Too much affection - Page 2 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » Work Specific Discussion » Raising A Working Puppy » Too much affection

Raising A Working Puppy Discussion about raising your working puppy.

tcat left
Too much affection
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 08-09-2015, 11:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Ate the Tug

Training: Schutzhund
Re: Too much affection

Let puppies be puppies. If the genetics are there it not going to screw them up to be loved on like you would any dog. My working dogs sleep in the house on the bed and are just my buddies when the are not training. That being said there are some milestones that I look for with them as they grow.

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2015, 04:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

On a somewhat other note what are people doing for early bite work I've been using puppy pillow and milk jug with rocks in it on a rope
Brandon Hamraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 08-09-2015, 06:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

Training: Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric squires View Post
Let puppies be puppies. If the genetics are there it not going to screw them up to be loved on like you would any dog. My working dogs sleep in the house on the bed and are just my buddies when the are not training. That being said there are some milestones that I look for with them as they grow.
Let pup be pup, I agree. This is a 14-week young pup that's recommended for isolation?! Why the hurry? They can be social and still bite later on. Now should be fun time, and loving the games. Are you training with a lot of GSD ppl. or why the worry about drive? Most Mals I've met have it in spades.
Meg O'Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 08-09-2015, 09:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

She has loads of drive I think what most of them what drive though roof and will do anything for a cracked out dog I was talking to mike lorriane and he seem to side with most people here so I'm think on going that route and just let her be the crazy social puppy she is.

Please Register!
Old 08-09-2015, 09:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

even tho u didn't answer my simple Q's i won't hold it against you

But rather than tell us you talked to someone else and now you will take the (free) WDF advice, invite Mike to become a member here and share his knowledge.

we need more people like him contributing to posts and it would help raise the standards of the WDF in general.
rick smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 08-10-2015, 12:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Working the dog's drive is an outstanding way to build a bond with the dog if you do it properly.

I also believe the dog's drive can only be taken to the level the individual dog's genetics allows.

A good Bloodhound has crazy drive/genetics to track but you wont see to many that are super active, energetic dogs like a good Mal, GSD or terrier.

Please Register!
Old 08-10-2015, 12:24 AM   #17 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

Ive heard more than a few trainers push isolation. Keep the dog in a crate unless working/training or going to the bathroom. They eat and live in a crate for "greater focus and drive."

I haven't seen any of these trainers dogs have more drive and focus than mine...which are with me everyday, all day. In fact, most of the dogs Ive seen are quite the opposite. They loose their minds when they do get out.

Just today we cleared a two story, 50,000ish sq ft medical building with one of mine. Id say his drive and focus isn't lacking.
Brian McQuain is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 08-10-2015, 10:04 AM   #18 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Thanks for all yall help I knew I shouldn't of been second guessing myself im gonna raise her like I did with my rotti

Please Register!
Old 08-10-2015, 11:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

You said that for the last couple of weeks she's been getting very little interaction with you. Have you seen a difference in her at club?

Many times what a trainer means with regards to "isolation" is limiting exercise and affection and play just on the days when you and your pup are going to club. Often a person with a new pup is so excited that they play/work/train a young pup too much on the days when they will be going to club, so that by the time they get to club, the pup is just flat out tired. Kenneling your pup and giving your pup quiet time on training day is not a bad thing at all, won't hurt your bond, won't hurt the pup. It might help your pup focus more on the helper, on club days. It's no different than not feeding a pup or doing a lot of training/playing before going tracking, this is good for some pups, obviously not all, because there are no absolutes in dog training.
susan tuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 08-10-2015, 01:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan tuck View Post
You said that for the last couple of weeks she's been getting very little interaction with you. Have you seen a difference in her at club?

Many times what a trainer means with regards to "isolation" is limiting exercise and affection and play just on the days when you and your pup are going to club. Often a person with a new pup is so excited that they play/work/train a young pup too much on the days when they will be going to club, so that by the time they get to club, the pup is just flat out tired. Kenneling your pup and giving your pup quiet time on training day is not a bad thing at all, won't hurt your bond, won't hurt the pup. It might help your pup focus more on the helper, on club days. It's no different than not feeding a pup or doing a lot of training/playing before going tracking, this is good for some pups, obviously not all, because there are no absolutes in dog training.

Good point
Brian McQuain is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!