will find food on that particular path and if he veers off the road it will be an unpleasant situation where he will find no bait and get stimulation. In the final stages it's very similar to electric fence boundary teaching done for property boundaries. Honestly, too lengthy to get into here. This is the cliff notes version. But, in the end, with this teaching he will learn to fight to find direct source if he tracks on the fringe and will understand that leaving the track is an unpleasant feeling with no benefit to him. - Greg
Gregory Doud is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 10-07-2014, 11:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory Doud View Post
Thanks. I hope that monster of yours is doing well. Yep. Absolutely. I want more ground disturbance odor than bait smell. I do it just like you described. I gradually lighten up the footsteps and then start having space between the footprints as the dog gains better understanding and proficiency. - Greg
He's doing good. We got our BH this past weekend. He just turned 18 months, and the testosterone has really been kicking in the last 3 weeks, so that made things interesting . He got out of the car ready for battle, but I didn't have time to get him into ob mode before check-in, so that set the tone for him that day.

He's tracking pretty good, but I think I need to go back and bring the steps a little closer together and get them lighter first, and then space them out again. I think I was pushing the spacing and lightening the steps together a little too fast.
Frank Hutto is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!