Training with food Video - Page 2 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » Work Specific Discussion » Raising A Working Puppy » Training with food Video

Raising A Working Puppy Discussion about raising your working puppy.

tcat left
Training with food Video
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 03-29-2017, 11:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Personal Protection
Re: Training with food Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy White View Post
Thanks for putting that up. I've got a puppy coming in May. So I'm looking at trying to train with food.

Anything in particular you want to learn Jeremy? I will be happy to make a video or I might have one already that is in the neighborhood of what you are trying to get at?
Brian Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2017, 11:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Landshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick smith View Post
Jeremy
i've had lots of customers where i've had them do ALL feeding by hand....including raw pieces

like it has been mentioned recently, keep the dog moving and don't fall into a robot routine of simple sits/downs/stands

short recalls, and heeling goes WAY easier when you use food for a pup, plus you are conditioning the pup to follow a lure, and that skill can come in handy for many OB drills

i got a quality dehydrator and chop/dry raw chicken. one of the best investments i've ever made. super nutritious, cheaper than quality store bought stuff and good to snack on myself...keeps for weeks in summer/humidity, etc

i was picking up empty food bowls for years before i finally slapped my head and started making the dog bring it back to me in the kitchen. great way to condition a retrieve/bring/hold, etc. different bowls made from diff materials. but don't start with your finest bone china //lol//

otoh, if you search the archives will see some VERY opposing views of training with food. i recall one that used it to teach an object guard
- you will also find the standard, "just give him his damn food and don't mess with him while he's eating!" POV

imagination will get you everywhere

Im not thinking food bowl/object guard ...im not that talented LOL

Please Register!
Old 03-29-2017, 12:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Landshark

Rick I dont get my feelings hurt when someone wants to do it another way than me. I mean if they want to miss the opportunity to teach some good stuff while feeding the puppy thats on them LOL ... we have to feed the dog no matter what right? Why not make it last with having the dog offer some behaviors for his meal. In fact I will look I think I have a short video on resource guarding its causes and effects LOL Send me some of that jerky I need to try it out

Please Register!

Old 03-29-2017, 02:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Police K9

I like how he stays focused on you and not the "Fast Food" (chickens). I taught my Dutchie the object guard very much the same way. I transferred from food reward to the bite reward once the behavior was ingrained.

Please Register!
Old 03-29-2017, 03:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: IPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Anderson View Post
Anything in particular you want to learn Jeremy? I will be happy to make a video or I might have one already that is in the neighborhood of what you are trying to get at?
All of it. Lol. My current dog and i are working toward a BH. My next dog coming I'd like to do more along the lines of pp. I'd like to work on focus and a few of the other things. Like speak. I taught my current dog by getting him vocal with play.
Jeremy White is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 03-29-2017, 04:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Landshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy White View Post
All of it. Lol. My current dog and i are working toward a BH. My next dog coming I'd like to do more along the lines of pp. I'd like to work on focus and a few of the other things. Like speak. I taught my current dog by getting him vocal with play.
I had a video showing how we train focus with food in the beginning .. when frigging youtube went google they lost a large set of my vids .. talk about aggravating. I will make another one. Its a good thing to do and the reason for it is because the dog learns that YOU are the key to unlock the door to what he desires. Then you actually become more important than the actual reward whether food or toy etc. Dont be afraid to use a clicker on stuff thats intangible.

Please Register!
Old 03-29-2017, 05:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Anderson View Post
Its a good thing to do and the reason for it is because the dog learns that YOU are the key to unlock the door to what he desires.
Or as Joel Munroe says "go through A, to get to B".

Please Register!
Old 03-29-2017, 05:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Landshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Knauf View Post
I like how he stays focused on you and not the "Fast Food" (chickens). I taught my Dutchie the object guard very much the same way. I transferred from food reward to the bite reward once the behavior was ingrained.

People laugh at the chickens but they realize not that is my secret weapon for teaching distraction avoidance LOL

Please Register!
Old 03-29-2017, 11:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick smith View Post
re : "I use corrections when needed, too -- markers do not automatically mean "no-correction training."

DOUBLE AMEN !!!!
operant conditioning can be used many ways with or without all four quadrants in play...i learned it in the early 70's way before it became widespread in dog training
...karen prior didn't invent anything new //lol//

and Bob
you're not even close to starting a war //lol//
in the quote you used from me, i NEVER mentioned the word correction
- if you can proof without ever needing a correction....GREAT !!!
- i just haven't been fortunate enuff to have a dog that could accomplish all that you did without ever requiring a correction
- i think a dog that never needs a correction probably never even needs a lead attached. when a lead goes tight either the handler is correcting or the dog is self correcting....and hopefully learning, even if the aversive is slight with minimal compulsion attached

- **and this can be done using markers rather than "yank and crank til compliance"

i have ALWAYS stressed to people i work with that a lead should be considered more of a safety item than a training tool, but that is VERY easy to say and VERY hard learn....it's too easy to pop it just because "it's there"
- but with most dogs a lead will be 'giving corrections' one way or the other because communication is traveling up and down it

make sense ?

but if you feel physical corrections are a bad thing and should be avoided in training, then THAT would be a declaration of war //lol//

Agree!

I also agree with Corrections can take many different forms. My comment was no "Physical" corrections.

Loss of a bite reward and a fight with the decoy/helper can be a HUGE negative to many high drive dogs.

That was the foundation to all the dogs on the Schutzhund club.

Basically any Physical pressure on the dogs was from the decoy, not the handlers.

I may have said it before but I believe marker training is more about imprinting behaviors then training behaviors.

Please Register!
Old 03-31-2017, 08:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Schutzhund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Scott View Post
Agree!

I also agree with Corrections can take many different forms. My comment was no "Physical" corrections.

Loss of a bite reward and a fight with the decoy/helper can be a HUGE negative to many high drive dogs.

That was the foundation to all the dogs on the Schutzhund club.

Basically any Physical pressure on the dogs was from the decoy, not the handlers.

I may have said it before but I believe marker training is more about imprinting behaviors then training behaviors.
This is how I train with ICE. I have never been a physically harsh trainer but I am also not against a fair leash correction but any physical correction would send ICE to his dark sad place. We rarely even use a collar, if he has one on it is a flat buckle collar. He is so sensitive to me that a change in my voice is almost a correction to him.
I do love the work he does with a decoy on the field. The whole body anticipation of waiting for that marker word to come......
Patty Beck is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!