Going with the wind - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » Work Specific Discussion » Tracking » Going with the wind

Tracking All styles of tracking can be discussed here.

tcat left
Going with the wind
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 09-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other
Going with the wind

Depending on the wind direction, dog is tracking 6-8 inches to the left or right if the track. Its enough that he misses the food drop. Do you care? He's head down, nose towards the ground.

T
Terrasita Cuffie is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Please visit our Sponsor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2014, 12:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Re: Going with the wind

For AKC it probably wouldn't be any big deal. Basically if you get from point A to point B and alert on the articles your good.

Please Register!
Old 09-28-2014, 10:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

The problem is once this habit develops, they can be so far off that they can miss articles.

T

Please Register!

Old 09-29-2014, 01:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Agree somewhat but when they are off line it's normally to the down wind side so they can still alert on the articles as long as they go to that.

I would go back to a starting box so the dog understand the reward is connected directly to the food on the track.

Also track with the wind coming from your back so the dog has to stay right on top of the disturbed soil/vegetation. Don't worry about corners till the dog stays on top of the track.

Tracking into the wind can start some dog to air scent because the scent spreads out over a distance.

Please Register!
Old 10-01-2014, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: IPO

Tracking with the wind in your back prevents the dog from sniffing out the article too early.

It stands to reason that tracking with the wind in your face will bring the scent of the article to the dog too early.

One can assume that a track laid up to 20 minutes in time will provide a "tunnel" which the dog can follow.

After this time, the crushed vegetation scents widen and also die and the other elements are there, i.e. scent and particle of skin dropped by the track layer, shoe polish on boots, etc.

As for the wind influence with a young to tracking dog, I would allow for the wind influences, not forgetting that the wind at earth level is very often different at that of our noses. "Smokers beware".

There is so much "tracking Information" on the Internet, I wonder why folks do not avail themselves of it.
Gillian Schuler is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 10-07-2014, 06:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Yes there is tons of tracking information on the net, including this forum. Don't assume people haven't availed themselves of multiple resources just because they pose a question or start a training thread.

Please Register!
Old 10-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Protection Sports

what is the dog tracking? for what reason?

Please Register!
Old 10-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Undecided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrasita Cuffie View Post
Depending on the wind direction, dog is tracking 6-8 inches to the left or right if the track. Its enough that he misses the food drop. Do you care? He's head down, nose towards the ground.

T
Yep. I care. I want the dog to track direct source and not fringe odor. It's now why I teach only one lane tracking (one foot directly in front of the other) until after their IPO I. After the IPO I teach them two lane tracking (the traditional left/right normal gate walk where the footprints are off-centered). If you teach with two lane tracking from the start you do not teach tracking nearly as tight as if you do only one lane - with one lane they are either on the track or not. I want to promote the dog to track direct source and not promote casting. I found that initially teaching with the two lane style promotes more of a scanning or browsing form of tracking and it can only increase the chances of the dog losing the track. - Greg
Gregory Doud is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 10-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory Doud View Post
Yep. I care. I want the dog to track direct source and not fringe odor. It's now why I teach only one lane tracking (one foot directly in front of the other) until after their IPO I. After the IPO I teach them two lane tracking (the traditional left/right normal gate walk where the footprints are off-centered). If you teach with two lane tracking from the start you do not teach tracking nearly as tight as if you do only one lane - with one lane they are either on the track or not. I want to promote the dog to track direct source and not promote casting. I found that initially teaching with the two lane style promotes more of a scanning or browsing form of tracking and it can only increase the chances of the dog losing the track. - Greg
Hey dude. Nice explanation. Not to hijack the thread, but...do you do heavy footsteps at first too? If so, do you have the dog doing lighter footsteps and/or spaced out footsteps (not heel to toe) like you'd do in an IPO III track before moving to two lane tracking?
Frank Hutto is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 10-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Greg I do one lane as well but with a cross wind, dog might veer. At this point is it a question of line handling or how do you address it.

T

Please Register!