Working with my eight week old Dutch? - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » Work Specific Discussion » Raising A Working Puppy » Working with my eight week old Dutch?

Raising A Working Puppy Discussion about raising your working puppy.

tcat left
Working with my eight week old Dutch?
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 08-29-2015, 07:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Schutzhund
Working with my eight week old Dutch?

Hey all, attached is a picture of our 8 week old Dutch Shepherd puppy London.

We are going to work with Wallace Payne at South Metro ATL Schutzhund club. Until we do, does anyone have any recommendations for what tondo with the pup until we start formal training? We play tug, when she gets a full grip, I let go. She runs and plays just like a puppy, but I wonder if I should harness that energy into something positive for the future? I have been just enjoying the process as I go, but I plan on working on handler focus, but wonder if now is the right time?

Anyway, your input is invaluable to me when I appreciate any and all responses in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1440852149968.jpg (271.1 KB, 46 views)
Anthony Arrants is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Please visit our Sponsor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2015, 07:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Protection Sports
Re: Working with my eight week old Dutch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Arrants View Post
Hey all, attached is a picture of our 8 week old Dutch Shepherd puppy London.

We are going to work with Wallace Payne at South Metro ATL Schutzhund club. Until we do, does anyone have any recommendations for what tondo with the pup until we start formal training? We play tug, when she gets a full grip, I let go. She runs and plays just like a puppy, but I wonder if I should harness that energy into something positive for the future? I have been just enjoying the process as I go, but I plan on working on handler focus, but wonder if now is the right time?

Anyway, your input is invaluable to me when I appreciate any and all responses in advance!
best thing to do would be to ask Wallace Payne, since he will be helping you with the dog in the future.

At what age will you start "formal training"????

Please Register!
Old 08-29-2015, 07:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

When Wallace Payne tells me to, just as your answer implies.

Please Register!

Old 08-29-2015, 08:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Protection Sports

lol ok

how about this, dont do anything to work towards screwing up the dogs bite/grip. or anything else that might be detrimental to future training.

I would say take the pup out and get it in as many different environments/surroundings as you can.on different surfaces..cant go wrong there, unless you go wrong...

Please Register!
Old 08-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Unless I go wrong?

Please Register!
Old 08-29-2015, 08:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joby Becker View Post
lol ok

how about this, dont do anything to work towards screwing up the dogs bite/grip. or anything else that might be detrimental to future training.

I would say take the pup out and get it in as many different environments/surroundings as you can.on different surfaces..cant go wrong there, unless you go wrong...
I appreciate the sound advice on some parts, but I can't help but wonder if you are trying to be a bit of a smartass with me. Is this the case?

Edit: if I am simply misunderstanding your personality, please disregard.

Last edited by Anthony Arrants; 08-29-2015 at 09:04 AM..

Please Register!
Old 08-29-2015, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: French Ring

Quote:
I appreciate the sound advice on some parts, but I can't help but wonder if you are trying to be a bit of a smartass with me. Is this the case?

As Joby was alluding too, just do a lot of environmental stuff (age appropriate) where the pup doesn't get overwhelmed. Play play play, short sessions to work with and bond with you and then back to the crate. If you are feeding kibble, use that to help the pup bond to you as well. I'd feed a good part of his meals through out the day by having him engage with you. You can shape heeling, fronts, positions with food in a no pressure fun kind of way.

Joby is correct. Many people in their excitement with a new pup will screw up a puppy by doing way to much and expecting way to much. There isn't no really right or wrong answer or even an obvious answer for this. But doing to much tugging or shaping OB is usually to much pressure for no need, with a pup your age. Just keep it simple and you won't mess up the pup for future stuff. Haste makes waste!

If you can make it or allowed to go to the training field at this point (ask first) even if you are not training the car ride and the exposure to the sounds of the field is training in itself, I'd do it. Then you can query senior trainers and as well as Wallace when he is available. As well as work your own field etiquette. Wallace is a great trainer I've had the pleasure to train with him multiple times you are very lucky to have him as a training director.

Please Register!
Old 08-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Empey View Post
Quote:

As Joby was alluding too, just do a lot of environmental stuff (age appropriate) where the pup doesn't get overwhelmed. Play play play, short sessions to work with and bond with you and then back to the crate. If you are feeding kibble, use that to help the pup bond to you as well. I'd feed a good part of his meals through out the day by having him engage with you. You can shape heeling, fronts, positions with food in a no pressure fun kind of way.

Joby is correct. Many people in their excitement with a new pup will screw up a puppy by doing way to much and expecting way to much. There isn't no really right or wrong answer or even an obvious answer for this. But doing to much tugging or shaping OB is usually to much pressure for no need, with a pup your age. Just keep it simple and you won't mess up the pup for future stuff. Haste makes waste!

If you can make it or allowed to go to the training field at this point (ask first) even if you are not training the car ride and the exposure to the sounds of the field is training in itself, I'd do it. Then you can query senior trainers and as well as Wallace when he is available. As well as work your own field etiquette. Wallace is a great trainer I've had the pleasure to train with him multiple times you are very lucky to have him as a training director.
This is all fantastic advice and I thank you so much.

That was what I was worried about as far as being too hasty with training.

I understand the notion of crate training, at this stage in her life, what is beneficial to the puppy and her training by being confined when not training or eating?

Please Register!
Old 08-29-2015, 01:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: IPO

Just take it easy. Play with it. An 8-week old pup is just as happy in the back yard as anywhere else. When it has got used to its home, you can take it out to the forest, let it paddle in a stream, take it through the town, village, or what have you. Stand on the railway station and let it see the big trains go by. Take it past a school playground, shopping mall, etc.

It's difficult for me to give advice. I live in a village in Switzerland, near to a small town.

Don't think of doing anything wrong. If the pup is from good stock and you take it easy, nothing will happen.

Think positive. Don't think about what you want to achieve with it. Just hope you have a healthy, lively pup and enjoy this time with it.
Gillian Schuler is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 08-29-2015, 03:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: French Ring

Quote:
This is all fantastic advice and I thank you so much.

That was what I was worried about as far as being too hasty with training.

I understand the notion of crate training, at this stage in her life, what is beneficial to the puppy and her training by being confined when not training or eating?
Hey NP Anthony what is beneficial about crate training for the pup is building that bond with you, nothing really else.

For me as a general rule, each month of age is how long in hours is how long I'd leave a dog in a crate. 8 weeks = 2 hours etc.

Just have fun with her and be thoughtful of the pups age that's all and you'll do great!

Please Register!