Too much affection - Page 4 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » Work Specific Discussion » Raising A Working Puppy » Too much affection

Raising A Working Puppy Discussion about raising your working puppy.

tcat left
Too much affection
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 01-01-2017, 04:31 PM   #31 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Basic OB
Re: Too much affection

I realize this is an old thread, however Rick's comment got me a bit curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick smith View Post
do you feel a bond is built on affection ???
please explain .. that's a strange concept to me
- or maybe we just have different views on what a bond is
Wouldn't the answer to that be partially yes? I think that hanging out and showing affection to your dog can help build the bond. As can training, working together, generally spending time together, finding out what makes the dog tick and feeding into that, then using praise, food, toys, etc. to reward the dog and build upon the relationship. I think it all matters.

While not specific to working dogs or drive building, I think that the relationship is what the bond is built upon, however affection would seem to factor into the whole reward system of the dog's psyche, if that dime store dog psychologist talk makes any sense. Would I be wrong in thinking that?

-Cheers

-Professor Farnsworth
David Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2017, 06:13 PM   #32 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

Training: Undecided
Location: A desert in California not too far from the mountains.

I'm only a novice, but what some in your club are saying seems cruel and backwards. There are surely MANY top French Ring, Schutzhund dogs etc. That have been raised as loving pets on top of being competitors. Why not have it all is what I feel. Nice advice I got from WDF was kennel and/or crate your dog as part of his daily routine so he learns how to relax, but that is where it ends for me. At your pups age, I was working on getting my pup to just chill at my feet at outdoor restaurants, but was spending many hours with him in many situations. Some Mals are late bloomers too. Your club members may be used to seeing Mals from only certain lines. My little Mal is 5 and a half months. He wasn't crazy in bite drive at first, but by giving him just a taste of it at a time and getting excited about it myself, his drive skyrocketed, or maybe he just matured. I say, make him a member of your family and not just a tool in a game you like to play. Have fun
Gina Mezin is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 01-01-2017, 06:29 PM   #33 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

Training: Undecided
Location: A desert in California not too far from the mountains.

One add on, my breeder, from Dantero malinois, well respected on this forum, says you'd better socialize the HECK out of a Mal. Of course, this doesn't mean, just let anybody touch him or fool around with him, but they have to be exposed much, much, more to things than many breeds. Just adding that to the equation. I'm sure you will have tons of fun with your buddy.
Gina Mezin is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!